• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about appeals to higher courts

Gundude

Are appeals to higher courts always heard, or can they be refused? I know SCOTUS can refuse to hear cases, but I'm not sure about the others.
Also, do you think SDSO will appeal if they lose?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
My tealeaves readings is no. Gore is a conservative republican with desires for higher statewide office and doing an appeal would do a major amount of harm to him politically. Also, he won't pull a reverse Fenty, which is appeal rather than take the fall for the gun control team. Everyone was begging Fenty to not appeal. He did. Gore is smarter than that.

Gundude

My tealeaves readings is no. Gore is a conservative republican with desires for higher statewide office and doing an appeal would do a major amount of harm to him politically. Also, he won't pull a reverse Fenty, which is appeal rather than take the fall for the gun control team. Everyone was begging Fenty to not appeal. He did. Gore is smarter than that.

Your tea leaves caused me to pull a hamstring doing a happy dance. :banana:

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Also, on your question...

An appeal to a 3 judge panel is always allowed regardless (unless there's an underlying standing issue, like with Prop 8, but even so the 3 judge 9th Circuit Court court is still hearing the case). It is when it goes higher, like en banc or to SCOTUS, it's an optional.