• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Important question...hard answer to find!

gmbricker

I guess I should first introduce myself! I'm Geoff, born and (pretty much raised) in Sterling/Herndon VA and an active open-carrier. Now for my question!

I live in VA and own a Ruger SR-9 pistol, however this weekend I will be driving to North Carolina (Greensboro and Stokesdale) and was curious, since I am not a Virginia CHP holder, am I able to transport my firearm with me, legally.

Any statutes, regulations, info provided would be greatly appreciated. I want to feel safe on my trip, and it's hard to leave the house without it!

Great site, and look forward to hearing from all of you. Thanks!

Respectfully,

Geoff

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The basic answer is "Yes".

NC is an open-carry state. Their rules are quite a bit different from Virginia's.

Go to the NC Forum and to www.handgunlaw.us and do some research. It is NOT that difficult to figure out what you will need to know.

Welcome to OCDO. Are you a member of VCDL yet? Go to ww.vcdl.org and join today.

And as much as folks here ar OCDO are willing to help, they are generally quite annoyed at folks who will not do their own research first. If you had posed a specific question about X or Y, showing that you had tried to figure it out, you would get a much more positive response.

You do get bonus points for not calling the CHP a CCW or "license" or the like.

stay safe.

gmbricker

Thanks, figured as much. I did read some stuff from another site regarding NC's laws (or lackthereof) and it was a bit unclear on the interchangeability of states when no permit is being held. I'll keep looking, and yes I've been a VCDL member for a couple years now.

gmbricker

Having a permit does matter, because certain states recognize other states permits, which is why it was mentioned. I am not passing through, I am driving and staying for a week, but if I'm caught with a firearm in my possession in a state I don't live, I don't want to be arrested.

Dreamer

If you legally can own a firearm in VA, you may bring it to NC. Our requirements for possession are nearly identical.

Transport is a little tricky though, without a permit.

You MAY transport it per FOPA regs (unloaded, locked in a container or compartment inaccessible from the passenger compartment--like your trunk).

You may also legally transport a handgun LOADED if it in PLAIN VIEW. That means, NOT in a holster on your hip. Most people without permits will place their handgun on the passenger seat, ir attach a holster to the lab-belt on the passenger seat and put the gun in that holster (the belt makes it more secure, and prevents it from sliding around).

If you do a lot of interstate travel, I'd suggest getting your permit. VA and NC have reciprocity. Actually, VA permits are good in most of the same states that NC are good in, so it gives you a LOT of coverage in the mid-Atlantic region. (Not DC or MD though)

gmbricker

Thanks Dreamer. Now I was reading some things stating it should be out of reach (I think this was a letter from the attorney general) which would keep me from having it in my passenger seat, in plain view. I'm not sure how old this information was, which is why I'm looking in several places trying to put all the pieces together. I think that risking my safety is more important than risking my freedom, and I will be bringing it with me on my trip.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Have you tried here? It states that for an unlicensed traveller, the vehicle carry of a loaded gun must be:

VA: in glove box or clearly visible

NC: clearly visible

Thus, sounds like "clearly visible" is the dual winner. I'd follow the links to each state's statutes to be certain, though.