• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The media do not understand the guns and ammo of which they speak.

eye95

Yesterday, Fox News was reporting on some Hollywood type who was murdered. (I don't know who, nor do I care.) The police had gone to pick up a suspect (I don't know who, nor do I care), and he shot himself.

The reporter concluded that the suspect was probably not the killer, even though he claimed he was, because, for one thing, the real killer had to be a professional. She arrived at this conclusion due to the use of hollow-point ammo, ammo which she explained was designed to deform and do more damage.

I (and surely most of you) buy hollow-points for self-defense ammo, precisely because it deforms and, as a result, gives up all of its energy inside the target, increasing the probability of stopping an assailant, and because it is highly unlikely to pass through the target, striking an innocent bystander.

I am not a professional killer. As of yet, I have killed no one. I hope I never do. I certainly never will do so for pay. However, my routine load is hollow-point.

Reporter, get your facts straight.

Walt_Kowalski

That is just like how the press often uses 'automatic' to describe firearms that are clearly semi-auto.

If it makes the sheeple scared, then it will sell.. good press right?

maybe they can combine the words 'automatic hollow point AK-47 (because everything is an AK-47)'

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I think I saw something on this over the weekend, though I can't be certain it was the same event. The reporter mentioned hollow point bullets which are banned in many states. Gee, does that sound as though he has an agenda? Also Cyril Wecht, a well-known forensic pathologist, was interviewed and he described hollow points as bullets designed to enlarge themselves after entering the body and then start breaking apart. Another fallacy. He was describing frangible loads and yes it is true that some hollow point bullet designs do shed various parts, a lot don't which makes his statement an error.

The thing is, the general public picks up on this and accepts if for fact because those giving the reports are viewed as having a deeper and more scientific and intimate knowledge about which they speak.

eye95

Are there States in which HP are illegal? That would be good to know for interstate travel since, as I have mentioned, my routine load is HP.

oldbanger

Not NJ apparently

These conditions for use and transport of hollow nose ammunition are consistent with the legislative intent to restrict the use of such ammunition to a limited number of people...

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Yesterday, Fox News was reporting on some Hollywood type who was murdered. (I don't know who, nor do I care.) The police had gone to pick up a suspect (I don't know who, nor do I care), and he shot himself.

The reporter concluded that the suspect was probably not the killer, even though he claimed he was, because, for one thing, the real killer had to be a professional. She arrived at this conclusion due to the use of hollow-point ammo, ammo which she explained was designed to deform and do more damage.

I (and surely most of you) buy hollow-points for self-defense ammo, precisely because it deforms and, as a result, gives up all of its energy inside the target, increasing the probability of stopping an assailant, and because it is highly unlikely to pass through the target, striking an innocent bystander.

I am not a professional killer. As of yet, I have killed no one. I hope I never do. I certainly never will do so for pay. However, my routine load is hollow-point.

Reporter, get your facts straight.

Sadly, "reporters," "journalists" and "analysts" these days are chosen for their "Q rating" (how pretty they are), how well they can read what someone else has written on the teleprompter, and how congenial and caring they seem to their collegues and the audience. They don't really have to know ANYthing about the subject on which they are speaking.

Hmmmm..... kinda sounds like the current occupant at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue...

mahkagari

Hmmmm..... kinda sounds like the current occupant at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue...

More like most occupants of that residence and 90% of other occupants of the Capitol building.

This sounds like a report I heard that a round must have been "armor piercing" because it was able to go through the drywall separating some cheap apartments.

eye95

Who would've thought...

This thread is about the media not knowing about guns and ammo. A specific example of a story from a specific network was used to illustrate the point. If you have some tangential political agenda that is not related to OC, please do not derail this thread, but instead start your own thread in the appropriate area. May I suggest the Social Lounge? Thank you.

eye95

Not NJ apparently...[/URL]

OK, so I can't carry my ammo in NJ. That's alright; I wouldn't be able to carry there anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else know of States that bar HPs?

Never mind, that would drag this off-topic. I'll start another thread.

Jack House

I'm pretty sure it had more to do with the tight grouping of the shots among other factors that made them conclude that it was a professional hitman.

Oh the irony in this thread. :rolleyes:

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
I shoot ball ammo for target practice and carry JHP's at all other times.

This is how most media places see things.....but there are, of course exceptions.
journalist_guns_2.jpg

Gunslinger

OK, so I can't carry my ammo in NJ. That's alright; I wouldn't be able to carry there anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else know of States that bar HPs?

Never mind, that would drag this off-topic. I'll start another thread.

No states bar HP ammo. Some, like the PDR of NJ, regulate its transportation, but not possession or use for lawful purposes.

Tomas

I've routinely carried hollow points or frangible ammo for 40 years because of their effectiveness and relative safety (less "over penetration").

I don't picture myself as a "professional killer" as I have not killed or even shot at anyone during those 40 years of personal carry.

HOWEVER, using your criteria, Eye, of being paid to kill folks, maybe I am. In the four years prior to the start of that 40 year personal carry I was in the military, and for the last year of that four, I was in a war zone, being paid, and sure as Hell trying to kill the folks shooting at me. Perhaps I did. All I know is they stopped shooting. I guess I may be a professional killer.

Anyway, most news presenters do not have personal knowledge about the items they report. They take information gathered by others and arranged in suitable sized bites by yet others, and present it to us because they either look good presenting it or sound confident. They do not generally validate anything.

In reality, their knowledge generally extends only to how to look and sound knowledgeable and intelligent to the average viewer/listener. Their specialty is mouthing whatever words they are given to mouth.

(...and yes, I have worked in both radio and television news at times in my nefarious past - usually as a tech, but for a short while as a presenter.)