• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private property

oliverclotheshoff

kind of along the lines of my ice fishing post can i bomb around on my property on various vehicles without having to put it back in the case

oliverclotheshoff

i found the answer in the exceptions paragraph

5. The vehicle is being operated entirely on private property
and is not being operated in the right−of−way of any highway.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
i found the answer in the exceptions paragraph

5. The vehicle is being operated entirely on private property
and is not being operated in the right−of−way of any highway.

Good catch!
I've got to study it a little closer though. In the same area it says something about how you can not be engaged in hunting, then seems to contridict itself with #5.

:confused:

oliverclotheshoff

but if your open carrying with a hand gun that doesnt meet the minimum barrel length you cant be hunting because it is agains the law

phred

The whole thing

All 5 conditions must be met

167.31(4)(bt)
(bt) Subsection (2) (b) does not apply to the placement, possession, or transportation of an unloaded firearm in or on a vehicle if all of the following apply:

167.31(4)(bt)1.
1. The vehicle is a self-propelled motor vehicle with 4 rubber-tired wheels.

167.31(4)(bt)2.
2. The vehicle is not certified by the manufacturer for on-road use.

167.31(4)(bt)3.
3. The vehicle is not an all-terrain vehicle, as defined in s. 340.01 (2g).

167.31(4)(bt)4.
4. The vehicle is being used to transport individuals involved in sport shooting activities at sport shooting ranges, as defined in s. 895.527 (1), and is not being used to transport individuals involved in hunting.

167.31(4)(bt)5.
5. The vehicle is being operated entirely on private property and is not being operated in the right-of-way of any highway.

oliverclotheshoff

who pissed in my cherios damn i really should learn to speak lawyer

man i thought i had something here

Last edited:

phred

man i thought i had something here

Ya, at one time I thought I did too. I asked a DNR warden about this exemption at a Hunter Safety session last year. He said the exemptions were lobbied into place so that shooting ranges could haul people around to various stations w/o the need for cases.

I guess a squeaky wheel got greased.

Last edited:

anmut

According to most manufacturers, as soon as you modify the vehicle you lose the manufactures approval for on-road use.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA

According to most manufacturers, as soon as you modify the vehicle you lose the manufactures approval for on-road use.

A lot of automotive aftermarket equipment carries the disclaimer of "for off-road use only" or something similar, unless it actually carries a DOT approval, and in CA a CARB exemption as well.

MKEgal

As with many other activities on private property, what the police don't know about they can't ticket you for.
So yes, it's illegal. It's also a stupid law that will (hopefully) soon be repealed.
Know the law, make your own decision about whether or not to follow it, esp. on your own property.
IMHO as long as you're not harming anyone, you're free to do what you want. (Gee, that sounds very Wiccan, doesn't it?)

oliverclotheshoff

i always have carried while running around on my property in whatever vehicle i was in truck wheeler snowbubble but i will be a bit more cautious to my surrounding when i do for now on or maybei will just buy a zippered case

thanks for all the info and good talking points

JerryD

If they want to write me or arrest me for carrying in my vehicle on my property or on my lawn mower I will gladly be the test case that goes all the way.

BROKENSPROKET

If they want to write me or arrest me for carrying in my vehicle on my property or on my lawn mower I will gladly be the test case that goes all the way.

Boom Chik A Chick A Boom. I am with you on that. On my property with no criminal intent, come and get me.

Last edited:

Tweety

Banned
Seems like that is what this guy is doing:
http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/111420874.html

I think we needs to just respect peoples property rights all together. If it is their property then no one can say what goes on within the property lines except the owner. Well that is as long as it does not physically effect anyone outside the property lines that is. Personally I could care less what people do on their own property.