• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Stupid' gun laws catch owners unaware

Dreamer

The author claims that millions of shotgun owners are breaking federal law, but never goes on to explain what the law is, or how they are breaking it.

This article isn't journalism. It's muck-raing...

If he posted on this forum, he would be inundated with an avalanche of "Cite Please" requests for his claims...

Nevada carrier

from the article...

But the ATF has decreed that since the barrels of AR-pattern rifles are easily interchangeable, if a collector with a legal SBR possesses any other receiver on which that barrel can be installed, he is in possession of multiple SBRs and is in violation of the law if he doesn't pay the extra taxes and register each one – even if he never mounts the short barrel on any other receiver.

Anyone know if this is true? I one day intend to build a suppressed SBR, but I already own an AR with a 16" barrel, is he correct that I would have to obtain tax stamps for both?

REALteach4u

The author claims that millions of shotgun owners are breaking federal law, but never goes on to explain what the law is, or how they are breaking it.

This article isn't journalism. It's muck-raing...

If he posted on this forum, he would be inundated with an avalanche of "Cite Please" requests for his claims...

Do you know what it is? (not being a smart-butt either)

It pertains to the latest "sneaky" rule change the BATFE made that said all shotguns with a pistol grip (w/o a full stock) are no longer shotguns and are now considered to be in the category of AOW (any other weapon) and subject to the NFA registration and tax requirements.

So the article is actually correct in saying that shotgun owners are in violation of the law. What bothers me, quite severely I might add, is that the rule change might be applied to those who possessed these shotguns PRIOR to the rule change.

This would mean that the rule change would violate Ex-Post Facto law requirements. It's also an excellent example of the BATFE being an entity without checks and balances, without oversight, and apparently unlimited authority to make up any crap they deem necessary...especially if they are targeting a specific individual or group.

The article informed me of something I wasn't aware of. I had no idea that if I had an AR in SBR configuration and had other lower receivers that I would have to register EVERY lower receiver as SBR and pay the taxes on them, even if they aren't assembled. That means it would even apply to a blank receiver that is INCAPABLE of being used with the SBR upper.

The information is out there to prove the GCA and the NFA have done little to nothing to stop gun-related crimes. It's time to get rid of both acts and stop the madness called the BATFE.

Daylen

from the article...

Anyone know if this is true? I one day intend to build a suppressed SBR, but I already own an AR with a 16" barrel, is he correct that I would have to obtain tax stamps for both?

peruse ATF's website long enough and you will find that is what they want to enforce. However there is some precedent the other way. Look up the Thompson center pistol exception.

KBCraig

Do you know what it is? (not being a smart-butt either)

It pertains to the latest "sneaky" rule change the BATFE made that said all shotguns with a pistol grip (w/o a full stock) are no longer shotguns and are now considered to be in the category of AOW (any other weapon) and subject to the NFA registration and tax requirements.
I haven't heard that one. Do you have a cite?

I am aware of the ATF ruling that pistol grip only shotguns (like the Mossberg Cruiser or JIT) do not meet the legal definition of a shotgun or rifle, therefore anyone buying one from an FFL must be 21. (The law says the buyer of any firearm other than a shotgun or rifle must be 21; shotguns and rifles, by legal definition, are shoulder-fired weapons, so a pistol grip, while legally a long gun, does not qualify.)

jwidman

I haven't heard that one. Do you have a cite?

I am aware of the ATF ruling that pistol grip only shotguns (like the Mossberg Cruiser or JIT) do not meet the legal definition of a shotgun or rifle, therefore anyone buying one from an FFL must be 21. (The law says the buyer of any firearm other than a shotgun or rifle must be 21; shotguns and rifles, by legal definition, are shoulder-fired weapons, so a pistol grip, while legally a long gun, does not qualify.)

Here you go:

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...on-on-pistol-grip-shotguns-creates-new-danger

KBCraig

What they are classifying PGO shotguns as are "other firearms", subject to the Gun Control Act of 1968, but NOT subject to the NFA, NOT an "any other weapon", not a "destructive device" or any other such NFA regulated nonsense. There is a third category of firearms transferred via a standard form 4473: "other firearm". A stripped AR-15 lower receiver is in exactly same category. This is how a PGO shotgun is transferred.

Spot on. "Other firearm" and "any other weapon" are not the same thing. To the casual reader they might seem synonymous, but AOW has a legal definition, and every AOW is subject to NFA controls.