Thread: Need a rig for my new 1911

Need a rig for my new 1911

Yesterday I got a call that my new pride and joy had arrived, so I went down and filled out the paper work. Now I have 10 days to figure out what holster to buy. I'd prefer a leather holster, one that could be used for both OC(strongside) and CC with some sort of retention. The gun does have a tactical rail, but I don't plan on keeping a light mounted on it(I mainly bought this one because it has a 5" barrel). I am going to attempt to make a holster myself, but also want to buy a good one(in case my leather working skills fail me). Here she is btw(S&W 1911PD w/ Tactical Rail):

Any particular brand or site that makes a great 1911 rig. The S&W 1911's are fairly new so I'm not sure how many people actually have products or molds for them.

Thanks in advance.
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

A 1911 is a 1911 is a 1911... you should be able to find holsters regardless of brand since they are all pretty much based on the same frame. Note: i said should...

I would go with a Galco FLETCH or Hi-rise. I also have a 3-slot COP from Galco that is very similar... I have yet to find a Galco rig that isn't worth the cash.

Thats kind of what i figured. I was looking at galco and desantis, but then I found this:

It is a Desantis, but available through S&W website. Its also a bit cheaper than the Galcos I was looking at. My biggest concern was finding a thumb break that would let me carry with the hammer down/back.

Also, THIS is the kit I was looking at for my homemade holster, but I'm not sure I like the design. I'd probably go with a different pattern and color. Not bad for $20 though.

have you looked into Milt Sparks Holsters? I have a Versa Max II, its not a cheap holster but worth every penny. I have had plenty of 1911 holsters and this one takes the cake for quality and finish. With that being said, if Milt Sparks is not in your budget, I will concur with the other poster, Galco holsters are very nice for the money.

I usually carry my 1911 in a Galco Concealable Belt Holster:
    http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...4053&GunID=316

The holster can be purchased from Optics Planet for $79.96 with free shipping:
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/galco-co...er-5-1911.html

This holster is unique in that it is made with all of the molding in the outside piece of leather, leaving a much smoother surface against your body. It also has an appropriate cant for carry around 4 o'clock.

I have been so happy with this holster that I recently purchased a couple others for another gun.

Mitch Rosen makes an almost identical holster called the President that can be purchased for about the same price (the Express version, anyway). If you wanted a thumb break I'm sure they could add one for a nominal fee.

Quote Originally Posted by cbpeck View Post
    Mitch Rosen makes an almost identical holster called the President that can be purchased for about the same price (the Express version, anyway). If you wanted a thumb break I'm sure they could add one for a nominal fee.
    I have carried Mitch Rosen's gear for several years, in fact all other holsters and belt now rest in the holters container. I perfere Rosen's gear over Spark's and other top makers. His leather belts are the best I have used.
    Last edited by .45acp; 12-03-2010 at 08:29 AM.
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
    I have carried Mitch Rosen's gear for several years, in fact all other holsters and belt now rest in the holters container. I perfere Rosen's gear over Spark's and other top makers. His leather belts are the best I have used.
    Bulman is a step up from rosen, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    Bulman is a step up from rosen, IMO.
    In your opinion......is that what your carry everyday...or just looking at the photos online?
    Last edited by .45acp; 12-03-2010 at 02:08 PM.
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by daddy4count View Post
    A 1911 is a 1911 is a 1911... you should be able to find holsters regardless of brand since they are all pretty much based on the same frame. Note: i said should...

1911 is a 1911, unless your 1911 has a rail. There are holster makers who make versions for 1911's with rails but a standard 1911 holster won't work.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
    In your opinion......is that what your carry everyday...or just looking at the photos online?
    I carried a springfield professional in a lined bulman shoulder holster for about two years. I have a bulman belt which I love. I have seen rosen's holsters and have a rosen belt. The belt is not as nice as Bulman's.

Isold the professionaland holster a few years ago. I should have kept the holster.
    Last edited by kwikrnu; 12-03-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    1911 is a 1911, unless your 1911 has a rail. There are holster makers who make versions for 1911's with rails but a standard 1911 holster won't work.
    this is what i was thinking. none of the holsters at S&W say they fit the RAIL......they only say 4" or 5" barrel.

thanks to all for the sites so far. the problem with a custom rig is hoping the manufacturer has the gun mold.

Also, THIS is the kit I was looking at for my homemade holster, but I'm not sure I like the design. I'd probably go with a different pattern and color. Not bad for $20 though.[/QUOTE]

The leather for that kit comes plain, tan, no pattern. I am currently building the Minimalist (belt slide) kit for my Arcus 98DA, as BHP holsters won't quite fit. The leather for mine wet molded perfectly to the firearm and may not need the strap to hold it in. All I am waiting for now is the vinegaroon to finish dissolving so I can make it black, then finish re-assembling it.

tandy Minimal holster kit

3 Pictures of the holster I made from the Tandy Leather Bullseye Minimal kit. There is a "safety tab" which is just 2 leather tabs with a rubber o-ring that I don't have on at this time. The leather was colored with vinegaroon, steel wool or other iron dissolved in vinegar, which actually causes a chemical change in the leather, turning it black. The front isn't quite as dark as I had hoped but still not bad. As you can see, the leather wet-molded quite nicely to the pistol, which is held securely (I don't think I'd try vigorous exercise but for normal carry it is great).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20101205_093937.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	4715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20101205_094017.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	4716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20101205_093948.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	4717

Hey! I Like Your Rig!

I carried a springfield professional in a lined bulman shoulder holster for about two years. I have a bulman belt which I love. I have seen rosen's holsters and have a rosen belt. The belt is not as nice as Bulman's.

Isold the professionaland holster a few years ago. I should have kept the holster.
    I like your rig and was thinking of getting a Galco "*******" rig for my Kimber Pro-Carry II. The reason is that I am getting old, have spine problems and would like to switch to a shoulder holster to get the weight off my hips. Right now I carry a Smith and Wesson 686, which is getting to feel like a boat anchor.

There are several reasons I am not carrying the Kimber yet: 1. I am still debating what kind of holster to get; 2. I am still in the process of "breaking it in" by firing a lot of rounds throught it; and 3. My wife doesn't know I bought it and I am still trying to figure out how to break the news to her (I ran into some serious "walking around" $ after my brothers and I closed the final Probate on my late Mother's estate...so I converted it to a Kimber).

I notice that the retention is over the hammer, which in my opinion, nullifies the ability to carry in Condition I; but then, I am not sure if that is such a big deal.

Let me know where you got your rig, how it carries, and anything else you can add.

I realize that "Coded-Dude" started this thread asking for advice; but I am asking for the same advice...so I don't think I am "stealing" his thread.

Thanks for anyone else that can add advice.

Upon Closer Look...

Upon looking at your picture close, I notice the retention strap is NOT over the hammer and you CAN carry in Condition I. I like that.

Does anyone know if the Galco system has that feature??

Banned
    I ordered it direct from bulman and it took 6 months or longer from what I remember. I just looked at their website and they are not taking any more orders and the price has went up from what I paid. I liked the holster, it stayed put while running and there are no attachment points to a belt which restrict movement. There are probably similar styles, but I have seen and owned lots of holsters and nothing that looked as well made or wore as well.

Thanks...

I ordered it direct from bulman and it took 6 months or longer from what I remember. I just looked at their website and they are not taking any more orders and the price has went up from what I paid. I liked the holster, it stayed put while running and there are no attachment points to a belt which restrict movement. There are probably similar styles, but I have seen and owned lots of holsters and nothing that looked as well made or wore as well.
    I looked at their site and...well...I thought Galco made expensive holsters!!!

I have a Galco Miami Classic II and you can carry your 1911 in conditon 1 in it with the thumb break in front of the hammer. You do have to stretch the leather a little to make it flexible but it does work. The ******* and the Miami Classic are not totally identical but close enough that I think it will work. You could call Galco to confirm this.
    Last edited by swinokur; 12-06-2010 at 03:45 AM.

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    I have a Galco Miami Classic II and you can carry your 1911 in conditon 1 in it with the thumb break in front of the hammer. You do have to stretch the leather a little to make it flexible but it does work. The ******* and the Miami Classic are not totally identical but close enough that I think it will work. You could call Galco to confirm this.
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar
    I use Galco for most of my holsters. For my 1911 I have a Miami Classic rig with the wide straps and 4-mag carrier to balance things out. For my Hip I have a Side Snap Scabbard.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

I have the Galco ******* rig myself. Carry cocked and locked . You can carry any length bbl. 3 , 4 , or 5 inch.

I have been looking at Lobo gun leather too.

Campaign Veteran
    +1 fo the Galco Fletch. I carried my full size Kimber in one for two years. Good combo of quality and price, works well for OC or CC.

Unhappy Galco "Black Widow"

I have been hesitant to shell out $160 for a Galco "Miami Classic" or a "*******", only to find that they were unsuitable...for my Kimber Pro Carry II. I wanted a shoulder rig for motorcycle carry.

Yesterday, I stopped by Dawsons (Woodbridge, VA), and on the shelf, they had a long discontinued Galco "Black Widow" for the Colt Commander (4" 1911); it was $70.

Although one could find one for about $40 on e-bay, I bought it. It is NOT leather, but very well constructed; and will take all the accessories of the Miami Classic or *******.

The adjustments are very easy and it can be easily configured for both Condition I and Condition III carry.

It is VERY easy to put on and take off...apparently just like the "Miami Classic" or "*******" and I think I am going to carry it more than just when I ride my motorcycle.

I don't know why they discontinued this holster.

Incidentally, I am still not comfortable with Condition I carry. When taking the pistol to Condition I, and when clearing it from Condition I, there is a stage in which the pistol is cocked, with the safety off, and with a round in the chamber. I know that the muzzle MUST be pointed in a safe direction...but still...!

Anyway...I think I like shoulder rigs better now.

I also agree with what everyone is saying about the Galco Fletch. I used one for quite awhile after I got my first 1911. I know you want a thumb break but SERPA makes a great 1911 holster as well.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."