• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constitutional carry radio ad

xenophon

I apologize ahead of time if this was already mentioned. I'm quite behind on my threads lately.

In the car this evening, listening to WISN 1130 AM (on the radio, I heard the normal monotonous ads come on. Suddenly, there was an bit on how concealed carry is coming to WI, and that there are those out there who want us to pay high fees for training and licenses. And that the voters spoke for less government and not asking the gov't "permission" to defend themselves.

I didn't quite catch the organization website at the end, but it was quite clear it was a pro constitutional carry advertisement.

In many years of living here never have I dreamed of hearing an ad on that topic. Surprised me a bit. Cool ad though.

Tweety

Banned
Thats a lot of money and not very cost effective.

Could you explain that please?

Considering the number of people who will be watching the bowl game, compared to the number of people who are listening to the talk radio shows that are airing the commercial, the numbers are greatly in favor during the bowl game. Not to mention the effect that the visual of the video part of the commercial would have. I would be very surprised if viewing the commercial on TV would not bring possibly ten times the amount of signatures on the petition as the radio ads have.

ETA: Besides may I point out that up until the end of the Campaign, Tom Barrett used radio ads. Scott Walker used Mostly TV ads, yes the cost was greater for the TV ads but ultimately the TV ads had more effect and in the end proved victorious. This same tactic was used by Obama. Like him or not his strategy worked.

Last edited:

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Considering the number of people who will be watching the bowl game, compared to the number of people who are listening to the talk radio shows that are airing the commercial, the numbers are greatly in favor during the bowl game.

Its not just "how many" its "who" is watching.

One could write a thesis on advertising, but to try to briefly explain:

With any advertising, cost vs response rate. How much do you have to spend to get X response (response being whatever action you want from your targeted audience) (signing a petition, buying a product, calling a legislator) there are thousands of responses.

First, an in-state audience is what we are seeking.

We (WCI and the USCCA) can spend hundreds of thousands on a commercial but if it isn't hitting the "in-state" audience, its a waste of money.

It wouldn't make sense to do a national commercial on an in-state issue.

Would you hit a lot of people. yes. would your cost vs response rate ratio be good. No.

IF we thought the viewing audience of the Rose Bowl was the best demographic we'd be purchasing a tv ad on a local station which wouldn't hit the whole state anyway.(with national programming some of the ad time/space is used by the network, some by the local affiliate, at least with the major networks and affiliates, you either go national or local there is no station that can broadcast to the entire state)
The national network space is MONSTER expensive and we'd be spending hundreds of thousands to advertise to people, many of whom would be in other states. They can't help us, they are not our targeted audience. True, many people from WI would be watching, but the cost per response would be very high.

In addition, those viewing are not necessarily inclined to support our position. There IS a danger in advertising to the WRONG audience is you could draw THEM to action if they oppose your position.

The demographics of people likely to support our position STRONGLY reveal that targeted radio advertising on shows like Mark Behling, Vicki McKenna is one of the most effective mediums for our commercial. It is by far the most "bang for the buck". We need to consider 2 variables. A - the most people and B- the most likely to actively support constitutional carry

That is not to say radio is the ONLY medium we will use. We will evaluate our available funds and consider every medium that makes sense, ie has the best cost vs response rate ratio.

Comparing cost to effectiveness, if we do decide to run this on TV, we would likely choose targeted shows. ONE example might be in-state fishing shows. They may only have an audience of 20,000 people, but the demographics of the vast majority of those 20,000 would be VERY likely to support our position (response rate)

If it costs $5,000 to get your ad shown to 20,000 (a cost of 25 cents per impression) (an impression is a viewing) people and 75% (15,000) of them respond your cost per response was 33 cents.

If you spend $100,000 to run an ad that gets shown to 400,000 people, (same cost of 25 cents per impression) but that audience is not as supportive of your cause (they are not gun owners, they are liberal, they are too young to vote, or a number of other reasons) as a whole and only 10% respond (30,000) you reached the same number of people but your cost per response was $3.33

Of course these are all estimates, you never know what response rate you really will get, but the money is out the door either way. Many companies over years of advertising spend and analyze data to see what gets them the best response rate. In our situation, we do not have our own data to rely on, so the best we can do is make very educated guesses based on our analysis, (we do have experiential/observational data about our members, the Wisconsin voting population, etc etc) professional experiences and also considering how organizations seeking a similar demographic audience advertise, the response rates they get (cost v response rate) and analyze our objectives.

Last edited: