• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Secretary makes front cover of the Isthmus

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I kinda thought holding it your hand is Brandishing....Wisc carry is about ( Holstered carry ) so why were you holding the pistol in your hand ? Do you know how bad that looks ? Rolling my eyes !! Someone comes around with a camera you guys are all to quick to unholster your pistol and play with it .... THANKS FOR NOTHING !

seems like everytime some media agency does a story about open carry, concealed carry, gun rights some guy is holding the weapon in his hand with a look in his eye that he wants to KILL PEOPLE !!!!! Yes you look at your facial expression !! think twice when someone is doing a story about you...HOLDING THE GUN IN YOUR HAND LOOKS REALLY FREEKING STUPID !!!!!!!!!!!

You all need to attend a Public relations school !

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
There's a huge difference between "brandishing" and simply holding a gun. Particularly in a posed photograph. You might want to grab a dictionary, because if you believe simply holding a gun in your hand is brandishing then I suggest you never pick up a gun. If it had been a story about skeet, would you say I was brandishing a shotgun?

Regarding the photo-- There was one used on the Isthmus cover, another inside with the story, and now this third photo with the online version of the story. The photographer took a lot of pictures, 90% of them had the gun holstered. The art director chooses which to use. I know that they'll use the most attention-grabbing picture to sell the story.

You evidently don't know my "I want to kill" expression, if I have such a thing. What you see is my "I'm sure somebody will give me crap about holding the gun for this picture" expression. Because that's exactly what I was thinking during those shots. In fact, that's what I told the photographer.

Edit: The photos were taken in front of the photographer's house-- I told him I didn't want it at my house.

Last edited:
M

McX

famous. good, the value just went up on my WisconsinCarry autographed t-shirt!

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Great Article! Thanks Shotgun!

I just read the entire article. I think it was done very well and is easy to read. The guy did a nice job writing it and it obviously took more than a few minutes of his and Shotgun's time. Days? Weeks? Lots of time!

I especially think this statement says it best about Wisconsin and Illinois: "I was armed the entire way back from Portland to Wisconsin," he says. "But when I see that 'Welcome to Wisconsin' sign coming up, I had to stop the car, unholster and unload."

I travel frequently and have to do the exact same thing for every trip. !!

Oh, and McX remember who got that shirt to Shotgun so he could put his autograph on it!?! ME! LOL!

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I just read the entire article. I think it was done very well and is easy to read. The guy did a nice job writing it and it obviously took more than a few minutes of his and Shotgun's time. Days? Weeks? Lots of time!

I especially think this statement says it best about Wisconsin and Illinois: "I was armed the entire way back from Portland to Wisconsin," he says. "But when I see that 'Welcome to Wisconsin' sign coming up, I had to stop the car, unholster and unload."

I travel frequently and have to do the exact same thing for every trip. !!

Oh, and McX remember who got that shirt to Shotgun so he could put his autograph on it!?! ME! LOL!

If you look back on OCDO, the reporter, Joe Tarr, contacted me in October asking my help in finding Madison area gun carriers to interview. This was just a couple of weeks or so after the Culver's incident. I posted here for volunteers, but apparently the response was small. Not a surprise, coming on the heels of Culver's. So he kind of focused in on me. He first met me when he came and listened to me talk to 2nd Year medical students at the UW on Oct. 13. He basically just introduced himself. We exchanged a couple of emails and he came to the Janesville event and spoke with me for an hour or so. Then there was the trip to the gun range-- we picked him up on the way out of town. It was a 2-hour round trip, plus the time spent on the range. So, altogether he probably spent about 5 hours with me over the course of approximately one month. Next the Isthmus art director contacted me about posing for some shots. The photographer contacted me via email and suggested a shot of me holding a gun in front of my house. I told him "I don't want to be holding a gun, and I don't want to be in front of my house. Otherwise, I'm fine with it!" (LOL) I suggested that I hold a book. (I was either going to hold "The Shooter's Bible" or a book I have on Constitutional and civil rights in America.) He was puzzled by this and said "The article is about how you never leave your house without a gun." This was my first clue how they were going to spin the story, since I couldn't read it until today when it was published. The photographer then asked if I'd be okay being photographed in front of his house. He's about 10 minutes from me, so I said okay, and that I'd bring a gun. The photographer had his lights and reflectors set up on the sidewalk when I got there. I brought along a number of guns, I had a tiny Kel-Tec P3AT and a couple others with me. I thought the photo might be somewhat humorous if I had a just a small gun. But he told me that the article mentioned the Glock 23, which I had told the reporter is the gun I carried the most frequently, and was the gun he shot at the range. (He also shot my G35 and Ruger SP101.) So that's the gun in the photos, since it relates to the story somewhat.

We froze our butts off doing the shots. The wind started to kick up, blowing his equipment around on the stands. Of course the majority of photos simply involved me standing with a holstered gun. We did just a few at the end with the gun being held, and I suspected that the art director would choose those because they're more attention-getting than my ugly mug. Apparently I was right.

What the article was like prior to the editor getting it, I don't know. There are a few minor technical errors-- the holster was Kydex, not metal. We shoot Simunitions ammo during the shoot-don't shoot scenarios, not paint balls. But overall it was fairly accurate where it counts. I put comments online on the Isthmus website for additional clarification of where I stand.

I stopped at Woodmans around noon to get a few things and pick up a copy of the Isthmus to read the article. As I was getting the paper on my way out a guy was picking up a copy in front of me. I said "they picked a handsome guy for the cover this week" and he glanced at me and then the paper and mumbled "ah... yeah." As I loaded my car I noticed him sitting in his truck reading it.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
A Handsome Guy On The Front Cover

If you look back on OCDO, the reporter, Joe Tarr, contacted me in October asking my help in finding Madison area gun carriers to interview. This was just a couple of weeks or so after the Culver's incident. I posted here for volunteers, but apparently the response was small. Not a surprise, coming on the heels of Culver's. So he kind of focused in on me. He first met me when he came and listened to me talk to 2nd Year medical students at the UW on Oct. 13. He basically just introduced himself. We exchanged a couple of emails and he came to the Janesville event and spoke with me for an hour or so. Then there was the trip to the gun range-- we picked him up on the way out of town. It was a 2-hour round trip, plus the time spent on the range. So, altogether he probably spent about 5 hours with me over the course of approximately one month. Next the Isthmus art director contacted me about posing for some shots. The photographer contacted me via email and suggested a shot of me holding a gun in front of my house. I told him "I don't want to be holding a gun, and I don't want to be in front of my house. Otherwise, I'm fine with it!" (LOL) I suggested that I hold a book. (I was either going to hold "The Shooter's Bible" or a book I have on Constitutional and civil rights in America.) He was puzzled by this and said "The article is about how you never leave your house without a gun." This was my first clue how they were going to spin the story, since I couldn't read it until today when it was published. The photographer then asked if I'd be okay being photographed in front of his house. He's about 10 minutes from me, so I said okay, and that I'd bring a gun. The photographer had his lights and reflectors set up on the sidewalk when I got there. I brought along a number of guns, I had a tiny Kel-Tec P3AT and a couple others with me. I thought the photo might be somewhat humorous if I had a just a small gun. But he told me that the article mentioned the Glock 23, which I had told the reporter is the gun I carried the most frequently, and was the gun he shot at the range. (He also shot my G35 and Ruger SP101.) So that's the gun in the photos, since it relates to the story somewhat.

We froze our butts off doing the shots. The wind started to kick up, blowing his equipment around on the stands. Of course the majority of photos simply involved me standing with a holstered gun. We did just a few at the end with the gun being held, and I suspected that the art director would choose those because they're more attention-getting than my ugly mug. Apparently I was right.

What the article was like prior to the editor getting it, I don't know. There are a few minor technical errors-- the holster was Kydex, not metal. We shoot Simunitions ammo during the shoot-don't shoot scenarios, not paint balls. But overall it was fairly accurate where it counts. I put comments online on the Isthmus website for additional clarification of where I stand.

I stopped at Woodmans around noon to get a few things and pick up a copy of the Isthmus to read the article. As I was getting the paper on my way out a guy was picking up a copy in front of me. I said "they picked a handsome guy for the cover this week" and he glanced at me and then the paper and mumbled "ah... yeah." As I loaded my car I noticed him sitting in his truck reading it.

LOL! All I can say is the article was done well and I enjoyed reading it. I too wondered about some of his descriptions but figured it wasn't off too much and didn't change the overall value of the article. I do think that this is the best article on firearms rights that I have read for us in Wisconsin. As for the time statement I made I was assuming you took the guy on vacation with you to Yellowstone National Park to some secret shooting range (JK).
LOL.

I do not think there was anything outright negative from Joe and if there was he did a great job when writing it so it did not "spin" anti-gun. I hope we see more of this type of reporting in the future.

Oh, and I understand the statement you made about getting older (my words but you know what I mean). My hair is grey and I am a little younger than you. I need to get some hair dye....

AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!!! :)

phred

Ditto and then some.

Proud to know you, Shotgun. You represent us well.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

The Don

Shotgun, my wife saw the paper today at work and grabbed a copy to bring home. When we picked my daughter up from daycare (she's almost 3) she saw the paper in the back seat and said, "Dada, why are you in the newspaper?" I'm sure I'll get some more of that at work tomorrow, as well.

That aside, it was a good article. The editor's intro link from the daily page you posted is frustrating, but I think your comments/response was nicely said.

Nice work!

BROKENSPROKET

We froze our butts off doing the shots.

I read Golck34's post and your intitial reply before I actually looked at the article, then I read the rest of the posts.

When I looked at your mug to see that 'I wanna kill someone' expression, I thought instead, you were looking like 'its effin cold out here'.

It's a good article. Thank you.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Good Job

I thought you represented very well Auric. I am actually pleasantly suprised by the relatively unbiased article. I mean that even as far as main stream media is concerned this would be considered fairly unbiased and the fact that it is published in the Isthmus makes it even more remarkable.

There will always be inaccuracies and some sensationalism in the articles that we can nit pick about. I read articles every day on subjects that I know well not involving firearms and those same inaccuracies and sensationalism are present there as well. Basically what I'm saying is that you'll always find something you don't like in articles about subjects you know well. The articles are written for the general population by people who usually are not experts in the field.

Anyway, once again; good job! My only suggestion for dealing with reporters who'd like to take a picture of one of us with a gun in our hands is to try to get them to take the picture inside. That should keep the nits from being picked a little anyway.

Last edited: