Thread: Out-of-state permit

Out-of-state permit

I don't know why this just occurred to me after living here for two years, but here's my question:

I am technically a citizen of Vermont. I got my permit from Virginia when I was stationed there, but now I live here. I've been carrying for two years using my VA permit. Since I'm a "resident" of Mississippi now, am I required to get a Mississippi permit? I didn't see any language in the laws I looked at that requires me to.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    I don't know why this just occurred to me after living here for two years, but here's my question:

I am technically a citizen of Vermont. I got my permit from Virginia when I was stationed there, but now I live here. I've been carrying for two years using my VA permit. Since I'm a "resident" of Mississippi now, am I required to get a Mississippi permit? I didn't see any language in the laws I looked at that requires me to.
    Check with the firearms dept in jackson

if the information on your Virginia permit is invalid you probably need to get a new one. You are treading on thin legal ground. I would recommend getting a new one from the state that issued your DL or where you would vote. Those two should be the same.

No can do

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    if the information on your Virginia permit is invalid you probably need to get a new one. You are treading on thin legal ground. I would recommend getting a new one from the state that issued your DL or where you would vote. Those two should be the same.
    My DL and voter registration are both Vermont, a Constitutional-carry state :-) But I definitely should send Virginia a change-of-address notice at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post

As well as a Mississippi drivers license.
    (unless you meet certain criteria)

Quote Originally Posted by marionmedic View Post
    As well as a Mississippi drivers license.
    (unless you meet certain criteria)
    I do. Same reason I keep Vermont plates on my car: military.