• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another new guy with an other oc question

UR115

Hey guy, my name is Taylor and I am new to this site. I was wondering if I can open carry in Ca. I have been told yes I can in Ca but some counties can still say no. So I was wondering if thats true? I've been trying to find out about my county(San Benito County). I am only 20 (21 in a few weeks) but I have three pistols. One in my name and two that are in my moms. All registered and legal. 12078PC has a section that describes how an 18 year old can legally own a pistol if you guys are wondering.

So my concerns are can I open carry at 20 and in my county?

Thanks for any help :)

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

UR115

You can indeed. There are no counties that prohibit open carry because state law preempts county and municipal governments from declaring something unlawful which state law explicitly says is lawful. Watch out for K-12 schools, read the newbie thread, read the info at californiaopencarry.org, watch pullnshoot's videos, take the quiz.

Be careful out there. Don't talk to cops. Don't carry ID. Be polite. Keep your mags holstered and visible. And seriously, watch out for those K-12 schools.

Thanks alot that really helps. The bad thing is I live within 1000 feet of a k-5 school. I guess I can take it to the car in a locked container and put it on once I'm far enough away. Also is it better to carry it with no mag or an empty mag? Thanks for the quick responce and the great info.

chewy352

In case you are wondering why we suggest not carrying ID read this thread.

No mag or empty thread its up to you. Equal and valid arguments for both and I believe there is a thread on here about it if you search for it.

Most people just drive with it locked up as it is too easy to drive into a VDZ.

Last edited:

CenTex

In case you are wondering why we suggest not carrying ID read this thread.

No mag or empty thread its up to you. Equal and valid arguments for both and I believe there is a thread on here about it if you search for it.

Most people just drive with it locked up as it is too easy to drive into a VDZ.

Chewy352, I can't get your link to work. It has an extra http// in the URL. (less the colon)

This one does: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?62338-Theseus-626.9-Case...The-REAL-DEAL!&highlight=thesus

Last edited:

pullnshoot25

You can indeed. There are no counties that prohibit open carry because state law preempts county and municipal governments from declaring something unlawful which state law explicitly says is lawful. Watch out for K-12 schools, read the newbie thread, read the info at californiaopencarry.org, watch pullnshoot's videos, take the quiz.

Be careful out there. Don't talk to cops. Don't carry ID. Be polite. Keep your mags holstered and visible. And seriously, watch out for those K-12 schools.

Also, read the FAQ I co-wrote on my blog.

ryanburbridge

Welcom to the site. One thing that comes to my mind is TEST your equipment! Finding out the batteries are dead when you need to be recording is not good. Test the location of your recording device MAKE sure it picks up clear audio of your surroundings. Print some cards or fliers to hand out. Start mapping out ALL schools in your area. Or the areas you plan to carry. LEAVE the map at home when UOCing. Practice your loading alot. Smooth is fast! Fast is smooth! Practice if you can what you are willing to say to the police. (nothing is best) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik&feature=youtube_gdata_player and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA&feature=youtube_gdata_player It is best to plan in advance how to handle a police encounter. I'll add more later. Carry on.

Last edited:

Robin47

Thanks alot that really helps. The bad thing is I live within 1000 feet of a k-5 school. I guess I can take it to the car in a locked container and put it on once I'm far enough away. Also is it better to carry it with no mag or an empty mag? Thanks for the quick responce and the great info.

I carry an empty in the gun and a loaded one on my left side.
This way it keeps the bad guys guessing. "Is he loaded or not, or is he an off duty LE "?

Carry On ! Robin47

CenTex

Welcom to the site. One thing that comes to my mind is TEST your equipment! Finding out the batteries are dead when you need to be recording is not good. Test the location of your recording device MAKE sure it picks up clear audio of your surroundings. Print some cards or fliers to hand out. Start mapping out ALL schools in your area that you may want to carry in. LEAVE the map at home when UOCing. Practice your loading alot. Smooth is fast! Fast is smooth! Practice if you can what you are willing to say to the police. (nothing is best) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik&feature=youtube_gdata_player and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA&feature=youtube_gdata_player It is best to plan in advance how to handle a police encounter. I'll add more later. Carry on.

Ryanburbridge, you may want to rephrase the sentence in red. I know that you didn't intend to write what you did.

ryanburbridge

Ryanburbridge, you may want to rephrase the sentence in red. I know that you didn't intend to write what you did.

Good looking. I type faster then my brain lol. I only meant for people to know where ALL schools are in the areas they plan on UOCing. Stay 1000 ft away from k-12 schools. Don't carry a map because it will be used aginst you in court.

RECHECK ALL INFO YOU FIND ON THIS OR ANY SITE! LOOK UP THE LAWS YOURSELF!

Last edited:

chewy352

Nice Ryan LOL. Ryans simple mistake is a perfect example of why you always double check and question any advise given on internet forums.

MikeB

Start mapping out ALL schools in your area that you may want to carry in.

These simple mistakes are why you do not talk to the police. Some officers will engage you to make you misspeak, then off to jail you go.

Don't be rude, but after the initial contact one must execute their game plan to handle the police. In other words, be prepared for the officer that does not want you to carry.

With the help of the this forum, I am formulating my personal game plan. Until I have my plan solid, I won't UOC. I have committed relevant penal codes to memory, so I will be knowledgeable, calm and comfortable when engaging police officers.

Asserting OC rights is not easy. You are putting yourself in jeopardy every time you carry. We owe it to ourselves and our fellow citizens to be well versed in the pertinent laws and handle ourselves well in all situations.

Practice articulating what you are going to say. Know what you are going to say to fellow citizens as well as the police. We are the open carry movement, so please be professional and competent.

mb

Last edited:

Firemark

These simple mistakes are why you do not talk to the police. Some officers will engage you to make you misspeak, then off to jail you go.

Don't be rude, but after the initial contact one must execute their game plan to handle the police. In other words, be prepared for the officer that does not want you to carry.

With the help of the this forum, I am formulating my personal game plan. Until I have my plan solid, I won't UOC. I have committed relevant penal codes to memory, so I will be knowledgeable, calm and comfortable when engaging police officers.

Asserting OC rights is not easy. You are putting yourself in jeopardy every time you carry. We owe it to ourselves and our fellow citizens to be well versed in the pertinent laws and handle ourselves well in all situations.

Practice articulating what you are going to say. Know what you are going to say to fellow citizens as well as the police. We are the open carry movement, so please be professional and competent.

mb

This is a very important point, everything you read on this and other sites is peoples opinions, most of which are not experienced case lawyers or district attorneys. YOU absolutley must do all of your own research and KNOW all of the relevant case laws and penal codes, you must be absolutley be prepared for the worst cop in the world on their worst day of their life dealing with you while your OC'ing. You have to be suprememly confident by yourself before you venture out and OC. Its great to hope for the best encounters, but if your not planning for the worst you will learn a hard and terrible lesson very fast.

Some of my advice, and once again its my advice others may disagree.
-primary recording device AND a backup recorder, with new or fresh batteries each time you carry
-always have pamphlets, cards, handouts, paper to give to citizens and LEO.
- ABSOLUTLEY carry sterile, NO I.D. EVER!!!! and do not give your personal information verbally. be polite be courteous but always refuse.
-carry with you the penal code condensed sheets from the opencarry.org main page AND the police departments training bulletins for the area your carrying in.
-Be proactive, ask for a meeting with as many high ranking PD officers(lieutenants, captains, chiefs) to discuss OC, department policies, personal feelings and/or biases of LEO, AND most important get their business cards and have them sign the back with "Discussed Open Carry" on it and the date. Carry those cards with you when you OC. If you are going to be detained cuffed and searched, finding all of the senior PD staff business cards in your wallet signed may help change a bad officers attitude.