• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MWAG call at UMW tonight

TFred

Not enough information to tell if this was a raving lunatic, or just an OC'er out for an evening walk.

Campus advisory web page, will no doubt change soon, but for now:

Suspicious Person on Fredericksburg Campus

A student reported seeing an individual in possession of a handgun on campus walk near Simpson Library late Sunday evening. The individual was described as a white male with a black goatee and stocky build, about 5’5” tall, and wearing a dark hoodie shirt with red lining and blue jeans. He was carrying a backpack. Students and staff are being advised to shelter in place, be alert, and practice good situational awareness. The individual is being sought by campus police for further investigation. If you see an individual matching the description, please contact campus police and do not try to engage, stop or question him.

This message was posted at 9:45 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 5, 2010

At least there are no issues with reposting content from a public university web page. :)

TFred

ocholsteroc

and staff are being advised to shelter in place, be alert, and practice good situational awareness.

In other wards, PANIC, you are defencelesss :( :banghead: boy, how I hate college.... they leave you defenceless little rat.... But hey they let us drive cars on campus, maybe we should ban those.... I was reading the other day, in Japan they had some guy in 2008 kill 5 people with a knife.... And in the UK some ax murder killed 4 people, no guns were used. :shocker: what! I thought all crime where caused by guns!

Last edited:

palerider116

The modern university is not a friend of the United States Constitution. Being able to panic and retreat is the new skill set imparted to the next generation.

The United States will continue to be at the forefront of freedom as long as the citizens treat every day with a renewed effort to promote life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. There is no guarantee of liberty once it has been achieved. It is in constant need of guarding and maintenance.

I do not fear for this country. Being an American is a blessing. While this site's primary mission is the second amendment, we all should be watchful guardians for every right. When future generations evaluate us, let it be shown that we have yielded no right and reclaimed those lost by previous generations.

JoeSparky

Centurion
The modern university is not a friend of the United States Constitution. Being able to panic and retreat is the new skill set imparted to the next generation.

The United States will continue to be at the forefront of freedom as long as the citizens treat every day with a renewed effort to promote life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. There is no guarantee of liberty once it has been achieved. It is in constant need of guarding and maintenance.

I do not fear for this country. Being an American is a blessing. While this site's primary mission is the second amendment, we all should be watchful guardians for every right. When future generations evaluate us, let it be shown that we have yielded no right and reclaimed those lost by previous generations.
Refering to the first line in the quote above:
It is JUST THE NEWEST FORM OF "DUCK AND COVER" from the 1950's!

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The individual was described as a white male with a black goatee and stocky build, about 5’5” tall, and wearing a dark hoodie shirt with red lining and blue jeans. He was carrying a backpack.

Aint it amazing how much detail the scared observer was able to provide?

And yet no description of the gun was provided by the Kampus Kops?

If the initial report included the color of the lining of the hoodie don't you wonder if there wasn't a description of the gun as well?

Makes inquiring minds want to inquire more.

stay safe.

USNA69

Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs

Suspicious Person on Fredericksburg Campus
{SNIP} Students and staff are being advised to shelter in place, be alert, and practice good situational awareness.
Whenever I see something like this, I am sorely tempted to, once again, place the link to the essay on Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs. However, by now, I am sure that nearly all of you have read it. It is a tribute to its author that the piece has become iconic in explaining certain behaviors, such as are recommended above.

Translation of Warning:
"All sheep are advised to huddle at the far end of the pen, post lookouts, and await the arrival of the wolves to kill and eat some or all of you. All sheep are reminded that it is forbidden to take any positive actions in defense of your lives. Good Luck."

mpd8488

So why are the campus police looking for him? Were there reports of him brandishing? Did he threaten anyone? I don't see any suspicious activity from these reports and as much as the police would probably like to question him, it seems like there is no suspicion that a crime occurred, merely a violation of school rules if the guy was a staff member or student.

Repeater

Brandishing?

So why are the campus police looking for him? Were there reports of him brandishing? Did he threaten anyone? I don't see any suspicious activity from these reports and as much as the police would probably like to question him, it seems like there is no suspicion that a crime occurred, merely a violation of school rules if the guy was a staff member or student.

Well, read this:

Three officers from the Fredericksburg Police Department assisted University of Mary Washington police last night in a search for a suspicious person, city police spokeswoman Natatia Bledsoe said today.

UMW police requested the help, she said. Bledsoe said city police searched the campus grounds for about 30 minutes last night.

A student reported a man with a gun in his right hand on the Fredericksburg campus around 8:30 or 9 last night, UMW spokesman George Farrar said. The student reported the suspicious person to security personnel in the Simpson Library, Farrar said.

Farrar said the man didn’t make “threatening gestures.” “He didn’t threaten anyone,” he said.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
From the campus advisory:
A student reported seeing an individual in possession of a handgun

From the Fredericksburg.com blog:
A student reported a man with a gun in his right hand on the Fredericksburg campus

There is a great deal of difference in the amount of detail between the one and the other. Give, as noted in my earlier post above, the amount of detail in the description of the person, this difference raises more questions that it puts others to rest.

The amount of danger inherent in a man "in possession of" a gun and a man "with a gun in his ... hand" begs the question of, if the latter is the correct situation, why the Kampus Kops did not order the dorms and buildings locked down to prevent this dangerous individual from gaining access to students?

I'm going to take a rest now. My mind is over-boggled.

stay safe.

ocholsteroc

A student reported a man with a gun in his right hand on the Fredericksburg campus

hehe, I was just thinking, how true do we know this is? Maybe it was just holsterd? Anti gun people think because we have an ak47 or m4 or what ever you got, some evil weapon that is big and has a large 'clip' is a evil gun that shoots full auto bullets & armor piercing rounds. :rolleyes:

I just like to know how did he have time to ID him, the clothes, backpack, height....?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"A man with a gun in his hand" AS HE WAS TRANSITIONING FROM INSIDE THE VEHICLE TO HIS SIDE HOLSTER!

Just a suggestion that would in no way be a "suspicious" activity.

Here in Virginia we do not need to play the transition dance. OC, without a permit, on your hip inside the car is just as legal as OC on your hip, without a permit. outside your car.

Sorry if you Beehive Staters have to live otherwise.

stay safe.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Here in Virginia we do not need to play the transition dance. OC, without a permit, on your hip inside the car is just as legal as OC on your hip, without a permit. outside your car.

Sorry if you Beehive Staters have to live otherwise.

stay safe.

Maybe the "suspicious" one elected to have one holster secured within the vehicle in reach that was easier to get to than his hip holster and he was transitioning from the car holster to the hip holster....

With regard to the "Beehive" state gun laws...
Nope if fact as of last year... IF you are both legal to possess and handgun and IN LEGAL POSSESSION/ or with permission of the driver of the vehicle you may with or without a permit carry openly or concealed and/or loaded or unloaded within the vehicle. Just don't step outside the vehicle with the firearm when you are within 1000' of a UTAH school zone that includes colleges, trade schools, beauty schools, massage schools, daycares, or the infamous roving school zone.... any location (1000' from the property line) in which a school brings students for a school sanctioned activity!

A Utah permit exempts use from all the madness!

Last edited:

palerider116

I decided to finish my degree online, so the last suspicious character I saw was my black cat staring at me. He prefers Glocks because they match his fur.

My sister is at ODU. Last time I checked, they lost their accreditation back in 2009. I am unsure if they ever regained it.

ocholsteroc

The University of Mary Washington prohibits students and employees from carrying guns on campus. Others can legally carry guns on the campus.
However, UMW can ask them to leave the property, even if they have not committed a crime, said city police spokeswoman Natatia Bledsoe. "That would be entirely up to the university to do so," she said.

we prefer our students to be unarmed! (insert face palm here) :mad:

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I decided to finish my degree online, so the last suspicious character I saw was my black cat staring at me. He prefers Glocks because they match his fur.

My sister is at ODU. Last time I checked, they lost their accreditation back in 2009. I am unsure if they ever regained it.

Old Dominion University (ODU) is regionally accredited (the gold standard of accreditation) by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.They have never lost their academic accreditation as a school.

What you are referring to is the ODU *Police Department* having lost its state accreditation. See http://hamptonroads.com/2009/07/odu-police-loses-va-accreditation-over-paperwork. The ODU Police Department was re-accredited by the state in 2005.