• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The media do not understand the guns and ammo of which they speak.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I like that guide to firearms funny yet SO TRUE. Unless said journalist is a member of the gun culture they will probable be IGNORANT of all things guns.... so then they ask the expert...a anti gun liberal gun hater for the facts. does any of this surprise anyone ?

oldbanger

...I (and surely most of you) buy hollow-points for self-defense ammo, precisely because it deforms and, as a result, gives up all of its energy inside the target, increasing the probability of stopping an assailant, and because it is highly unlikely to pass through the target, striking an innocent bystander...

Cite please ?

...ballistics expert Leading Senior Constable Raymond Vincent told the inquest into his death the five bullets that hit Tyler Cassidy passed through his 60-kilogram (132 lb) frame. The officer told the court he considers the fully jacketed, hollow-point bullets "unreliable" because they fail to transfer maximum energy into the target..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/02/3083242.htm

Tyler was hit five times - once in the right arm and knee and twice in the right thigh. The fatal wound was a gunshot wound to his chest. (which also passed through)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad-application/the-life-and-death-of-tyler-cassidy/story-fn6bfm6w-1225965443511

I'm Not An Expert, But I Stayed At A Holiday Inn Express Last Night!

VW_Factor

Cite please ?

...ballistics expert Leading Senior Constable Raymond Vincent told the inquest into his death the five bullets that hit Tyler Cassidy passed through his 60-kilogram (132 lb) frame. The officer told the court he considers the fully jacketed, hollow-point bullets "unreliable" because they fail to transfer maximum energy into the target..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/02/3083242.htm

Tyler was hit five times - once in the right arm and knee and twice in the right thigh. The fatal wound was a gunshot wound to his chest. (which also passed through)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad-application/the-life-and-death-of-tyler-cassidy/story-fn6bfm6w-1225965443511

I'm Not An Expert, But I Stayed At A Holiday Inn Express Last Night!

There is no magic bullet sir..

A HP bullet has a better chance to expand and transfer more energy to target.

Shouldn't need an expert to point that out.

eye95

I am not talking about jacketed hollow-point. I am specifically talking about hollow-point.

Hollow-points have a much lower propensity to pass through a body (although it is possible, usually doing a lot of damage on the way out) than non-hollow-points. Any bullet that does not exit a body WILL impart all of its energy on the body it becomes a part of. Period. That is simple physics.

If you ask for a cite on this (especially on a gun site), you might as well ask for a cite for a claim that Washington was our first president elected under our Constitution.

Tomas

Additionally, even when a less-than-optimal-design hollow point passes through a targeted body, it has likely shed more of it's energy while passing through than a full metal jacket "ball ammo" bullet would, increasing damage to the initial target and reducing damage to the anything beyond.

In addition, the chance of a bullet passing through a 132 pound person's torso is likely much greater than it passing through my biz partner's 320 pounds.

In shooting a lightweight, lightly clothed person, a Glaser Safety Slug would probably be ideal. In shooting a much larger, winter clothed target, one probably needs a more substantial round to get adequate penetration...

There is no perfect bullet.

Last edited:

eye95

I certainly hope that you biz partner does not find himself sporting a bullet in his innards anytime soon, as you have just made yourself a suspect! :uhoh:

Last edited:

Tomas

I certainly hope that you biz partner does not find himself sporting a bullet in his innards anytime soon, as you have just made yourself a suspect! :uhoh:

Heheheheheh... He's been in China for the past four years and plans to be there for quite a lot longer - currently he's teaching there. :)

(I can't help but have a mental picture of this 6'7", 320 pound, sandy haired, Nordic complected giant in a country of short black haired individuals. He must certainly stand out.) :eek:

MKEgal

maybe they can combine the words 'automatic hollow point AK-47 (because everything is an AK-47)'

I was thinking of the "journalist guide to firearms" photo when I read this line...
And maybe it should be an "automatic hollowpoint armor piercing Glock AK-47 assault weapon"?
What else can we throw in there that would make it even sillier? (Or more scary to the sheeple, depending on your point of view.)

Tomas

"Military style black automatic hollowpoint armor piercing Glock AK-47 assault weapon with laser sights flash suppressor and bayonet mount"...

All said in one breath with eyes wide.

How's that? :banghead:

Last edited:

eye95

Manufacturer Recalls Hollow Point Bullets That Fail To Explode Inside Targets :eek:

Steel Hawk Inc. is offering a full refund to customers who bought the non-flesh-shredding bullets.

http://www.theonion.com/video/manufacturer-recalls-hollow-point-bullets-that-fai,14319/

You do realize that that is a joke, right?

Anyway, it does demonstrate that a lot of people don't understand why responsible people should use hollow-points to ensure effective defense and reduce the probability of secondary innocent victims.

END_THE_FED

"Military style black automatic hollowpoint armor piercing Glock AK-47 assault weapon with laser sights flash suppressor and bayonet mount"...

All said in one breath with eyes wide.

How's that? :banghead:

You forgot "unregistered"

EDIT: and the "clip" that holds 50 "bullets"

Last edited:

creek456

haha, That would be pretty twisted if they were really recalling hollow points that failed to explode inside the intended victim. Yeah I was just trying to kill one person but it got the person behind him too. I'm not taking the jail sentence for the other guy. That one wasn't my fault. : )
(joking)

mahkagari

In reality, their knowledge generally extends only to how to look and sound knowledgeable and intelligent to the average viewer/listener. Their specialty is mouthing whatever words they are given to mouth.

Hey now, don't forget that graduate level special course they need to perfect their "our condolences go out to the vicitms' families, and now the weather! Gonna be a hot one in the ol' town tomorrow!" segue.

END_THE_FED

Hey now, don't forget that graduate level special course they need to perfect their "our condolences go out to the vicitms' families, and now the weather! Gonna be a hot one in the ol' town tomorrow!" segue.

The bodies of the victims were found in a hidden refrigerated compartment, and speaking of cold bodies, lets go back to Dale for more about that blizzard moving in from the north.......

Tomas

From a novel by John Varley, Steel Beach:
"Tell me, sweetheart, how did you feel when you saw the man cut your daddy's head off?"

"What?" Brenda was looking at me strangely.

"It's the essential disaster/atrocity question," I said. "They don't tell you that in Journalism 101, but all the questions we ask, no matter how delicately phrased, boil down to that. The idea is to get the first appearance of the tear, the ineffable moment when the face twists up. That's gold, honey. You'd better learn how to mine it."

"I don't think that's true."

"Then you'll never be a great reporter. Maybe you should try social work."

Yup. Uh-huh.

Last edited: