• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

seat belt carry?

irish52084

I noticed over the last few weeks that when I sit in my car I can't draw my pistol very easily. I started messing around with a few ideas for changing my mode of carry while seated in my car, and the easiest thing I came up with was to use my paddle holster over the seat belt in a cross draw position. It seems to work ok, but it flops around a bit.

After I did this, I started thinking about possible legal issues. Is there any reason this would be illegal? Only thing I can think of is since the gun is not technically on me, it's attached to the seat belt. I hope there's no issue, because it seems way more comfortable.

oldkim

Several things to keep in mind...

For car seat concerns.

First, you have at least a potential weapon that weights a ton or more. Many forget that you can speed off or use your vehicle to power your way from harms reach.

Second, vehicle carry only applies with a CPL (concealed pistol license). See OC rules

Third, when OC in vehicle with CPL - be careful as you don't want to have someone say you flashed your firearm on them. When pulled over you'll have almost no argument with the police.

So, is it comfortable when seated? For self defense it's get away from harms way. If you are looking at some terrorist wanting to kidnap you (get your car armored up).

Back to reality:
If you have a CPL you can have it anywhere within reach of you. If your passenger has more "access" to it then you and they don't have a CPL (e.g. glove compartment)... not a good idea. There are several threads here on how folks have mounted their sidearms within reach of them. Again, if you don't have a CPL and you get pulled over - your busted. You'll need to unload your firearm before you get in the vehicle (for OC carry without a CPL).

Lastly, the more you handle your firearm in public... the more likely someone can call and say your were flashing the firearm at them. Once holstered don't mess around with your firearm in public areas.

Everyone has cameras so you just never know who is taking pictures of you.

G20-IWB24/7

A j-frame or subcompact auto in an ankle rig works perfectly in this type of situation, and can serve as your back-up while you're outside of your vehicle. To draw, all you have to do is lift your foot up a bit. Far simpler than battling with a seatbelt and cover clothing. I've carried a Kahr (currently an MK9 Elite '03 w/CTC LGs) in this manner for years because of all of the time I spend in the drivers seat.

-G20

irish52084

Man, I feel like an idiot. It didn't even cross my mind to look for a holster that actually fits a car seat. The funny thing is, I've seen them before and for whatever reason it didn't occur to me to look for them.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Serpa holsters are a great way to securely mount a holster and they can be covered with a hat or other item to be concealed from view.

dscf0103b.jpg

dscf0104w.jpg

Last edited:

CenTex

If I'm not mistaken, I think all Uncle Mike's cheapo holsters have a vertical slot in the belt loop attachment. Then get some kind of duty belt that goes around your seat, maybe a couple extra pieces of velcro, I think you'd be in there.

My Uncle Mike's Sidekick does not have the vertical slot belt loop attachment. Mine is at least 12 years old. The newer ones may have the vertical slot.

amlevin

Food for thought

All the methods shown to holster a firearm that are "attached" to the vehicle are nice. They make the firearm readily accessible when driving. Here is something that does need to be considered though. All are attached to the vehicle and require you to draw it and transfer to a "body" holster when you are leaving. This can be an issue if you are in a highly visible area or lots of people are around. If for any reason you have to leave your vehicle in a hurry, and it would be unwise to have a firearm in your hand, it will be difficult with the various "vehicle holsters".

Because a firearm in a typical "strong side" holster is difficult at best to draw while seated in a vehicle, I opt for either a Shoulder Holster or Cross Draw holster when I anticipate driving for any time or going to an area where the likelihood I might need my firearm is elevated (like most anywhere int he Seattle "Metroplex" ). Since I use a Serpa Paddle for most everyday carry it's merely a matter of adjusting the cant to carry in a cross draw manner. If you don't set your Serpa in the FBI cant position no adjustment is necessary. Just put the holster on the other side. Since the Seat belt anchor is the biggest obstacle for most, this is negated as there is no anchor at waist level on the Left Side.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

All the methods shown to holster a firearm that are "attached" to the vehicle are nice. They make the firearm readily accessible when driving. Here is something that does need to be considered though. All are attached to the vehicle and require you to draw it and transfer to a "body" holster when you are leaving. This can be an issue if you are in a highly visible area or lots of people are around. If for any reason you have to leave your vehicle in a hurry, and it would be unwise to have a firearm in your hand, it will be difficult with the various "vehicle holsters".

Because a firearm in a typical "strong side" holster is difficult at best to draw while seated in a vehicle, I opt for either a Shoulder Holster or Cross Draw holster when I anticipate driving for any time or going to an area where the likelihood I might need my firearm is elevated (like most anywhere int he Seattle "Metroplex" ). Since I use a Serpa Paddle for most everyday carry it's merely a matter of adjusting the cant to carry in a cross draw manner. If you don't set your Serpa in the FBI cant position no adjustment is necessary. Just put the holster on the other side. Since the Seat belt anchor is the biggest obstacle for most, this is negated as there is no anchor at waist level on the Left Side.

+1

I've been carrying cross-draw for a little bit now, and I'm liking it. VERY easy to get to the gun while seated in a vehicle, from either side (driver or passenger). I have a BladeTech holster that I still need to get worked on, and the jeans I usually wear have about a 4 or 5 inch area between belt loops where the holster clips onto. When I get in the truck I slide over closer to my lap, and when I get out I slide it towards my hip to get it out of the way. Can be done very subtly too. I need a little grip tape so it doesn't slide quite so easily. Carrying crossdraw also allows you to draw with your off hand (cavalry style), assuming it's not a SERPA.

I've also toyed with the idea, like M1G's pix, of installing a holster in the center console for a dedicated "Truck gun" (HiPoints FTW!).

Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

I also had these thoughts about how difficult it was to draw from the seated position, so I found a Serpa for about $25 used and decided to attach it to my car. It isn't the prettiest but it gets the job done. Also, when the gun is in it, I cannot close my center compartment thingy.

IMG_1146.jpg

Even with that being in my car, I usually don't keep it in that unless I'm on break or something. My work doesn't allow carry, so I have can't keep my firearm on me at work so I can just slip it into that holster while on break and lunch and not worry about the time it takes to put on and remove a holster.

Hammer

Being a lefty, my options are different. Both my rigs have a map pocket in the door. Any of my carry pistols will nest in the map pocket easily. The center console is also an option, with differing levels of hasty access.