• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is the law on a gun in a closed container at church/school ??

ocholsteroc

My Church has a preschool during the week M-F, I do not know if I can bring a gun in my car during church on sunday??? I was looking on VCDL and I found this ---- HB 1214 Firearm on public school property; prohibits those in closed container in motor vehicle.

Possession of firearm on public school property; penalty. Prohibits a person from possessing an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container in or upon a motor vehicle located at a public elementary, middle, or high school or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle located at a public elementary, middle, or high school.

VCDL Comments
This bill removes the ability for a law-abiding citizen to have an unloaded gun in a container in a vehicle on public school property. Private or religious schools are left unchanged. A citizen's ability to have a gun in their vehicle on any kind of school property needs to be left alone. This bill will do nothing to prevent crime, but only make criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens.

Another Legislative Victory For Virginia Gun Owners!
So it says Victory? meaning? I need a CHP? or anyone can? I thought it was for CHP ONLY.

Also would anyone know where I could find 2011's Agenda for gun laws? I would like to know what might be going on, Thanks.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My Church has a preschool during the week M-F, I do not know if I can bring a gun in my car during church on sunday??? I was looking on VCDL and I found this ---- HB 1214 Firearm on public school property; prohibits those in closed container in motor vehicle.

Possession of firearm on public school property; penalty. Prohibits a person from possessing an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container in or upon a motor vehicle located at a public elementary, middle, or high school or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle located at a public elementary, middle, or high school.

VCDL Comments
This bill removes the ability for a law-abiding citizen to have an unloaded gun in a container in a vehicle on public school property. Private or religious schools are left unchanged. A citizen's ability to have a gun in their vehicle on any kind of school property needs to be left alone. This bill will do nothing to prevent crime, but only make criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens.

Another Legislative Victory For Virginia Gun Owners!
So it says Victory? meaning? I need a CHP? or anyone can? I thought it was for CHP ONLY.

Also would anyone know where I could find 2011's Agenda for gun laws? I would like to know what might be going on, Thanks.

You need a CHP!:mad: Nuff said on that subject!

I don't think the agenda is finished yet plus it should change as bills are filed.
Hopefully Philip will give the highlights tonight.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Preschool is for parents who think (or want to) they have smart kids. It is just another word for daycare or nursery.

[Quote

My wife is a preschool teacher and they do teach them their colors, numbers, shapes, counting, etc.

I have seen these kids come out of preschool and get disqualified from pre-K because when they were tested their scores were too high and other kids needed pre-k more. Then they spend another year in preschool and go straight to kindergarten
:monkey

Preschool is not covered in the gun free school zone law.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
With regard to Virginia law the restriction on carrying only applies to elementary, middle and high schools.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.1

Recent court decisions take the position that "kindergarten" is part of "elementary". No one has addressed the Kindercare/Minnieland phenomenon.

I got the impression that OP thought that the bill pending was already law. For now, at least, and pursuant to Virginia law, anyone can keep a gun in a closed container in his car while he goes to church, into the school, etc. Of course there is that nasty federal statute that prohibits guns within one thousand feet of the boundary of school property unless one have a permit issued by the state in which the school is located that requires a background check.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Because free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Also, because he doesn't want the gummint to keep track of and potentially publish his personal information.

Yep!

Besides...my guns are too big to hide:lol:
That's why I'm on opencarry.org, instead of peekabooglock.com

Last edited: