• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying with light?

Sparky508

I carry a cheap Dorcy "tactical" light. Its got a decent LED lamp to it and runs off of (3) AAA batteries. Makes it easier not to have to try and find a holster that will accept one of my pistols with a light attached, and like you said, you dont have to draw your weapon to use it.

massivedesign

I carry a surefure G2 in my back pocket. I use the flashlight daily (it's amazing how much you will use it if you have one on you). I chose not to have a weapon mounted light while carrying because I use my light for other things.

Sparky508

Not as cool or bright as a sure fire, not nearly as pricy either.

Attachments

• IMG00236-20101203-0711.jpg
    IMG00236-20101203-0711.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 112

swillden

I'm wondering how many of you carry flashlights with you as well and if anyone carries with a gun-mounted light. I was considering getting a mounted surefire light for my P226, but don't know how I would carry that. (Not that the 226 isn't heavy enough by itself). I also thought I'd just buy a flashlight to carry with me so I can reach for that without even having to reach for my firearm.
I carry a "tactical" flashlight and I think it's a great defensive tool when carried separately from the gun as an alternative to the gun in some cases.

A very bright flashlight is a great non-lethal defensive tool. It doesn't incapacitate, but it definitely distracts, disorients and even debilitates a little. A light in the assailant's eyes buys you a little time to get some space, to decide what your next step is and, if appropriate, initiate some other force.

Mounting the light on the gun means that you can't really use the light unless you are justified in drawing and pointing the gun. As a home defense tool, I think that's great, but for a carry tool I think there's a lot of value in having a light that is NOT on your gun.

My light is a $50 Fenix that produces 265 lumens and has a one-tap strobing feature. If I put that in your eyes in any situation other than full daylight you will be completely blinded for as long as I keep it pointed at you and your vision will suffer for a few minutes afterward. Even if full daylight it's bright enough that while I keep it in your eyes you can't see me. The strobing adds a mild disorientation effect. 265 lumens is too much light for use as a flashlight for looking into dark places (the reflected light is somewhat blinding) so a quick twist of the bezel drops the output down to the range of an ordinary flashlight.

I carry the light on my belt on my weak side, so I can deploy the light with my left hand while moving my right to my gun in case I need to draw. I carry the light set to full brightness and just turn it down whenever I need to look at stuff.

Magix

I carry a Fenix LD20 on my weak side. It's pretty slim and runs on standard AA batteries which is why I got it. Around $50 for 205 lumens of light. Has a strobe feature and can be very useful since it's not attached to my sidearm.

jdk

I carry a 4Sevens, Quark AA tactical. Its LED and runs off of 2 AAs. $59. Has 5 light levels highest bing 205 lumens. Also has a strobe, SOS, and beacon. I also found that I use my light alot when I have it on me. I also gave my Sure Fire to my girl friend to carry. The 123 battery's get expensive.

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_306

Just pulled up the web site and they lowered the price to $53.

swillden

The 123 battery's get expensive.
Amazon.com has some pretty good deals on bulk CR-123 batteries. If you buy a dozen they end up being less than $2 each, and they last a long time and provide a brighter light.

There is certainly an advantage to being able to buy AAs anywhere, but you'll have to buy them a lot more. I find a 123 for my Fenix PD20 lasts me up to six months, so I just carry one extra battery in my laptop bag, and I have 10 more in the freezer at home. I never worry about having to find a battery.

Regardless of what approach you take on the battery question, a bright tactical light is a great tool.

FMCDH

I used to carry a surefire type flashlight until it became too much of a pain to carry yet one more thing on my belt, but almost never used. Now, I just use my cell phone as a flashlight (there's an app for that!) when the rare need arises away from home.

If I am going someplace where there is a good chance I will need a brighter or more focused light at some point, I just throw my Petzl Tikka XP Headlamp in my backpack or my coat pocket. Fare more versatile then a hand held, and lasts much longer in most cases.

As for rail attached lights, I attach my Sig STL to my FN 5.7 when I go hiking/camping, but thats the only time I will "carry" such a light outside the house.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Sig...

I have a Surefire TRL-1 light for my Sig229R, it is on the bed stand and ready for use at home when I go to bed. Along with my short home defense shotgun (I should really get a light for that too).

I wouldn't want to carry it; too heavy, would have to point it at a person to use the light, not practical. I have a Surefire E-2 in my glove box and carry a MicroStream Streamlight on my key chain. I am one for not carrying several things on my belt (maybe I am not as prepared as others), but it is just not for me. I generally do not carry my extra mag either, unless I am going to be out of the car in an area for a prolonged period of time. I like to Keep it Simple Sir....

oldkim

Lost of perspective....

Many folks lose perspective when selecting firearms and accessories....

For the every day carrier for self defense.... the "tacticool" effect overrides reason and reality.

As someone else mentioned you need to use the KISS principal and keep your options open. A seperate flashlight is a must as already previously mentioned. One must keep in mind that we are not SWAT or some combat squad clearing a town. To draw to use a flashlight will get you into more trouble than one really needs in life. On the flip side a bedside dedicated gun with a light is a great option.

Remember a flashlight in itself can be a weapon used for close hand to hand and also a strong deterrent to blind and deter aggression.

Every good "gun person" should have:
1) Metal body pen
2) Flashlight
3) Pepper spray of some kind
4) Pocket knife
5) Firearm

Each have non lethal uses yet in the right hands can be a potent self defense tool and the user can adjust to the level of defense needed to overcome most engagements. Remember the vast majority of encounters are not life or death but more self defense "deter type" situations. Where once the aggressor knows it will take more for them to overcome you they will run away.

Bottomline every incident is unique - distance, number of assailants, situation and weapons involvement are just a few factors.

The ability to escalate your response to the appropriate level will be decided upon your training and what you have with you.

CharleyMarbles

I'm wondering how many of you carry flashlights with you as well and if anyone carries with a gun-mounted light. I was considering getting a mounted surefire light for my P226, but don't know how I would carry that. (Not that the 226 isn't heavy enough by itself). I also thought I'd just buy a flashlight to carry with me so I can reach for that without even having to reach for my firearm.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Maby it's just me but if I could I would probly go with a mounted light/laser & a handheld light. I'm tend to try to have something for Mr.Murphy to chew on when he shows up :)

tombrewster421

I won the LED lenser flashlight at the willow lake picnic this year, and I pretty much use it everyday. Much better than using the app on my phone. It's got one LED and one AAA battery, but is surprisingly bright. Thanks Jim.

oldkim

There are flashlights and there are flashlights....

For self defense applications you want a light to be above 60 lumens+.

As you can see there are many out there (lumens and cost points). If you need to see the "light" go and check out what your local gunstore has and see the light differences.

A maglight will be good to look around at night but not the best for defensive purposes. Even an "app" for your phone will be good for going around in a movie theater but not for self defense (don't get me wrong I have all the above too to include a 6 D cell maglight).

A self defensive light....
You want to temporarily blind and even confuse your intended target. When you get 60 or even 90-120+ lumens you can accomplish this without too much difficulty.

Remember to replace your batteries in these babies (frequently at least every quarter or semi annually).

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Close quarters.

OK. I'm convinced to have the flashlight. Not sure at what point I would pull my flashlight instead of my firearm though. Will require some thought.

Close quarters.

We all asume we will be able to retrieve, unholster and fire our firearm. However, that will not always be the case. Many flashligts today are designed with a close quarters defensive use as part of thier function. My Surefire E2 has a scalloped edge for a close quarters encounter.There are others with even sharper edges.

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

oldkim

When to use a light...

Huh, how about it's dark and you hear a noise.

You would pull out your firearm?

You have to clearly identify your target - it could be your neighbor or some kids messing around or it could be one of your kids or even your wife or girlfriend.... or even your buddy who dropped by.

Remember they are tools - when you use them will depend on the situation (Flashlight - lowlight situations).

G20-IWB24/7

I carry a Surefire A2 everywhere I go. I use my flashlight all of the time, so I highly recommend the practice of having one all of the time.

I have a TLR-1 on my home defense G35, as in the middle of the night I have the right to point a gun at anyone who wants to come in my house unannounced.

-G20