Thread: Got my Florida firearms license...

Banned

Got my Florida firearms license...

what do I need to know?

Tennessee suspended my handgun permit and the easiest license for me to get was the Florida license. I can't believe how easy it was to obtain. They issued in about two weeks after they received my application. They accepted my dd214 from military service as training.

I know I can only carry concealed for the most part. Can I wear a shirt that says MWAG or something along with the firearm in a fanny pack? Is there a limit on barrel length, color, or capacity?

I plan on reading up on the laws, but hopefully will get down there by the first of the year.
    Last edited by kwikrnu; 12-02-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    what do I need to know?

Tennessee suspended my handgun permit and the easiest license for me to get w the Florida license. I can't believe how easy it was to obtain. They issued in about two weeks after they received my application. They accepted my dd214 from military service.

I know I can only carry concealed for the most part. Can I wear a shirt that says MWAG or something along with the firearm in a fanny pack? Is there a limit on barrel length, color, or capacity?

I plan on reading up on the laws, but hopefully will get down there by the first of the year.
    Just buy one of those "CCW" badges.

attention ***** is the term that is at the forefront.

T-shirt for you
    Last edited by wrightme; 12-02-2010 at 11:26 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    Just buy one of those "CCW" badges.

attention ***** is the term that is at the forefront.
    I don't like those badges, but if you wear one that's your right. Maybe a CCW shirt, a black one with large yellow letters on the front and back.

Nope. In Florida anyway, no restrictions on barrel length, capacity, color. If you can find a way to conceal it, you can carry a Desert Eagle....the BIG one, and paint it purple if you like.

Concealed is the key. So long as it's out of ORDINARY SIGHT, you're good to go.

Restrictions on locations are also fairly limited. No schools, no police/sheriff stations, no bars. The usual. (of note, you CAN carry within an establishment that serves alcoholic beverages. For example, you can go sit in Red Lobster, enjoy your meal, even have an adult beverage or two, just don't belly up to the bar.) In fact, there is no law against drinking and carrying. But, as responsible gun owners, we all know booze and guns don't mix. Carry/drink responsibly.

That's about it.

As far as the badges, t-shirts, etc. go? I'm not touching those. I'm too tired to argue, and there's ALWAYS someone who wants to argue those things. I'll just say that, personally, I don't own anything like those and won't. But, I defend people's right to choose, even when I don't agree.......most the time. *grin*

Congrats and stay safe.

Banned
    Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    what do I need to know?

Tennessee suspended my handgun permit and the easiest license for me to get was the Florida license. I can't believe how easy it was to obtain. They issued in about two weeks after they received my application. They accepted my dd214 from military service as training.

It is not the ease with which it is obtained that is at issue. But, the fact that paying, hiding, begging, etc. are pre-requisites to this very limited privilege. Those pre-requisites, regardless of how lax or permissive, exist. A Right has no such requirements.
    Last edited by ixtow; 12-03-2010 at 07:32 PM.