• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW question

bluestreak76

I have had my permit for at least a year now but I just recently moved. Same city in Mississippi just a few blocks down. Do I have to get a new permit since my address is not the same any more? I had to get a new driver's license because it expired on my birthday but I hope I don't have to go down to batesville for another day of misery at the Highway patrol for a new permit.

Please tell me I don't have to go back to get a new one because of my new address.

Last edited:

DCKilla

45-9-101, paragraph (9)

(9) Within thirty (30) days after the changing of a permanent address, or within thirty (30) days after having a license lost or destroyed, the licensee shall notify the Department of Public Safety in writing of such change or loss. Failure to notify the Department of Public Safety pursuant to the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) and shall be enforceable by a summons.

bluestreak76

45-9-101, paragraph (9)

(9) Within thirty (30) days after the changing of a permanent address, or within thirty (30) days after having a license lost or destroyed, the licensee shall notify the Department of Public Safety in writing of such change or loss. Failure to notify the Department of Public Safety pursuant to the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) and shall be enforceable by a summons.

Thanks, looks like I owe them 25 bucks.

MedicineMan

I live in Marion, MS

My PERMANENT address is here, even though I might move around.

When we moved to another town fo a while in 2000, I did not change my address/DL/tags because this is "family land" and was not sold or did not have a change of ownership.

I have ALWAYS used my Grandparents address as my PRMANENT ADDRESS.

The law states PERMANENT ADDRESS, not "physical address".
That means using your "parents" address is totally acceptable..... especially if you haven't put down your own "roots" to a long term place of abode.

The way I see it, what does it matter IF you are always able to be contacted at or through that location ???

Last edited:

fiskrb

marionmedic,
Your correct (read current) address will only matter to you when you are standing before a judge explaining why your CCL does not have up to date information.

Your permanent address is where you routinely lay your head down at night...your abode.

Does anyone out there have a supporting or refuting argument to my words? I am not an expert there but being in the military for over twenty years and residing abroad the entire time has taught me alot.

Thanks!

MedicineMan

Your permanent address is where you routinely lay your head down at night...your abode.

I know MANY truck drivers and travelling workers who would disagree with you.

LOL

But for "legal" definitions, you can look into the same laws used by RV "fulltimers" who live in their RV's all over the nation and only have a PO box for a "permanent address".

According to TAX laws of the IRS, State Laws for Drivers Licenses and License Plates, and even the CCW laws of other States...... You can claim any SINGLE residence as being your "permanent".

MilProGuy

45-9-101, paragraph (9)

The "cold, hard" facts!:(