• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need a rig for my new 1911

Don Barnett

Galco "Black Widow"

I have been hesitant to shell out $160 for a Galco "Miami Classic" or a "Jackass", only to find that they were unsuitable...for my Kimber Pro Carry II. I wanted a shoulder rig for motorcycle carry.

Yesterday, I stopped by Dawsons (Woodbridge, VA), and on the shelf, they had a long discontinued Galco "Black Widow" for the Colt Commander (4" 1911); it was $70.

Although one could find one for about $40 on e-bay, I bought it. It is NOT leather, but very well constructed; and will take all the accessories of the Miami Classic or Jackass.

The adjustments are very easy and it can be easily configured for both Condition I and Condition III carry.

It is VERY easy to put on and take off...apparently just like the "Miami Classic" or "Jackass" and I think I am going to carry it more than just when I ride my motorcycle.

I don't know why they discontinued this holster.

Incidentally, I am still not comfortable with Condition I carry. When taking the pistol to Condition I, and when clearing it from Condition I, there is a stage in which the pistol is cocked, with the safety off, and with a round in the chamber. I know that the muzzle MUST be pointed in a safe direction...but still...:eek:!

Anyway...I think I like shoulder rigs better now.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I also agree with what everyone is saying about the Galco Fletch. I used one for quite awhile after I got my first 1911. I know you want a thumb break but SERPA makes a great 1911 holster as well.