• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Handbook presented by CLSD, Inc.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
CLSD, Inc. is very proud to announce the release of our Open Carry Handbook. It will be available on our website at http://www.citizensleaguesd.com/p/store.html

After the new year the book will also be available through Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.com (Date to be determined)

You can order the OC Handbook for $15.99, or for a limited time only you can receive a one year membership to CLSD, Inc. and the book for only $26 + $3 S&H This book is approximately 176 pages and is the most complete guide on open carry available today.

Visit the website for more details.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Michigander

This is the one I wrote over the course of about 150+ hours and plenty more research time, with the help of many people here editing and proof reading. I don't wish to name anyone who helped, that's up to every person who did if they want it known. But I will say Generaldet has provided the most help of all in actually publishing it. Thanks everyone!

This book contains every law you would need to know to OC in Michigan, and every question you might want to know the answer to about OCing. A lot of people who know a lot about OCing have given it their utter approval. It was a painstaking effort to get every last detail right. It is a good reference for someone familiar with the laws, as well as a perfect starting point for a new comer.

I don't really ever wish to toot my own horn and demand recognition for stuff, so instead the author of this book is "R. B. Everett", which has a meaning to me which is similar to why the band Lynyrd Skynyrd named their band what they did.

It should also be mentioned that by contractual agreement, this book will only be used for fund raising for CLFSD and for other efforts to further gun rights. Fund raising for law suits is definitely on the table as well. This will NOT be an effort to make a personal profit. It is merely yet another attempt to further gun rights.

Generaldet

Here is the table of contents for the book, it's really quite extensive. Thanks to those of you who have placed your orders so far!

FOREWORD
THANK YOU
THE FOUR RULES OF GUN SAFETY

Chapter 1
HISTORY OF MODERN OPEN CARRY IN MICHIGAN

Chapter 2
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER STATE AND FEDERAL LAW

Chapter 3
OPEN CARRY WITHOUT A CONCEALED PISTOL LICENSE
TRANSPORT OF HANDGUNS, NON-CPL HOLDERS

Chapter 4
OPEN CARRY WITH A CPL

Chapter 5
NON RESIDENT CARRY
NON-RESIDENT LICENSES TO CARRY CONCEALED HELD BY MICHIGAN RESIDENTS

Chapter 6
BRANDISHING, DISORDERLY CONDUCT AND DISTURBING THE PEACE?

Chapter 7
CARRYING A QUALITY HANDGUN
USING A QUALITY HOLSTER
GUN BELTS AND KEEPERS

Chapter 8
CARRYING LONG GUNS
TRANSPORTING LONG GUNS

Chapter 9
STATE PARKS, STATE LAND, NATIONAL PARKS AND NATIONAL FORESTS

Chapter 10
OTHER WEAPONS
NFA WEAPONS

Chapter 11
WHY OPEN CARRY?
PRESENTING A GOOD PUBLIC IMAGE AS AN OPEN CARRIER

Chapter 12
HANDLING HOSTILE POLICE INTERACTIONS WHILE OPEN CARRYING
DRAFTING THE IDEAL FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT (FOIA) REQUEST
REPORTING UNLAWFUL LEIN ACCESS
COLOR OF LAW COMPLAINTS TO THE FBI
PISTOL CARRYING LEGALITY QUIZ
RECCOMENDED SHOOTING INSTRUCTORS AND LAWYERS

Chapter 13
APPENDIX A: STATE LAWS
APPENDIX B: ATTORNEY GENERAL OPINIONS
APPENDIX C: STATE LAWS NOT SPECIFICALLY REGARDING FIREARMS
APPENDIX D: CASE LAW
APPENDIX E: FEDERAL LAWS
APPENDIX INDEX
CONDUCTING FURTHER RESEARCH

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
This is a great reference book on Michigan firearm laws with an emphasis on OC. A must have and a great book for the car.

Last edited:

CarlottaValdez

This is a great reference book on Michigan firearm laws with an emphasis on OC. A must have and a great book for the car.

+1. I read an early version of this book, and it really helped me get a handle on all the intricate/convoluted/assinine aspects of Michigan Law. I looked at it before I started OCing, and I definitely felt like it gave me a very good idea about what I was getting myself into, as well :).

Generaldet

The book should be out in the next few days, It will be available through our website as well as any future events.

Also, we are pleased to announce that Gander Mountain stores will stock the book on their shelves and we are close to finishing talks with other retailers who wish to carry the OC Handbook!!

To those who have already ordered their copies, we expect to have them in stock soon. We will email you when your book has shipped.

Thank you!!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I don't really ever wish to toot my own horn and demand recognition for stuff, so instead the author of this book is "R. B. Everett", which has a meaning to me which is similar to why the band Lynyrd Skynyrd named their band what they did.

I thought you would use Mitch E. Gander.:banana:

RXEight

Not a problem! I'm looking forward to receiving it, and sharing it with my dad, who is fearful of me OC'ing. He only CC, and is trying to push me to only do the same, I understand him 100%, because he doesn't want me to get hurt, and I plan on sharing all the information I learn! Helping out a good cause!

Haman J.T.

+1. I read an early version of this book, and it really helped me get a handle on all the intricate/convoluted/assinine aspects of Michigan Law. I looked at it before I started OCing, and I definitely felt like it gave me a very good idea about what I was getting myself into, as well :).
Thank You for stating "intricate/convoluted/assinine",for an explanation to MI's firearm laws.It intelligently will replace my explanation of "insane"!I'll be getting my copy soon!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I think that if someone wants to know the law regarding OC (CC too), this book is the best there is. Or, I guess they could just spend about a year searching these postings/threads... reading everything... then MAYBE they would at least get most of the information regarding the law. However, the other subjects are worthwhile and that information can't be found anywhere else.
I have a copy, even though I still have the rough draft on my computer. In fact, I was reading it today at work and as I read a section I thought "Oh yeah... that's right"; we all tend to forget some nuances sometimes :rolleyes:
BTW, I originally bought a copy to give to a local library... but I read it so much I'm just going to buy a new one, or two, or... :lol: