• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Open Carry?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Scrutiny

Correct, we are waiting for the level of scrutiny the court will use in determining the constitutionality of state and local laws. While the court always leaves their options open, the quote I posted above (pg. 39-40) is a clear indicator of where and how the level of scrutiny will be determined. I have studied constitutional law and the direction that the 2A is headed is via 'strict scrutiny'. That will benefit OC, loaded OC/CC, shall issue permitting processes and reciprocity. It will still take time for the appropriate cases to move through the legal system, but with the current make up of the court results tend to move in the favor of our side.

alrossitto

On edit: alrossitto, don't be so sure that you now understand how McDonald affects CA UOC. No one can say with any level of certainty yet.

Thanks. I definitely don't feel I understand how McDonald affects CA UOC. I UOC when and where I can for my own reasons and within the law. I mainly started this thread to strengthen my persuasive argument that I will be presenting in front of a college class of mainly younger students.

sraacke

There are plenty of reasons for Open Carry. Personly, it's about comfort. Look, I carry a bunch of crap with me that I really don't want loading down my pockets or stored in my pockets wehre it will get scratched up or otherwise damaged.
For example, my cellphone. I put it in my pocket and I risk damaging the screen or pocket dialing someone. So I have it in a strudy case for my belt.
Same for my keys. I kep them on a belt clip so they aren't poking holes in my pokets. I can get to them when i need them.
I almost always carry a canister of Freeze+P CS/OC spray as a less than lethal tool. Again, this isn't buried in a poket with my spare change. I keep it in a belt holster.
My portable ham radio. Yes, I'm a radio geek. I have been most of my life and have been a licensed ham since 1995. I regularly keep a VHF/UHF "walkie talkie" clipped to my belt when I'm out and about. My better half is also a ham and she is usually monitoring at home.
Alright, you can see where this is going. I've already got a phone, my keys, my OC and even a radio hanging on my belt. Add a pistol and a spare mag case and there comes a point when you just say "screw it" and get a dedicated pistol belt and wear everything in the open. Otherwise you end up walking down the street or getting in and out of your car with your pockets bulging and things sticking you in the leg and you can't get to any of it when you need it anyway. No cover garment is going to conceal it and, hey, I spent 8 years in Catholic school so I just can't get in the habit of walking around with my shirt untucked. I have recuring flashbacks of nuns telling me to tuck my shirt in.
So I have a "duty belt" with my pistol in a triple retention holster, my spare mag case holding a reload and my digital voice recorder, my radio pouch, my Freeze, my cellphone and keys. When I get dressed I just grab the belt and put it on and when I get home I unsnap it and hang it on the bedpost until the next time I'm up and about. Not much different than the Load Bearing Equiptment (LBE) setup I used in the Army.
There you go. Comfort for carrying all the crap I like to carry but don't want in my pockets or try to cover with an impossibly large shirt.

hermannr

I carry for comfort. I do not worry about if it is on my hip in the open, or tucked under a coat, I never intentionally CC, however, because of (winter) weather it may be concealed by necessary extra clothing.

I am of the personal opinion that a weapon carried out in the open is considerably less likely to be needed than one that is concealed. OC is a great deterant, the BG that would like to beat and rob an old gray haired man (me) would probably think twice if he knew I was armed...don't you think?

lagmonkey

Amen!

I could not agree more. :)

Kimber_Pro_Carry_II_20100512_800x600.jpg

Phxbluesman

It too F N hot in Phx

What lead me to start OCing was 2 things...
1: seeing and reading about the crap OCers in other states go through and thanking my lucky stars I live in AZ, I decided WTF...civil rights are like memory and muscles..use em or lose em. People know me as an easy going non confrotational person...dare I use the L word..LOL So I figured like others here, I wanted to set a good example for gun owners.....
Then
2: I realized it was muuuuuch cooler.

So now OC is my first option then CC.

Last edited:

MontyBurns

This is the perfect thread for my first post here. I have been getting in discussions with folks who really believe open carry makes you a "first target". They cite the element of surprise as a key tactical advantage. Many are experienced gun types. I've been CC'ing for a couple years. My dad, on the other hand, is an open carry guy in Wyoming.

If I were a criminal, I'd avoid the guy with the gun and go after the old lady with the big purse and the walker.

Is there any research that proves this to be true? It just doesn't seem like common sense that a BG would choose the armed victim first. They want their transactions easy.

eye95

This is the perfect thread for my first post here. I have been getting in discussions with folks who really believe open carry makes you a "first target". They cite the element of surprise as a key tactical advantage. Many are experienced gun types. I've been CC'ing for a couple years. My dad, on the other hand, is an open carry guy in Wyoming.

If I were a criminal, I'd avoid the guy with the gun and go after the old lady with the big purse and the walker.

Is there any research that proves this to be true? It just doesn't seem like common sense that a BG would choose the armed victim first. They want their transactions easy.

Welcome.

Yes, there is. Criminals, in their own words have stated that they avoid armed people in favor of unarmed victims.

Think of the difference between OC and CC as analogous to the difference between uniformed police officers and undercover officers or between marked police cars and unmarked cars. The former, in all three cases, is designed to prevent crime. The latter is designed to allow the crime to happen while remaining able to react to it. I kinda prefer to stop it before it happens. Others prefer the satisfaction of making the bad guy pay for his nefarious deeds.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Welcome

first target? Haaaahahahaha, would you attack someone with a gun?

Element of surprise? Right, not unless you're on the offensive. As a lawful civilian gun owner, you're supposed to remain on the defensive. If a guy is "casing the joint", he isnt there to rob the place, he will come back later. Unless of course, he sees people carrying guns around, then he wont. If you practice situational awareness, then you will either see bad stuff going down, or will already be in a position to deal with it if something does happen.

Most everyday folks dont notice you OC, the guy robbing the place isnt looking at peoples hips to see who'se armed. He is looking for cops, he is full of adrenaline, and is either high, or he's jonesing on whatever he's trying to buy with the robbery money.

lagmonkey

Nice looking!

I notice your's is in Condition 1 whereas mine is in Condition 0!

Trust me, when I took the picture there was NOT a round in the chamber.

:lol:

Just noticed the Globe and Anchor...Semper Fi!

Where did you get the grips? I found mine at Midway.

Picked up my Eagle, Globe and Anchor grips straight from Kimber America. I must have hit their site weekly for over a year waiting for their full-version grips to be restocked ... up until that point they were just teasing me with their compact grips.

DrakeZ07

*SNIP*I've never seen a direct reply to this category. The answers always dance around the topic, but never say it like it is.

"Why Open Carry?" *SNIP*

I openly carry my .45 Revolver because of a few issues, and key reasons, not to put myself in the spotlight for negative attention from other posters, I'll follow what a former friend once said (which he learned in the Airforce) K.I.S.S. Keep It Short & Simple.

1. I'm openly gay, and reside in a very religious portion of Kentucky; I open carry to protect myself, and my loved one from anyone who would otherwise see myself, and my boyfriend as an easy target for their bigotry, and wish to bring harm to either, or both, of us.

2. I have seen first hand in my EMS experience, those who swear to "protect, and defend", and the minutes, if not hours, they have in their "response time". I would sooner be tried in a court of law for self-defense, than to trust my life with 911.

3. I open carry because it is my Constitutional Right, granted by both the State and Federal government, which I can indulge in, without fear or worry of a politician, or 'special interest group' trying to deny me of another right based solely on my sexuality.

And, to add a little quip; my Boyfriend say's I'm cute when I wear my Pink Hi-point on my hip :)

Last edited:

lagmonkey

I open carry because it is my Constitutional Right, granted by both the State and Federal government ...

Good on you sir, but one quick note:

"The original intent and purpose of the Second Amendment was to preserve and guarantee, not grant, the pre-existing right of individuals to keep and bear arms."
- GunCite

Baked on Grease

Good on you sir, but one quick note:

"The original intent and purpose of the Second Amendment was to preserve and guarantee, not grant, the pre-existing right of individuals to keep and bear arms."
- GunCite

Right, this is a key distinction I point out alot nowadays. The Constitution and Bill of Rights is was not created to grant us anything, it was created to tell the government what they can't do to us... i.e. take away our ability to defend oneself.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Right, this is a key distinction I point out alot nowadays. The Constitution and Bill of Rights is was not created to grant us anything, it was created to tell the government what they can't do to us... i.e. take away our ability to defend oneself.

The Bill of Rights, yes.. the Constitution, no. The Constitution make no mention of rights at all. This is the purview of the Bill of Rights.