• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car got broke into and now I am the suspect!!!!

Deleted_User

As Audio and Video has been my primary job for the past 11 years, I have a few tricks for recording off your device.

If I can get ahold of Devildoc, the plan was to bring him over if you're available. I figure you'd be better at it than I would.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
devildoc5 I gather this is your first time of someone violating your private space (ie breaking into your vehicle and stealing items) and it usually is an issue of personal space and we become outraged as we have been wronged and want someone to pay for what they have done.

Unfortunately that is where it stops unless someone witnessed the break in and or crime and unfortunate a fact of live in our society and now enhanced more so with cuts in local law enforcement.
Unless there is a greater crime committed, finger prints and forensic's will not come into play, as to the cost involved and in the end it will play out with insurance dealing with the loss.

Interaction with Officers telling them it is their job and you pay their wages will get you where you are at being called a jackass, they nor you are not there to takes someone's abuse.

File the report, file a claim with your insurance and move on, it's the best advice one can offer you.

As to being asked to disarmed, you can still try and address this, regardless if you complied or not. I would avoid and proceed with out the heightened emotions though.
While some support the issue you cannot because you complied I do not agree with, here you did the sensible thing and not push it to a higher level.

Go ahead and vent, get it out and learn from the encounter.

Hammer

Those bastards!
I s'pose they still believe in accidents, too! ;)

Sorry 'bout your car, but it was the same when I reported my garage broken into.
Shrug shoulders, grunt uh-huh, and walk away.
If I'da plugged a couple of the punks that stole my stuff, they'da got all indignant.
Now I'm ready to call the LEOs- to report there's a BG bleeding out on my property.

CenTex

Those bastards!

Sorry 'bout your car, but it was the same when I reported my garage broken into.
If I'da plugged a couple of the punks that stole my stuff, they'da got all indignant.
Now I'm ready to call the LEOs- to report there's a BG bleeding out on my property.

Yeah? They'd tell you that they don't do yards.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Those bastards!

In doing so you will have a front row seat in what they will investigate and how they go about it.

Last edited:

devildoc5

Well the Iphone is not mine it is a friends, he is out of town for the next 24-48 hours doing his job so I will be unable to get it off before that. I will see if I cant finagle something if not I will take M1 up on his offer.

I went by the PD today to file a complaint for unprofessional conduct (obviously OC) and spoke with a sergeant who was the "highest person (I) would be bale to speak to" He wanted to argue semantics about carry and stop and ID and how it was legal and in fact REQUIRED by law. I told him that (forgot to mention this in my earlier post btw) the officers running my name in the computer to try and find some reason to arrest me was total bs and uncalled for. He said "oh well" Went through some more talking points about what happened and he informed me "there is nothing I am going to do about it" At this point he told me to LEAVE the police station. He said this in an authoritative voice and made it clear that I was expected to comply.

When I got outside I checked MY android phone for the recording and IT HAD CRASHED. I have NONE of this incident today on audio.

The officer also informed me that recording a police officer was ILLEGAL (when I mentioned I had the whole previous incident on recording) and told me that I HAD to obtain consent from the officers NO MATTER WHAT! He refused to take a formal complaint from me and only took my verbal complaint and said "there is nothing I am going to do about it"

I guess I am at a loss now. No complaint will be filed apparently. I was effectively TRESPASSED from the police station. Treated like pond scum by a total of 3 Lakewood Officers. And I am not sure what if anything to do next...

Ideas?

G20-IWB24/7

When there was a car prowler in our work parking lot and I drew down on him (screwdriver in his hand), he took off, and the only thing the investigating detective (Tacoma PD) said jokingly was "You should have shot out his tires."

I never got confirmation with what happened, I think they caught the guy, but he was made well-aware that he should reconsider his current line of work. Would've been nice to put your car prowler 'on notice.'

-G20

Deleted_User

Well the Iphone is not mine it is a friends, he is out of town for the next 24-48 hours doing his job so I will be unable to get it off before that. I will see if I cant finagle something if not I will take M1 up on his offer.

I went by the PD today to file a complaint for unprofessional conduct (obviously OC) and spoke with a sergeant who was the "highest person (I) would be bale to speak to" He wanted to argue semantics about carry and stop and ID and how it was legal and in fact REQUIRED by law. I told him that (forgot to mention this in my earlier post btw) the officers running my name in the computer to try and find some reason to arrest me was total bs and uncalled for. He said "oh well" Went through some more talking points about what happened and he informed me "there is nothing I am going to do about it" At this point he told me to LEAVE the police station. He said this in an authoritative voice and made it clear that I was expected to comply.

When I got outside I checked MY android phone for the recording and IT HAD CRASHED. I have NONE of this incident today on audio.

The officer also informed me that recording a police officer was ILLEGAL (when I mentioned I had the whole previous incident on recording) and told me that I HAD to obtain consent from the officers NO MATTER WHAT! He refused to take a formal complaint from me and only took my verbal complaint and said "there is nothing I am going to do about it"

I guess I am at a loss now. No complaint will be filed apparently. I was effectively TRESPASSED from the police station. Treated like pond scum by a total of 3 Lakewood Officers. And I am not sure what if anything to do next...

Ideas?

I will be submitting a FOIA request to LPD reguarding your incident from last night.

I will be getting you a digital voice recorder for Christmas.

I will not be consulting a committee before doing so.

Ruby

devildoc5 I gather this is your first time of someone violating your private space (ie breaking into your vehicle and stealing items) and it usually is an issue of personal space and we become outraged as we have been wronged and want someone to pay for what they have done.

Unfortunately that is where it stops unless someone witnessed the break in and or crime and unfortunate a fact of live in our society and now enhanced more so with cuts in local law enforcement.
Unless there is a greater crime committed, finger prints and forensic's will not come into play, as to the cost involved and in the end it will play out with insurance dealing with the loss.

Interaction with Officers telling them it is their job and you pay their wages will get you where you are at being called a jackass, they nor you are not there to takes someone's abuse.

File the report, file a claim with your insurance and move on, it's the best advice one can offer you.

As to being asked to disarmed, you can still try and address this, regardless if you complied or not. I would avoid and proceed with out the heightened emotions though.
While some support the issue you cannot because you complied I do not agree with, here you did the sensible thing and not push it to a higher level.

Go ahead and vent, get it out and learn from the encounter.

Acquiescence is not consent.

Ruby

Devildoc, I am sorry to hear about your car. My house was broken into the first year I lived here. I wasn't home at the time. I called Renton PD, an officer came out, took a report and said that there wasn't much he could do. Didn't take prints, etc. This was about 11 years ago. Fortunately, nothing was taken. I have been told that the people that used to live here before me were dealing drugs. I think whoever broke in was looking for drugs or money, neither of which they found. My drawers of my chest of drawers were gone through, they were obviously looking for something. Whenever someone breaks into your home, vehicle, etc. it's a yucky feeling to know someone has violated your private space. Sorry about your experience with the LEOs, but getting angry and throwing it in their face will not help you. They are under no obligation to help you and they know it. With all LEAs experiencing budget cuts, a burglary of someone's car is not that important to them. With fewer LEOs to handle calls, they are only going to investigate serious crime. I think they should have been more polite and professional, but you bear some responsibility for that, Doc. Your manner can be abrasive at times. Don't get me wrong, I know you somewhat and I like you, but the LEOs don't. Chalk it up to experience and contact your insurance company.

G20-IWB24/7

Acquiescence is not consent.

In this instance, it is. The law does not address compliance under the 'but I didn't want to, even though I did it anyway' -clause.

He obliged and did not do anything to tell or imply to the officers that he wanted to remain armed. Getting in a ******* match and telling them how to do their job did not help the situation either. Cops will usually reflect the same type of attitude they are being dealt. And in this instance, they did.

Tom Brewster had/has a case. Devildoc, not so much...

-G20

amlevin

Passive–aggressive behavior, a personality trait, is passive, sometimes obstructionist resistance to following through with expectations in interpersonal or occupational situations. It is a personality trait marked by a pervasive pattern of negative attitudes and passive, usually disavowed resistance in interpersonal or occupational situations.

G20-IWB24/7

Passive–aggressive behavior....

+1

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?80794-LEO-encounter-today

Yeah, what happening to 'standing your ground?' I mean, didn't Devildoc get a bunch of 'practice' a while back? So it could become 'muscle memory.' I just don't get what the big deal is. And if you read the former thread, there are some inconsistencies compared to now.

This type of crap frustrates me, I can see how the officers would respond how they did. Then to walk into the station to 'file a complaint.' This is what puts a wedge between the OC crowd and LEO's that might otherwise think we're RATIONAL people. I'm just confused about this whole thing.

-G20

massivedesign

Devil. I have a recorder I am not using. It has long record time and can connect via USB to a computer. It's yours if you want it.

If I can get free for the Sunday meet, I will make sure I bring it with me.

heresolong

I worked retail for some years. I had customers come in with attitudes. I didn't call them jackasses, I didn't tell them they were idiots, I was nice to them. Seems to me that we are the customers of the police. They are hired by us to do a job. I am neither suggesting nor condoning being rude to them, but for them to show up and call the crime victim names because he is upset is pretty unprofessional. Perhaps their greater training and experience should allow them to better understand the frustration of a crime victim and how to deal with that in a professional manner. I have had officers treat me with courtesy and explain the facts to me when I was upset and most of the time it calmed me down quite a bit.

Perhaps we should suspend our condemnation of either side until we hear devildoc's recording.

Now as far as the desk sargeant, he is telling you that he will not take a report to get you to go away. SVG can tell you all about that. I have an easier solution for you. A few minutes of searching found this.

http://police.cityoflakewood.us/doc...port_of_Commendation_Inquiry_or_Complaint.pdf

I suggest you fill it out and send it in, registered mail. Make sure you address it to Professional Standards Section. Be polite, be factual.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
They are hired by us to do a job.

Here is the rub in this conversation some feel they are hired by us and in reality some like to think so but has no truth or foundation to it.

We elect officials to represent us and with in that different departments are formed to carry out different public services in our communities.
For one trying to attach some type of authority over any department personal to include law enforcement is absurd to say the least, they do not answer to us, they do answer to the law and officials in office.

Approaching a situation with the attitude of being their boss and making unreasonable demands would and deserve being told to take a hike.

Trying to compare this to retail sales, wow talk about grasping for straws, different worlds one wants you to buy a products from them and the other enforcing law.

I am interested in the audio, no doubt about it, and if it is seen as the encountered was fueled by devildoc5 now what? Do we take responsibility for our actions or do we think there are none?