Thread: MWAG call at UMW tonight

MWAG call at UMW tonight

Not enough information to tell if this was a raving lunatic, or just an OC'er out for an evening walk.

Campus advisory web page, will no doubt change soon, but for now:

Suspicious Person on Fredericksburg Campus

A student reported seeing an individual in possession of a handgun on campus walk near Simpson Library late Sunday evening. The individual was described as a white male with a black goatee and stocky build, about 5’5” tall, and wearing a dark hoodie shirt with red lining and blue jeans. He was carrying a backpack. Students and staff are being advised to shelter in place, be alert, and practice good situational awareness. The individual is being sought by campus police for further investigation. If you see an individual matching the description, please contact campus police and do not try to engage, stop or question him.

This message was posted at 9:45 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 5, 2010

At least there are no issues with reposting content from a public university web page.

TFred

and staff are being advised to shelter in place, be alert, and practice good situational awareness.
    In other wards, PANIC, you are defencelesss boy, how I hate college.... they leave you defenceless little rat.... But hey they let us drive cars on campus, maybe we should ban those.... I was reading the other day, in Japan they had some guy in 2008 kill 5 people with a knife.... And in the UK some ax murder killed 4 people, no guns were used. what! I thought all crime where caused by guns!
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 12-06-2010 at 12:39 AM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

The modern university is not a friend of the United States Constitution. Being able to panic and retreat is the new skill set imparted to the next generation.

The United States will continue to be at the forefront of freedom as long as the citizens treat every day with a renewed effort to promote life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. There is no guarantee of liberty once it has been achieved. It is in constant need of guarding and maintenance.

I do not fear for this country. Being an American is a blessing. While this site's primary mission is the second amendment, we all should be watchful guardians for every right. When future generations evaluate us, let it be shown that we have yielded no right and reclaimed those lost by previous generations.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider116 View Post
    The modern university is not a friend of the United States Constitution. Being able to panic and retreat is the new skill set imparted to the next generation.

The United States will continue to be at the forefront of freedom as long as the citizens treat every day with a renewed effort to promote life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. There is no guarantee of liberty once it has been achieved. It is in constant need of guarding and maintenance.

I do not fear for this country. Being an American is a blessing. While this site's primary mission is the second amendment, we all should be watchful guardians for every right. When future generations evaluate us, let it be shown that we have yielded no right and reclaimed those lost by previous generations.
    Refering to the first line in the quote above:
    It is JUST THE NEWEST FORM OF "DUCK AND COVER" from the 1950's!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 12-06-2010 at 05:01 AM.

The individual was described as a white male with a black goatee and stocky build, about 5’5” tall, and wearing a dark hoodie shirt with red lining and blue jeans. He was carrying a backpack.
    Aint it amazing how much detail the scared observer was able to provide?

And yet no description of the gun was provided by the Kampus Kops?

If the initial report included the color of the lining of the hoodie don't you wonder if there wasn't a description of the gun as well?

Makes inquiring minds want to inquire more.

stay safe.

Cool

Being able to panic and retreat is the new skill set imparted to the next generation.
    We're not retreating, we're just advancing in the other direction!
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Suspicious Person on Fredericksburg Campus
    {SNIP} Students and staff are being advised to shelter in place, be alert, and practice good situational awareness.
    Whenever I see something like this, I am sorely tempted to, once again, place the link to the essay on Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs. However, by now, I am sure that nearly all of you have read it. It is a tribute to its author that the piece has become iconic in explaining certain behaviors, such as are recommended above.

Translation of Warning:
    "All sheep are advised to huddle at the far end of the pen, post lookouts, and await the arrival of the wolves to kill and eat some or all of you. All sheep are reminded that it is forbidden to take any positive actions in defense of your lives. Good Luck."

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    We're not retreating, we're just advancing in the other direction!
    Marines never retreat, they just have rapid tactical movements to the rear.
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

So why are the campus police looking for him? Were there reports of him brandishing? Did he threaten anyone? I don't see any suspicious activity from these reports and as much as the police would probably like to question him, it seems like there is no suspicion that a crime occurred, merely a violation of school rules if the guy was a staff member or student.

Brandishing?

Quote Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
    So why are the campus police looking for him? Were there reports of him brandishing? Did he threaten anyone? I don't see any suspicious activity from these reports and as much as the police would probably like to question him, it seems like there is no suspicion that a crime occurred, merely a violation of school rules if the guy was a staff member or student.
    Well, read this:

Three officers from the Fredericksburg Police Department assisted University of Mary Washington police last night in a search for a suspicious person, city police spokeswoman Natatia Bledsoe said today.

UMW police requested the help, she said. Bledsoe said city police searched the campus grounds for about 30 minutes last night.

A student reported a man with a gun in his right hand on the Fredericksburg campus around 8:30 or 9 last night, UMW spokesman George Farrar said. The student reported the suspicious person to security personnel in the Simpson Library, Farrar said.

Farrar said the man didn’t make “threatening gestures.” “He didn’t threaten anyone,” he said.

Commented.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

From the campus advisory:
    A student reported seeing an individual in possession of a handgun
    From the Fredericksburg.com blog:
    A student reported a man with a gun in his right hand on the Fredericksburg campus
    There is a great deal of difference in the amount of detail between the one and the other. Give, as noted in my earlier post above, the amount of detail in the description of the person, this difference raises more questions that it puts others to rest.

The amount of danger inherent in a man "in possession of" a gun and a man "with a gun in his ... hand" begs the question of, if the latter is the correct situation, why the Kampus Kops did not order the dorms and buildings locked down to prevent this dangerous individual from gaining access to students?

I'm going to take a rest now. My mind is over-boggled.

stay safe.

Centurion
    "A man with a gun in his hand" AS HE WAS TRANSITIONING FROM INSIDE THE VEHICLE TO HIS SIDE HOLSTER!

Just a suggestion that would in no way be a "suspicious" activity.

A student reported a man with a gun in his right hand on the Fredericksburg campus
    hehe, I was just thinking, how true do we know this is? Maybe it was just holsterd? Anti gun people think because we have an ak47 or m4 or what ever you got, some evil weapon that is big and has a large 'clip' is a evil gun that shoots full auto bullets & armor piercing rounds.

I just like to know how did he have time to ID him, the clothes, backpack, height....?
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 12-06-2010 at 08:30 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    "A man with a gun in his hand" AS HE WAS TRANSITIONING FROM INSIDE THE VEHICLE TO HIS SIDE HOLSTER!

Just a suggestion that would in no way be a "suspicious" activity.
    Here in Virginia we do not need to play the transition dance. OC, without a permit, on your hip inside the car is just as legal as OC on your hip, without a permit. outside your car.

Sorry if you Beehive Staters have to live otherwise.

stay safe.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Here in Virginia we do not need to play the transition dance. OC, without a permit, on your hip inside the car is just as legal as OC on your hip, without a permit. outside your car.

Sorry if you Beehive Staters have to live otherwise.

stay safe.
    Maybe the "suspicious" one elected to have one holster secured within the vehicle in reach that was easier to get to than his hip holster and he was transitioning from the car holster to the hip holster....

With regard to the "Beehive" state gun laws...
    Nope if fact as of last year... IF you are both legal to possess and handgun and IN LEGAL POSSESSION/ or with permission of the driver of the vehicle you may with or without a permit carry openly or concealed and/or loaded or unloaded within the vehicle. Just don't step outside the vehicle with the firearm when you are within 1000' of a UTAH school zone that includes colleges, trade schools, beauty schools, massage schools, daycares, or the infamous roving school zone.... any location (1000' from the property line) in which a school brings students for a school sanctioned activity!

A Utah permit exempts use from all the madness!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 12-06-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Newspaper update. The blue box at the bottom is particularly interesting...

TFred

I decided to finish my degree online, so the last suspicious character I saw was my black cat staring at me. He prefers Glocks because they match his fur.

My sister is at ODU. Last time I checked, they lost their accreditation back in 2009. I am unsure if they ever regained it.

The University of Mary Washington prohibits students and employees from carrying guns on campus. Others can legally carry guns on the campus.
    However, UMW can ask them to leave the property, even if they have not committed a crime, said city police spokeswoman Natatia Bledsoe. "That would be entirely up to the university to do so," she said.
    we prefer our students to be unarmed! (insert face palm here)
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 12-07-2010 at 03:25 AM.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    I decided to finish my degree online, so the last suspicious character I saw was my black cat staring at me. He prefers Glocks because they match his fur.

My sister is at ODU. Last time I checked, they lost their accreditation back in 2009. I am unsure if they ever regained it.
    Old Dominion University (ODU) is regionally accredited (the gold standard of accreditation) by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.They have never lost their academic accreditation as a school.

What you are referring to is the ODU *Police Department* having lost its state accreditation. See http://hamptonroads.com/2009/07/odu-...over-paperwork. The ODU Police Department was re-accredited by the state in 2005.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    A Utah permit exempts use from all the madness!
    mmmm, I loves me some Utah permit!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Newspaper update. The blue box at the bottom is particularly interesting...

TFred
    Can they? Now I suppose if they claimed, based on observation, that one was loitering in the nighttime, or impeding the flow of (vehicular or pedestrian) traffic, they might have a case to tell someone to remove themself from public, state-owned and state-operated property. But MWU is a miniature version of UVA, and has some archetectural beatuies of its own that are especially so at night. There is nothing in the VAC, as far as I could find, similar to VCU's prohibition. There are no signs, as far as I know, posted at every public entrance to the grounds, telling us what we cannot bring with us if we wish to enter. So, with a reasonable reason to be offered should one be challenged, what grounds would they have for asking (under the color of law and supposedly enforcable by detention/arrest) one to leave?

stay safe.