Thread: Wabbit Hunting

Wabbit Hunting

I've taken up wabbit hunting recently (or wecently) and I've never been before now. Who else here hunts the wascally wabbits? If anyone has any wabbit hunting, preparing or feasting tips or stories, I would love to hear them.

Banned
    used to

rule one dont eat anything until after the killing frost gets the wormy ones gone uggh

tried jacks and bunnies jacks cant be cooked enough bunnies are fine

Wormy ones?! No, thanks! It sounds like you had a bad experience or two cleaning rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Stiletto View Post
    Wormy ones?! No, thanks! It sounds like you had a bad experience or two cleaning rabbits.
    Oh, I dunno... is a strong possibility of death a "bad experience"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia

You can inspect certain organs for signs of the disease.

Please take a look at: Rabbit Hunting by Dave Fisher

Do you hunt with beagles?
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

My Dad would not have anything to do with wild rabbits this far South (I'm in Alabama) because he said the winters didn't get cold enough to kill off the diseased ones. From what I've learned since then, he was probably talking about both worms and tularemia.

Where you are, in Wisconsin, the rabbits should be OK after the first really hard frost, but I would check with someone who is far more knowledgeable than I am.

Campaign Veteran
    We hunt rabbits quite a bit. Truth be told, I'd rather hunt cottontails than just about anything but goats. A well roasted rabbit is IMHO the best tasting meat, game or otherwise, out there. We do also hunt and eat jackrabbits. When well prepared they are very tasty also, and work well in many dishes designed for beef.

Yes, possible death would fit in to my 'bad experience' category. Because of this, I will no longer eat Trix cereal because I have no idea where that stupid white rabbit has been. I will take my chances out in the field after the first frost, though, thanks to some good advice. Snowshoe hare by me is open all season. I wonder if they are safe.

I don't hunt with beagles or anything. Truth be told, it would probably be easiest for me to just pop one of those little guys in my yard early in the morning when I leave for work, but I'd rather reduce the wabbit pollution elsewhere.

Petrophase, how do you prepare your delicious catch?

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Stiletto View Post
    Yes, possible death would fit in to my 'bad experience' category. Because of this, I will no longer eat Trix cereal because I have no idea where that stupid white rabbit has been. I will take my chances out in the field after the first frost, though, thanks to some good advice. Snowshoe hare by me is open all season. I wonder if they are safe.

I don't hunt with beagles or anything. Truth be told, it would probably be easiest for me to just pop one of those little guys in my yard early in the morning when I leave for work, but I'd rather reduce the wabbit pollution elsewhere.

Petrophase, how do you prepare your delicious catch?
    Roasted in a dutch oven with potatoes and onions.

Quote Originally Posted by petrophase View Post
    Roasted in a dutch oven with potatoes and onions.
    I have been dying to try this out. I also need to train my dog so I can go hunting(instead of using the local meat butcher)
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

Campaign Veteran
    I've never hunted rabbits with dogs. Usually we just push brush and windrows and either flush them or try to pick them out where they're sitting.

Never needed them in OK either. Flushing em out of blackberry bushes was generally guaranteed. But I own a basset and would love to take him out sometimes. They are supposedly pretty good at circling the rabbit back around to you(when properly trained).
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

Campaign Veteran
    Should be fun. We just got a Springer this year and it's been a lot of fun taking her out for pheasants and grouse. The problem is that she hunts at a higher level than her owners!

Shoot em, skin em, clean them, cut em up, soak the pieces overnight in the refrigerator in salt water, shake and bake just like you would pork chops or chicken. Don't get no better or no easier than that.

Don't forget the mashed taters , biscuits, and flour gravy to go with that fried wabbit.

Man now im hungry!!!

Good info so far! I'm getting a little hungry myself. Time to bag some wabbits!