• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal to Target Practice???

N.Indiana

Here is a good question...I was talking to a person who had just applied for their LTCH here in Indiana. He was concerned that he could be arrested for being in posession of a handgun without a license. If he went to the range with a person who has a permit, they could claim posession. What happends at the range while they are practicing? Legal???

ATF Consumer

I'm no lawyer, but from the way I understand it is during transit, the non LTCH holder cannot be in possession, but at they range is fine as long as the LTCH holder is with the individual without the LTCH.

rickc1962

When I was living in Muncie 12 years ago I had a firearm taken from my by LEO, I was going home from a frainds house, I just bought it from him, I got pulled over for a headlight I think, I had the gun setting in the seat of my pickup unloaded, they said it was a crime to carry my gun without a permit, they did not arrast me but they did give me a ticket, a reciet and told me I could get it back if someone with a permit came with me to pick it up, I was told I got lucky not going to jail.

country69

if it is a privite range it's ok but it is a state run range it is not you got to have a permit to have a gun in public.a state run range is be in public [public property].

ATF Consumer

if it is a privite range it's ok but it is a state run range it is not you got to have a permit to have a gun in public.a state run range is be in public [public property].

Is there any documented info on this? Can you show where it is sited in their rules?

protect our rights

Here is a good question...I was talking to a person who had just applied for their LTCH here in Indiana. He was concerned that he could be arrested for being in posession of a handgun without a license. If he went to the range with a person who has a permit, they could claim posession. What happends at the range while they are practicing? Legal???

Just get the LTCH, its worth it. For a little more go for the Lifetime LTC. Then all your problems are solved.