• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying with light?

TechnoWeenie

For self defense applications you want a light to be above 60 lumens+.

A self defensive light....
You want to temporarily blind and even confuse your intended target. When you get 60 or even 90-120+ lumens you can accomplish this without too much difficulty.

Remember to replace your batteries in these babies (frequently at least every quarter or semi annually).

Only 120 lumens?

I don't own a flashlight that puts out less than 300, unless it's on low ;).. I'm ordering another that's close to 900 lumens, from a pocket flashlight.... and it has a strobe function.. talk about disorienting.

oldkim

So how much...

I put 120 Lumens as a benchmark. If you can get more than that's great. I used 60-120 Lumens to illustrate it's not a maglight or regular flashlight you can get for $5 from your local grocery store.

So how much are you paying for 300 or 900 lumens? And more importantly how long will it last at 900 lumens (not the low setting)? And lastly how hot does that baby get after 5 minutes? Will it start a fire?

The more lumens you can afford is great.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Only 120 lumens?

I don't own a flashlight that puts out less than 300, unless it's on low ;).. I'm ordering another that's close to 900 lumens, from a pocket flashlight.... and it has a strobe function.. talk about disorienting.

Cite/Link please.

I agree 120 lumens is a excellent benchmark. Both for usability and affordability.

TechnoWeenie

I put 120 Lumens as a benchmark. If you can get more than that's great. I used 60-120 Lumens to illustrate it's not a maglight or regular flashlight you can get for $5 from your local grocery store.

So how much are you paying for 300 or 900 lumens? And more importantly how long will it last at 900 lumens (not the low setting)? And lastly how hot does that baby get after 5 minutes? Will it start a fire?

The more lumens you can afford is great.

About $50.

Runtime is about an hour on 1 18650, it definitely gets warm, and the LED will dim slightly if it gets too hot (reduces output to cool down).

Been running LED flashlights since they 'only' had 120 Lumen output...

XD45ZX10R

My EDC is light is a Fenix L2D. I love that light. This may sound a little dramatic, but it was life changing when I started carrying my L2D. It is unimaginably handy. Outside of work, I probably use it at least 3-4x as much as my leatherman and pocket knife.

My bedside / camping / night time walks / SHTF light is a Fenix TK40. This is the brightest portable light that runs off of conventional batteries that I have ever seen. While overkill and a tad too large for EDC, it is a perfect light for the above mentioned scenarios. I felt sick when I clicked "submit" to order a $150 flashlight, but it is worth it in my opinion.

Luckily there is no where that I can't take my L2D because I feel nearly as naked without as I do without a gun.

CenTex

My EDC is light is a Fenix L2D. I love that light. This may sound a little dramatic, but it was life changing when I started carrying my L2D. It is unimaginably handy. Outside of work, I probably use it at least 3-4x as much as my leatherman and pocket knife.

My bedside / camping / night time walks / SHTF light is a Fenix TK40. This is the brightest portable light that runs off of conventional batteries that I have ever seen. While overkill and a tad too large for EDC, it is a perfect light for the above mentioned scenarios. I felt sick when I clicked "submit" to order a $150 flashlight, but it is worth it in my opinion.

Luckily there is no where that I can't take my L2D because I feel nearly as naked without as I do without a gun.

Golly, I think you're in love, and you make a great couple. :lol: