Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awesome encounter at walmart

Awesome encounter at walmart

Ok so I was in walmart in Thomasville around 2PM on black Friday shopping with my fiancé and younger brother for Christmas decorations, as I walk in there was a Thomasville police officer at the front door he glanced down at my ruger p95 in a fobus paddle on my hip and gave me a nod. I walked around for prob 45 mins but when I walked by the ammo case I saw the lady working lock eyes with my gun slowly walk from behind it and speed walk towards the front. As soon as I saw that I knew I was about to have to start preaching the gospel of the OC church in a minute. Nothing happened for another 4 mins and then I saw it the same police officer that gave me a nod as I came in was headed towards me. So I stopped my buggy and waited on him to aproch me, by this point my 14 year old brother who is with me magically disappears down a aisle along with my fiancé. He aproches me and it goes something like this

LEO: what agency are you with?
    Me: ******* security but im off duty I am carrying for my personal pertection
    LEO: ok well a associate approached me and said you scared her and she wanted me to “check you out”
    Me: check me out?
    LEO: yes you know how some people that aren’t educated about guns can be
    Me: I just stared at him in amazement and nodded my head
    LEO: so what ya carrying?
    Me: ruger p95
    LEO: one in the chamber? (at this point I start to get nervous thinking he’s trying to find something to complain about)
    Me: of course
    LEO: good its nothing but a hunk of metal without it
    Me: still staring at him in amazement
    LEO: alright well have a good day I gotta get back
    Me: alright you too

Needless to say this is the strangest but most positive encounters with a LEO yet I wish I would have gotten his name but I was to shaken up

Wink

i haven't been on the forum in awhile, but this is a flipping AWESOME story! glad to hear the officers in thomasville (i know one of em) seem to be "up to speed" on lawful possession of a firearm

High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Nice.

I have had nothing but problems at the Trillville walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Preble View Post
    Nice.

I have had nothing but problems at the Trillville walmart.
    i guess i have been lucky i usually go there once a week and this is the only time anything has been said to me although i am used to the strange looks

That is probably the best story I have heard on these forums in a while!

Sweet. Glad it worked out for you. So many of these types of encounters turn in a negative direction it's good to see some people are not completely ignorant toward carrying.

I'm glad the encounter turned out well.

This is how all OC LEO encounters should go under these circumstances, if there is even an encounter to begin with. Obviously we can all say the LEO shouldn't even bother us if we're simply shopping & OCing and that they should simply educate the sheeple who are scared. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with the officer telling the lady, "That is completely legal, but I'll go talk to him just to make sure everything is OK," then proceeding to have a short conversation with you to make sure you're not some lunatic who will snap if the wind blows West.

The best thing that happened here is that the LEO basically had no reaction and did nothing that any other shopper couldn't have done.

i know he prob though something was wrong with me because after i saw saw we were having a positive dialogue i was just staring at him like i was in love
    Last edited by jeremy002; 12-01-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy002 View Post
    i know he prob though something was wrong with me because after i saw saw we were having a positive dialogue i was just staring at him like i was in love
    Long as you didn't kiss'em. Neither he nor your fiance would have cared for that!!

Glad you had a good encounter. I just hope we keep seeing more like that all over the country.

very nice encounter.

Before the Pitt county range day, me and a friend swung by the local chinese emporium to pick up some last minute ammo. The girl behind the counter looked down at my gun, and then promptly asked "so, whatcha guys want?" We bought some ammo, learned that she's been working that counter for 14 years, and was pretty cool to boot.
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Hey jeremy you can thank me for that encouter with TPD I was in their thanksgiving day with my wife and I didn't get the same response they made me put mine up cuz it might scare people shopping that have money that's what the officer told me so u got lucky. How funny we both have the same setup on guns and holsters.

thats really strange but i appreciate it if you helped educate em

That was no lie! that is an amazing Encounter!

Yeah that was the first time I have ever got stopped at walmart in Tville most of the time I get looks or they ask if I'm. A LEO

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy002 View Post
    Ok so I was in walmart in Thomasville around 2PM on black Friday shopping with my fiancé and younger brother for Christmas decorations, as I walk in there was a Thomasville police officer at the front door he glanced down at my ruger p95 in a fobus paddle on my hip and gave me a nod. I walked around for prob 45 mins but when I walked by the ammo case I saw the lady working lock eyes with my gun slowly walk from behind it and speed walk towards the front. As soon as I saw that I knew I was about to have to start preaching the gospel of the OC church in a minute. Nothing happened for another 4 mins and then I saw it the same police officer that gave me a nod as I came in was headed towards me. So I stopped my buggy and waited on him to aproch me, by this point my 14 year old brother who is with me magically disappears down a aisle along with my fiancé. He aproches me and it goes something like this

LEO: what agency are you with?
    Me: ******* security but im off duty I am carrying for my personal pertection
    LEO: ok well a associate approached me and said you scared her and she wanted me to “check you out”
    Me: check me out?
    LEO: yes you know how some people that aren’t educated about guns can be
    Me: I just stared at him in amazement and nodded my head
    LEO: so what ya carrying?
    Me: ruger p95
    LEO: one in the chamber? (at this point I start to get nervous thinking he’s trying to find something to complain about)
    Me: of course
    LEO: good its nothing but a hunk of metal without it
    Me: still staring at him in amazement
    LEO: alright well have a good day I gotta get back
    Me: alright you too

Needless to say this is the strangest but most positive encounters with a LEO yet I wish I would have gotten his name but I was to shaken up
    This is the new sex.

Yeah that's funny I had a good encounter Friday of last week with a DCSD deputy he saw it nodded and let me keep on trucking so to speak.

shame you didnt get his name I want to elect him police chief of my town
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you need is beg enough to take everything you have, the course of history shows that as government incresses - liberty decreases."

LEGAL NOTICE: I am not a lawyer, no content in the above post should considered legal advice

A few months ago the manager of Walmart here in Fayetteville walked up to me at the ATM and said 'Sir, did you know that your weapon is on 'fire'?

I say 'Yes, I'm completely comfortable knowing the status of my weapon and it's always on 'fire'.

End of discussion, continued on with my shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by razor_baghdad View Post
    'Sir, did you know that your weapon is on 'fire'?.
    Dang, how close was this guy to see the selector?

Yeah I know right if got any closer hee would be OCing your gun

I don't know what he carries, but if it's a 1911 or has a similar style thumb safety, it can be fairly easy to tell from several feet away.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

I have an XDM there is no switch on mine. I wonder what they would have said to me. Sir do you know that your gun...is a gun?
    Last edited by Kloutier; 12-10-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: I did not want the thumbs down :-?

Quote Originally Posted by Kloutier View Post
    I have an XDM there is no switch on mine. I wonder what they would have said to me. Sir do you know that your gun...is a gun?
    They might see our little white dot from a decent distance away...lol.
    "God, Guns, & Guts Made America, Lets Use All 3!!!"

Despite the horror stories I hear about people's LEO encounters while OC'ing, These are the stories that give me validation that all LEO's aren't out to get us. Thank you for sharing this AWESOME story with us. I'm still waiting to get my taxes back to get my firearm and rig.
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six..."

[ Kyd: "I think I'm gonna have "13 1/2" tattooed on my shoulder..."

Me: "Why the hell would you do that?"

Kyd: "Thats one judge, 12 jurors, and a half a chance I'm gonna get off..." ]

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    I don't know what he carries, but if it's a 1911 or has a similar style thumb safety, it can be fairly easy to tell from several feet away.

Only if the 1911 has ambidextrous safeties, or is being carried left-handed...

A "standard" 1911 (and MOST handguns with the safety control on only one side) has the manual safety on the left side of the firearm, which would be against your body when in a right-hand holster--and therefore impossible to see...

My guess is that this "manager" didn't see the safety of this firearm at all--he saw the hammer was cocked, and was calling THAT "having a weapon on fire"...

And what about Glocks and DA revolvers? They are "on fire" all the time because they have no manual safety, and are essentially Double Action devices...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast