• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't ask, Don't tell

Archangel

The greedy/profit-hungry instructors aren't the main problem.

The main problem is whether there is a societal benefit to mandating some firearms training to non-LE civilians who carry a gun.

The answer is obviously, "Yes."

The same problem was considered many years ago with respect to LE who carried a gun. And training was therefore mandated. Good that was done and continues.

Same with non-LE gun carriers.

If I were voting in Wisconsin, I would not favor "no training" for gun carriers. That's not a good idea at all.

I would favor "mandated training." Say, about 10-20% of LE training.

Unfortunately, the cost does become a significant hurdle at that levefl because it would probably "infringe" on 2A. Of course, there is a solution to that, but it gets difficult . . .

It seems likely to me that a mandated training component will be included in any new carry law in WI and that it will be of such a small cost so as to NOT be considered an "infringement" on 2A.

You should not have a training requirement to exercise a RIGHT. Period.

Is training beneficial and a good idea? Of COURSE it is!

Should it be REQUIRED in order to exercise a RIGHT? Absolutely NOT.

Tweety

Banned
I know I can't afford training right now that is for sure. Not even sure if I could afford a permit to be honest with you. Although I think I did read something in here about someone giving free training if the law passes. That would be nice.

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I am opposed to mandatory training, and very much in favor of as much voluntary training as one can get. But I would like HankT to explain the type of training he believes should be required.

From what I've seen of mandatory training, i.e., the MN CC class, it is heavily weighted toward avoiding or surviving the legal system and little about surviving a potentially lethal encounter. It seems to me that the priorities may have been reversed somewhat, because the ability to win in court is a moot point if you haven't won on the battlefield.

I don't carry a gun to avoid going to court, I carry a gun to avoid going to an early grave.

NakedOne

I am opposed to mandatory training, and very much in favor of as much voluntary training as one can get. But I would like HankT to explain the type of training he believes should be required.

From what I've seen of mandatory training, i.e., the MN CC class, it is heavily weighted toward avoiding or surviving the legal system and little about surviving a potentially lethal encounter. It seems to me that the priorities may have been reversed somewhat, because the ability to win in court is a moot point if you haven't won on the battlefield.

I don't carry a gun to avoid going to court, I carry a gun to avoid going to an early grave.

You've said a mouthfull there! The training part for a Florida permit is next to nothing, heck they took my hunter safety from 1977 when New Mexico first required it and classes were offered at every available building in town. I took mine in a church and didnt have to shoot for them as I had a big game license from the year before.

While I think optional training is a great idea, not everyone wants to spend OR has the money needed.

CenTex

You should not have a training requirement to exercise a RIGHT. Period.

Is training beneficial and a good idea? Of COURSE it is!

Should it be REQUIRED in order to exercise a RIGHT? Absolutely NOT.

+1

CenTex

The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"
Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws. - Nietzsche "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"

Shotgun. I really like Nietzche's statements in your signature. I hope forum members will see that it is the anti-gunners who think they are the better people. Since that seems the case, they would not like most of the people who pioneered this country.

Last edited:

protias

I know I can't afford training right now that is for sure. Not even sure if I could afford a permit to be honest with you. Although I think I did read something in here about someone giving free training if the law passes. That would be nice.
Wisconsin Carry, Inc made that offer. :)