• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kelso Train Station Weapons Prohibited

tannerwaterbury

This evening, while at the annual Kelso tree Lighting ceremony in the Train station, I noticed a sign with some "guidelines" that people must follow.Not surprising, one of them read "Anything defined as a Weapon is prohibited in these premises except carried those by Local, State and Federal Agencies." I was just curious, are train stations under the jurisdiction of the State? And if so, doesn't State law preempt those rules?

deanf

Of course it all depends on who owns the property.

Private: Preemption doesn't apply

Public, state or local: Preemption does apply

Public, federal: Preemption doesn't apply

Publicly sponsored corporation like Amtrak: Who knows?

FMCDH

I remember there being a thread about this some time back before the forum change over, that went on for about 10+ pages of debate.

Just one more muddy "rule" that needs to be challenged.

Metalhead47

Heh, I was all excited when I started reading this, thought I might be able to travel again (ain't no way in hell I'm getting on an airplane anytime soon). Then I looked it up & realized that Amtrak's routes suck.:cry: Everything goes thru LA or Chicago, kinda puts a damper on carrying while traveling.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Amtrak Prepares For Guns In Checked Bags

NRA Reports

Friday, December 03, 2010

Railroad passengers on Amtrak should soon be able to once again transport firearms in checked baggage. The change is slated to begin on Dec. 15, the effective date of the amendment by Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., that forced Amtrak to accommodate gun owners. The new service will only be available between stations where checked baggage service is currently available.

As when transporting guns on a commercial airline flight, gun owners should pack firearms unloaded and in a locked, hard-sided container. Ammunition should be stored in a manufacturer’s box or in “fiber, wood, or metal boxes … or in other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.” Unlike airlines, Amtrak also requires handgun cases to be stored inside a suitcase or other checked bag.

Also unique to Amtrak is a requirement (forced by a last-minute change to the amendment) that travelers notify Amtrak of their intention to transport firearms, at least 24 hours before departure. Notification must be by phone (not online), and firearms must still be declared upon check-in.

No matter how seemingly modest the change, and despite Amtrak’s unique restrictions, it’s still too much for anti-gun activists. In a story on ABCNews.com, Brady Center attorney Daniel Vice claimed, “the baggage car’s not secure like a cargo hold of an airplane.” Amtrak spokesman Steve Kulm rebutted the hysterical claim, noting that the rail service modified 142 baggage cars “to provide a secure, safe location for the firearms.”

With airport security and airline baggage fees becoming more burdensome by the week, rail travel may become more appealing to shooters and hunters. The NRA will watch the new program closely to see if any new problems arise. In the meantime, travelers with questions should call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit www.amtrak.com.

Copyright 2010, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.
11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, VA 22030 800-392-8683
Contact Us | Privacy & Security Policy

sudden valley gunner

Heh, I was all excited when I started reading this, thought I might be able to travel again (ain't no way in hell I'm getting on an airplane anytime soon). Then I looked it up & realized that Amtrak's routes suck.:cry: Everything goes thru LA or Chicago, kinda puts a damper on carrying while traveling.

Done on purpose too.
I've wanted to take the family on a train ride for nostalgia sake before its over someday, but super expensive and all the routes are ridiculous.