• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laws Against HP Ammo

swinokur

Activist Member
The problem remains that, if I am traveling interstate, relying the the federal protection and transporting my firearm accordingly, through the State of NJ, I will still be violating the law regarding ammo, as I am not in my home and not hunting.

NJ remains in the "regulated to the point of effective illegality" category.

OK I see where you are coming from.

MD is legal

Last edited:

Jack House

This cracks me up, I don't know what the Marines are carrying now but when I went over to the First Gulf War I was issued HydraShok for my Beretta.
The Hague convention doesn't truly prohibit the HP rounds, it only prohibits their use against any nation that signed the treaty and didn't use the prohibited munitions first. There are other scenarios as well that'll render the Hague treaty null and void.

eye95

I am the only one you are asking that question of. You can't cite laws that permit things because our legal system is based upon the premise that that which is not prohibited is legal. New Jersey is the only state that has a statute that prohibits the possession of hollow point ammunition (with exceptions for in the home, to/from target practice hunting, to/from place of purchase). I can't provide you citations for the rest of the states because there are none.

Everyone else seems to be giving information on State about which they have personal knowledge. (Most likely they routinely carry HP routinely, so I have confidence in what they say.) They are talking about a few States each.

You, on the other hand, are claiming knowledge about all fifty States. So, either you have had experience carrying in all those States, or some specific knowledge about HP ammo laws (say from another site). Alternatively, you may know some cites to back up your sweeping claim.

In any case, I am not willing to accept such a sweeping claim without support. Moving on.

Folks, please continue to post what personal experience tells you about State laws on HP ammo. Thanks.

eye95

The list as I see it so far:

AL: Legal.
AZ: Legal.
CA: Legal.
CO: Legal.
CT: Legal.
FL: Legal.
KY: Legal.
ID: Legal.
IL: Legal.
KS: Legal.
MD: Legal.
NC: Legal
NJ: Regulated to effective illegality.
NM: Legal.
MO: Legal.
SC: Legal.
TX: Legal.
UT: Legal.
VA: Legal.
WA: Legal.

30 States and DC haven't had answers posted yet. It looks like NJ is an anomaly.

Coded-Dude

last time i was in OK, HP ammo was legal. i just double checked a local dealer and they sell it. not sure if there are restrictions, but I doubt it.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
SD: HPs are legal for carry.

NavyLT has a valid point that is along the same lines as my understanding of the legality of OC in South Dakota. There is no law in SD that prohibits OC; there are laws regulating firearms possession in general (e.g. felon status, courthouses, etc) and CC, but no mention of OC. Since OC is not prohibited by law, it is lawful, but there is no statute to cite.

NJ is an aberration, in more ways than one :)

Last edited:

2a4all

Here's the citation you requested:
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5/atf-p-5300-5.pdf

"hollow" appears 5 times in the entire book. The only prohibition on possession of hollow point ammunition is in New Jersey. But I am sure you will come up with some reason not to accept that.

I've been participating in the gun forums since 2005 and I have never heard of any state enacting hollow point restrictions in the last 5 years.

Here's another source. Check out
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Traveler's Gun and Knife Law Book[/FONT]

avaliable at http://www.gunlaws.com/TravelersGunAndKnifeLawBook.htm

The author specifically mentions NJ's restriction on HP ammo.​

eye95

Here's the citation you requested:
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5/atf-p-5300-5.pdf

"hollow" appears 5 times in the entire book. The only prohibition on possession of hollow point ammunition is in New Jersey. But I am sure you will come up with some reason not to accept that.

I've been participating in the gun forums since 2005 and I have never heard of any state enacting hollow point restrictions in the last 5 years.

You have no reason to behave like an ass such as you did in the bolded part. I used to respect you tremendously, and have said so many times to other posters. However, your behavior of late has been off-putting. I hope this is a temporary situation and that you will soon return to your normally civil self who doesn't make snarky personal remarks when such snark has not been personally directed at you.

That being said, a five-hundred-page, two- or three-year-old book being essentially tossed in front of me that has been searched solely for the word hollow, with references only being found in NJ still would not hold the weight that personal experience saying the HP is or is not legal in the State where I carry.

The document does not tell me what has happened in the last two years, and searching for "hollow" does not guarantee that there are no other bans that use different terminology. Hollow point is sometimes called hollow nose and heaven knows what else, frangible maybe?

I appreciate your effort. I don't appreciate your personal comment. However, I will continue to ask others for their personal experience. I hope you respect that as it is my ass I am seeking to protect.

Folks, I appreciate your continued input about your personal experiences.

eye95

The list as I see it so far:

NC: Legal.
NH: Legal.
VT: Legal.

28 States and DC haven't had answers posted yet. It looks like NJ is an anomaly.

Thanks folks for your input based on your personal experience.

2a4all

You have no reason to behave like an ass such as you did in the bolded part. I used to respect you tremendously, and have said so many times to other posters. However, your behavior of late has been off-putting. I hope this is a temporary situation and that you will soon return to your normally civil self who doesn't make snarky personal remarks when such snark has not been personally directed at you.

That being said, a five-hundred-page, two- or three-year-old book being essentially tossed in front of me that has been searched solely for the word hollow, with references only being found in NJ still would not hold the weight that personal experience saying the HP is or is not legal in the State where I carry.

The document does not tell me what has happened in the last two years, and searching for "hollow" does not guarantee that there are no other bans that use different terminology. Hollow point is sometimes called hollow nose and heaven knows what else, frangible maybe?

I appreciate your effort. I don't appreciate your personal comment. However, I will continue to ask others for their personal experience. I hope you respect that as it is my ass I am seeking to protect.

Folks, I appreciate your continued input about your personal experiences.

I too often solicit the personal experiences of others to help me ascertain the risks of engaging in certain endeavors. I also find that these experiences are sometimes very limited, and even contrary to law (the individual didn't know, they've always done it that way, it was a long time ago, etc.). So I also check the statutes whenever possible, and explore published sources.

You complained about the length and age of NavyLT's reference, but haven't requested that those submitting their experiences share only recent ones. I have read (and relied on) the publication I referenced, and it's newly published, by an author with good credentials.

A search of the term "hollow" would yield hollowpoint as well as hollownose.

You are correct in stating that it's your ass on the line, so I would hope that you'd want as much information as possible.

eye95

Feel free to chime in where you have regularly carried HP ammo. That's kinda what I am looking for from everyone. Not snark. Anyway, I think I'll just hit the switch for about a week.

Tomas

Two things...

No, three...

1) "It looks like NJ is an anomaly." NJ is ALWAYS an anomaly. No matter what the discussion, NJ is always an anomaly. I lived in NJ. Things there were different than any other place on this planet that I have visited.

2) What Eye appears to be looking for is personal information from people familiar with each state's laws that those states do not have laws that ban hollow point, or expanding, or whatever other term they choose to use. (Not looking for laws that allow them...)

3) Searching for "hollow" will not find "frangible" or "expanding" or whatever. Laws might be written in any number of ways that do not specifically reference "hollow" point bullets. The treaty referred to earlier does not mention hollow points, but bans "expanding" bullets, which would cover even those designs that do not have hollow points...

The laws might even be written to specifically state what is lawful to use rather than taking a chance on missing something they don't like by not using just the right term when trying to ban something.

For example, ban only "hollow points" and that allows those bullets that have a nylon ball in their nose, keeping it from being "hollow." (It also misses the Glaser's Safety Slug frangible bullets, and all the other stuff that isn't quite a "hollow point" round.)

OK, back to the collection of data!

28 States and DC haven't had answers posted yet. It looks like NJ is an anomaly.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
There is no law in West Virginia regulating or prohibiting any type of ammunition. As other posters have stated, New Jersey is the only state that restricts the type of ammunition that may be carried in a handgun for self-defense.

eye95

Thank you Tomas.

Adding WV:

WV: Legal.

27 States and DC haven't had answers posted yet. It looks like NJ is an anomaly.