• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When should young boy be allow to shoot a pistol!

Onnie

Thanks all,

the question was just to find out the AGE you let your son/daughter shoot for the first time.

as a former Marine Corps DI I have taught hundreds if not thousands of Marines the art of shooting. I am quite qualified on knowing when my grandson is ready to shoot a weapon and how to teach him all the safety aspects needed and how to proceed with his training.

What I was looking for was a general idea of the AGE that parents/grandparents started allowing their sons/daughters to shoot.

I have raised my grandson off and on from his first day of life and as the only man in his life it has fallen on me to "teach" him the ways of becoming a "Man".

I believe understanding a weapon and learning how to shoot it, is such a passage he needs.

Many of you know the trials and tribulations of me having a handgun in the house with my wife. While I have always had a arsenal of rifles, until recently I have not had a handgun in the house due to the wife's aversion against them.

I believe he not only needs training for rifles but also handguns, she on the other hand is stomping her foot "no". While he is not ready to tote a handgun on his hip or even go hunting, i do believe learning gun and rifle safety and hands on training will keep him from hurting himself with my guns now and in the long run.

Thanks again

Last edited: