• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laws Against HP Ammo

eye95

In another thread, the possibility that HP ammo is outlawed in some States raised some concern. I might travel to a State, unconcerned about simple carry of my firearm, thinking that either reciprocity or unlicensed Open Carry would keep me from breaking the law.

However, if having the firearm loaded with HPs would cause me to break the law upon traveling to that State, I'd kinda want to know.

So, which States would outlaw my HP ammo?

Alabama does not.
NJ's law is complicated, but effectively outlaws HP ammo.

There are 48 other States. Can you help inform us about them?

irish52084

Washington state allows hollow point ammo. I can't understand why a sate would outlaw their use. They reduce the chance of over penetration and the possibility of striking an unintended target.

eye95

Washington state allows hollow point ammo. I can't understand why a sate would outlaw their use. They reduce the chance of over penetration and the possibility of striking an unintended target.

Exactly.

The list so far:

AL: Legal.
NJ: Regulated to effective illegality.
WA: Legal.

Coded-Dude

I know it is wikipedia, and NOT the law, but their site on HP ammo only lists NJ as a state in which it is illegal. (i'm still researching this)

Also found this:

The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III, prohibits the use in warfare of bullets that easily expand or flatten in the body.[3] This is often incorrectly believed to be prohibited in the Geneva Conventions, but it significantly predates those conventions, and is in fact a continuance of the St. Petersburg Declaration of 1868, which banned exploding projectiles of less than 400 grams, as well as weapons designed to aggravate injured soldiers or make their death inevitable. NATO members do not use small arms ammunition that is prohibited by the Hague Convention.

NATO says NO to HP ammo.

Johnny W

CT legal

Legal both to possess and carry in CT. Carry of any handgun in CT requires a permit, however.

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
Good question.....legal in Colorado with no restrictions.
I have never been to NJ, and have no plans to. If someone from my company needs to go to NJ, I'll send someone from my staff instead.

streetdoc

I know it is wikipedia, and NOT the law, but their site on HP ammo only lists NJ as a state in which it is illegal. (i'm still researching this)

Also found this:
The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III, prohibits the use in warfare of bullets that easily expand or flatten in the body.[3] This is often incorrectly believed to be prohibited in the Geneva Conventions, but it significantly predates those conventions, and is in fact a continuance of the St. Petersburg Declaration of 1868, which banned exploding projectiles of less than 400 grams, as well as weapons designed to aggravate injured soldiers or make their death inevitable. NATO members do not use small arms ammunition that is prohibited by the Hague Convention.

NATO says NO to HP ammo.

This cracks me up, I don't know what the Marines are carrying now but when I went over to the First Gulf War I was issued HydraShok for my Beretta.

eye95

The list as I can see it so far:

AZ: Legal.
CO: Legal.
CT: Utah.
IL: Legal.
NC: Legal
MO: Legal.
SC: Legal.
UT: Legal.
VA: Legal.

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
In NJ HP's are allowed in the home, but prohibited elsewhere.

here is the NJ statute from the NJSP web site:
Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home.
N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:
(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].
Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).​

Last edited:

eye95

In NJ HP's are allowed in the home, but prohibited elsewhere.

here is the NJ statute from the NJSP web site:

The problem remains that, if I am traveling interstate, relying the the federal protection and transporting my firearm accordingly, through the State of NJ, I will still be violating the law regarding ammo, as I am not in my home and not hunting.

NJ remains in the "regulated to the point of effective illegality" category.

eye95

The list as I see it so far:

AZ: Legal.
CO: Legal.
CT: Legal.
FL: Legal.
ID: Legal.
IL: Legal.
KS: Legal.
NC: Legal
NM: Legal.
MO: Legal.
SC: Legal.
TX: Legal.
UT: Legal.
VA: Legal.

33 States and DC haven't had answers posted yet. It looks like NJ is an anomaly.

Last edited: