• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out-of-state permit

Eeyore

I don't know why this just occurred to me after living here for two years, but here's my question:

I am technically a citizen of Vermont. I got my permit from Virginia when I was stationed there, but now I live here. I've been carrying for two years using my VA permit. Since I'm a "resident" of Mississippi now, am I required to get a Mississippi permit? I didn't see any language in the laws I looked at that requires me to.

robbyw

I don't know why this just occurred to me after living here for two years, but here's my question:

I am technically a citizen of Vermont. I got my permit from Virginia when I was stationed there, but now I live here. I've been carrying for two years using my VA permit. Since I'm a "resident" of Mississippi now, am I required to get a Mississippi permit? I didn't see any language in the laws I looked at that requires me to.

Check with the firearms dept in jackson

Daylen

if the information on your Virginia permit is invalid you probably need to get a new one. You are treading on thin legal ground. I would recommend getting a new one from the state that issued your DL or where you would vote. Those two should be the same.

Eeyore

No can do

if the information on your Virginia permit is invalid you probably need to get a new one. You are treading on thin legal ground. I would recommend getting a new one from the state that issued your DL or where you would vote. Those two should be the same.

My DL and voter registration are both Vermont, a Constitutional-carry state :) But I definitely should send Virginia a change-of-address notice at the least.

MedicineMan

As well as a Mississippi drivers license.
(unless you meet certain criteria)