Thread: Kelso Train Station Weapons Prohibited

Kelso Train Station Weapons Prohibited

This evening, while at the annual Kelso tree Lighting ceremony in the Train station, I noticed a sign with some "guidelines" that people must follow.Not surprising, one of them read "Anything defined as a Weapon is prohibited in these premises except carried those by Local, State and Federal Agencies." I was just curious, are train stations under the jurisdiction of the State? And if so, doesn't State law preempt those rules?

In a word, yes, preemption applies.
    The sign is wrong and you are fine as long as you are carrying within the scope of whatever permits you may have.

Please re-read the FAQ
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...en-Carry-FAQ-s

Of course it all depends on who owns the property.

Private: Preemption doesn't apply

Public, state or local: Preemption does apply

Public, federal: Preemption doesn't apply

Publicly sponsored corporation like Amtrak: Who knows?

Carry on Amtrak...

refering to an earlier article by Mike Stollenwerk, it may be legal to carry while traveling on the train....

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...arry-on-trains
    Live Free or Die!

I remember there being a thread about this some time back before the forum change over, that went on for about 10+ pages of debate.

Just one more muddy "rule" that needs to be challenged.

Look at the Amtrak rules, you will find there is NO penalty for carrying on the train.

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    Look at the Amtrak rules, you will find there is NO penalty for carrying on the train.
    So it's just a suggestion.
    Live Free or Die!

Heh, I was all excited when I started reading this, thought I might be able to travel again (ain't no way in hell I'm getting on an airplane anytime soon). Then I looked it up & realized that Amtrak's routes suck. Everything goes thru LA or Chicago, kinda puts a damper on carrying while traveling.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Amtrak Prepares For Guns In Checked Bags

NRA Reports

Friday, December 03, 2010

Railroad passengers on Amtrak should soon be able to once again transport firearms in checked baggage. The change is slated to begin on Dec. 15, the effective date of the amendment by Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., that forced Amtrak to accommodate gun owners. The new service will only be available between stations where checked baggage service is currently available.

As when transporting guns on a commercial airline flight, gun owners should pack firearms unloaded and in a locked, hard-sided container. Ammunition should be stored in a manufacturer’s box or in “fiber, wood, or metal boxes … or in other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.” Unlike airlines, Amtrak also requires handgun cases to be stored inside a suitcase or other checked bag.

Also unique to Amtrak is a requirement (forced by a last-minute change to the amendment) that travelers notify Amtrak of their intention to transport firearms, at least 24 hours before departure. Notification must be by phone (not online), and firearms must still be declared upon check-in.

No matter how seemingly modest the change, and despite Amtrak’s unique restrictions, it’s still too much for anti-gun activists. In a story on ABCNews.com, Brady Center attorney Daniel Vice claimed, “the baggage car’s not secure like a cargo hold of an airplane.” Amtrak spokesman Steve Kulm rebutted the hysterical claim, noting that the rail service modified 142 baggage cars “to provide a secure, safe location for the firearms.”

With airport security and airline baggage fees becoming more burdensome by the week, rail travel may become more appealing to shooters and hunters. The NRA will watch the new program closely to see if any new problems arise. In the meantime, travelers with questions should call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit www.amtrak.com.

Copyright 2010, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
    This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.
    11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, VA 22030 800-392-8683
    Contact Us | Privacy & Security Policy
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Heh, I was all excited when I started reading this, thought I might be able to travel again (ain't no way in hell I'm getting on an airplane anytime soon). Then I looked it up & realized that Amtrak's routes suck. Everything goes thru LA or Chicago, kinda puts a damper on carrying while traveling.
    Done on purpose too.
    I've wanted to take the family on a train ride for nostalgia sake before its over someday, but super expensive and all the routes are ridiculous.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Done on purpose too.
    I've wanted to take the family on a train ride for nostalgia sake before its over someday, but super expensive and all the routes are ridiculous.
    Oh well, road trips are more fun anyway!
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Oh well, road trips are more fun anyway!
    I agree. I'd much rather be in control of the route and go to the places I choose than be disarmed and taken to places I don't care about.
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    We drove to Minnesota summer before last, took detours, drove through the Badlands, could stop to take a picture anytime we wanted. Was fun.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)