• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any meets

UR115

Hey guys im new to this site and new to forums so i dont really know how to navigate arounf them but i was wondering if anyone has meets around where i live? I figure there has to be some of you guys in san jose. If there are any meets coming up in central california let me know please. Also is there a meets section on this forum? Thanks guys

-Taylor

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
There's no meets section. There are a few bay area groups that tend to organize things. For some reason after this forum garnered enough attention to open carry we had crazy fragmenting amongst Californians. I still have no idea why this occurred.

The Responsible Citizens of California usually has something going on weekly. Their website is here: http://www.responsiblecitizensofcalifornia.org/

There's also Bay Area Open Carry, website here: http://www.baoc.us/ I think their facebook page is fairly active, although don't hold me to that.

The people on this forum who haven't bothered to join the other groups are often invited or informed about meet ups before they happen. Sometimes that's done privately, sometimes that is done publicly.

None of these groups force people to open carry in order to show up to an event. If you're new, it'd probably be a lot less stressful to just go to one and talk to people and see what holsters people have and what recorders people are using and the like. It's also a good idea to just check us out to make sure we're not all psychopaths, although everybody I've met thus far has been really cool.

UR115

There's no meets section. There are a few bay area groups that tend to organize things. For some reason after this forum garnered enough attention to open carry we had crazy fragmenting amongst Californians. I still have no idea why this occurred.

The Responsible Citizens of California usually has something going on weekly. Their website is here: http://www.responsiblecitizensofcalifornia.org/

There's also Bay Area Open Carry, website here: http://www.baoc.us/ I think their facebook page is fairly active, although don't hold me to that.

The people on this forum who haven't bothered to join the other groups are often invited or informed about meet ups before they happen. Sometimes that's done privately, sometimes that is done publicly.

None of these groups force people to open carry in order to show up to an event. If you're new, it'd probably be a lot less stressful to just go to one and talk to people and see what holsters people have and what recorders people are using and the like. It's also a good idea to just check us out to make sure we're not all psychopaths, although everybody I've met thus far has been really cool.

Ha ha ok thanks. I have already open carried a few times. I have a nice blackhawk holster and a nice double mag holster. I have a digital audio recorder but i was wondering where you guys get this flyers and pamphlets that everyone seems to carry? i have the penal code book so if any uneducated cop stops me at least i have that but id like ti print out all those agency oc bulletins and the penal codes related to open carry

OC KIMBER

Ha ha ok thanks. I have already open carried a few times. I have a nice blackhawk holster and a nice double mag holster. I have a digital audio recorder but i was wondering where you guys get this flyers and pamphlets that everyone seems to carry? i have the penal code book so if any uneducated cop stops me at least i have that but id like ti print out all those agency oc bulletins and the penal codes related to open carry

You can get the flyer at http://californiaopencarry.org/

UR115

I read most of those bullits from the agencys telling their officers/deputies about open carry and most of them seem to think that we are trying to get wrongfully arrested to sue for money? I hope that isnt true. Maybe you guys are psychopaths lol jk I read all the pamphlets and flyer. I can see the real reason just from those alone. If only law enforcement would read them lol :)

bigtoe416

I read most of those bullits from the agencys telling their officers/deputies about open carry and most of them seem to think that we are trying to get wrongfully arrested to sue for money?

The only person that has sued for money (elsensei) settled out of court for 35k. He also informed the police various times in various manners how they were wrong and were violating the law. He probably saved them some money by convincing them they couldn't arrest him for anything.

I think outside of that there have been very few lawsuits related to open carry. Two criminal ones that I know of, one was dismissed, one was incorrectly found guilty. It's easy to claim that we're after their money when we regularly have our rights violated.

UR115

The only person that has sued for money (elsensei) settled out of court for 35k. He also informed the police various times in various manners how they were wrong and were violating the law. He probably saved them some money by convincing them they couldn't arrest him for anything.

I think outside of that there have been very few lawsuits related to open carry. Two criminal ones that I know of, one was dismissed, one was incorrectly found guilty. It's easy to claim that we're after their money when we regularly have our rights violated.

Its funny to me how many LEOs dont know the law. I understand the california penal code is a huge book not even including vehicle code and all the other ones but you need to know the law before you arrest someone on it lol.

ryanburbridge

Welcome to the forum. You said you have OCed already. Is this new to you? When did you start? How did you find out about UOC in CA? I only ask because it would be nice to see how people new to OC are finding out. There are only a small few that can say they were UOCing befor this site and the large push back in 2008. I am new also. I found this and other CA UOC sites online and jumped in. I think it's great to see more new faces.

Carry on!

UR115

Welcome to the forum. You said you have OCed already. Is this new to you? When did you start? How did you find out about UOC in CA? I only ask because it would be nice to see how people new to OC are finding out. There are only a small few that can say they were UOCing befor this site and the large push back in 2008. I am new also. I found this and other CA UOC sites online and jumped in. I think it's great to see more new faces.

Carry on!

Well yesterday was my first time OCing so i did OC after seeing your website and doing a whole bunch of research. Like some of the members said its always better to do your own research and not listen to someone on a forum when it comes to something as serious as being arrested. I looked up all the laws in the penal code book and all of this sites great resources. I was probably looking at it from 6p.m.-1a.m saturday night :) i just kinda ran into it on youtube then started looking at stuff. I had heard of it before but thought it went by county or city code but someone said they cant do that and one of the police bulletins on this site brought up one of the amendments that says city and counties cant do that. I'm not going to lie its still kinda scary especially in this little town where the cops dont know the laws. I have just heard of people being arrested for disorderly conduct which i think is kinda a weird law in the fact that if the cop is trying to argue with you and he is starting a scene then it looks like disorderly conduct because youre arguing with a cop but if he would just respect your rights and not break the law then there wouldn't be any disorderly conduct. idk just my $0.02. I would like to meet up with some guys from here. I would think my first (e) check would be easier with a group. But when it comes down to it i know im not breaking the law so there is nothing to be afraid of. Im willing to take that risk or i wouldnt OC.

ryanburbridge

Well yesterday was my first time OCing so i did OC after seeing your website and doing a whole bunch of research. Like some of the members said its always better to do your own research and not listen to someone on a forum when it comes to something as serious as being arrested. I looked up all the laws in the penal code book and all of this sites great resources. I was probably looking at it from 6p.m.-1a.m saturday night :) i just kinda ran into it on youtube then started looking at stuff. I had heard of it before but thought it went by county or city code but someone said they cant do that and one of the police bulletins on this site brought up one of the amendments that says city and counties cant do that. I'm not going to lie its still kinda scary especially in this little town where the cops dont know the laws. I have just heard of people being arrested for disorderly conduct which i think is kinda a weird law in the fact that if the cop is trying to argue with you and he is starting a scene then it looks like disorderly conduct because youre arguing with a cop but if he would just respect your rights and not break the law then there wouldn't be any disorderly conduct. idk just my $0.02. I would like to meet up with some guys from here. I would think my first (e) check would be easier with a group. But when it comes down to it i know im not breaking the law so there is nothing to be afraid of. Im willing to take that risk or i wouldnt OC.

Nice to hear. It is not fun to be e checked at all. Some may feel like an e check is a right of passage of some sort but I can assure you MOST if not ALL would never want to be e checked. When it comes to LEO interaction know in advance how far you will take things. And please DONT talk. Good Luck Keep us posted.

UR115

Nice to hear. It is not fun to be e checked at all. Some may feel like an e check is a right of passage of some sort but I can assure you MOST if not ALL would never want to be e checked. When it comes to LEO interaction know in advance how far you will take things. And please DONT talk. Good Luck Keep us posted.

Why is everyone so against giving I.D.? If they legally bought a pistol then they dont have anything to hide when it comes to an I.D. check so whats the big deal? If it makes the cop feel better things will go smoother and quicker. I understand you dont have to but it seems like it would make an (e) check so much easier especially to a cop that doesnt know the law. As far as not talking how are we suppose to educated them on the law and how we are legal if we dont talk? just give them the pamphlet or flyer?

Iopencarry

Welcome to the world of OC'ing.
Your off to a good start with great advice from everyone so far.

While Contra Costa is a little far for you to drive for a meet-up, you are welcome to come to anything we put on.
RCC is also very active, and they are all over the bay area. Facebook is the place to find out about events/meet ups.

We try to also post here, but sometimes we do forget until its to late.

As far as LEO's go, just remember to be professional and polite. You do not need to "kiss their ass" but be firm and polite. Know ahead of time what you will say and how much,(hopefully nothing).
Learn how to map the school zones.( I personally use the opposite sidewalk from the school lot. so it adds the distance of the street to the 1000') just a buffer zone. Better safe then sorry.

There is also a new group in Manteca and one of their group is from Solida area, if that is closer for you.

Feel free to contact me at the links below. Email or Facebook

Dale
CCOC

UR115

Welcome to the world of OC'ing.
Your off to a good start with great advice from everyone so far.

While Contra Costa is a little far for you to drive for a meet-up, you are welcome to come to anything we put on.
RCC is also very active, and they are all over the bay area. Facebook is the place to find out about events/meet ups.

We try to also post here, but sometimes we do forget until its to late.

As far as LEO's go, just remember to be professional and polite. You do not need to "kiss their ass" but be firm and polite. Know ahead of time what you will say and how much,(hopefully nothing).
Learn how to map the school zones.( I personally use the opposite sidewalk from the school lot. so it adds the distance of the street to the 1000') just a buffer zone. Better safe then sorry.

There is also a new group in Manteca and one of their group is from Solida area, if that is closer for you.

Feel free to contact me at the links below. Email or Facebook

Dale
CCOC

Ya pretty far but my old friend is from there so if i stop by ill see if i can meet up. I would assume that knowing what youre going to say would be like a fight. You may know in your mind what youre going to do and how it will go but that doesnt mean it will go that way lol I added two groups on facebook so ill keep a look out for meets. Thanks for the help. I belong to a mustang forum and they are no where as nice and informative as the people on this forum. :)

bigtoe416

Why is everyone so against giving I.D.? If they legally bought a pistol then they dont have anything to hide when it comes to an I.D. check so whats the big deal? If it makes the cop feel better things will go smoother and quicker. I understand you dont have to but it seems like it would make an (e) check so much easier especially to a cop that doesnt know the law. As far as not talking how are we suppose to educated them on the law and how we are legal if we dont talk? just give them the pamphlet or flyer?

You need to watch this video.

Now that you aren't talking to police, you also shouldn't carry ID when OCing. Why? A member of this board was at a laundromat one day while open carrying. He was on private property. The cops showed up and wanted to see some ID. He refused. They detained him and illegally took his wallet out of his pocket and wrote up a report with his identifying information. Since he was doing nothing wrong, they left without incident. Some time passed. Then one day he received a court summons in the mail. Apparently this laundromat was within 1000' of a school. Not a problem, he was on private property plus the law allows for people not knowing about schools. Did he win his criminal trial? No. He ended up having a huge legal bill and while he didn't go to prison, he came out much worse off than he would have if he didn't carry an ID.

I've never had ID on me while carrying. I never plan on having ID on me while carrying until the laws of this state are drastically different. Hell, when I was at SFO a couple of weeks ago to protest the TSA I didn't bring an ID with me and I wasn't even open carrying. I knew there was a chance of police confronting me about my lawful activity, and knew I was better off carrying some cash and no wallet.

So don't carry ID.

ryanburbridge

I understand where you are coming from. It is natural for those who are raised believing that LEO are all good and only out there to help us to want to talk. I teach my daughter this now. BUT LEO are just that LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER! Leo are not your freinds when on duty. They are enforcing LAWS! Some unjust and unconstitutional. When you are stopped from doing whatever you were doing you are being DETAINED. You are being detained so that the LEO can gather enough evidence AGAINST you to ARREST you. That is their job if they are half way competent. Your job is to KNOW your rights and try to make a stand for them. I say try because it is very hard. ( I have not seen one vid of Someone staying silent mine included ) Not talking is not to be rude it is for your protection.

That said I will engage LEO in conversation (and have recording of just that) on MY terms. For example. I was at an OC event and was walking by two LEOs when I stopped to ask their opinion of UOC. They were not detaining me I was free to go at any time. They were very positive and said they thought it was great. They already had info from another UOCer. We parted ways and I did not look back. Off duty or not being detained I'll engage in conversation. It's only human.

Stick around it's fun on here. Lots of different opinions.

puppy8agun

Meets Calender

I did develop a calender of open carry events that both Northern CA and some of So Cal uses http://30boxes.com/widget/8212405/RCCMembers/7f95273d29c1b6ee7853c50160f4dd9d/0/

There are about 15 people who have access to add events. Since I schedule most events and all of them that are RCC I needed some way for me to keep track of events. If it becomes an issue I will shut it down but so far it has been a good thing.

This Saturday we are meeting in Sacramento at Extreme Pizza 12-2. I will schedule San Ramon for Jan 8th. Anybody can schedule events, I give access to anybody who schedules. I try to also keep track of other gun related events such as meetings.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=176199545724748

I could explain the division but it would fill the entire page and probably clog the site. I am admin to several of the groups including Sacramento, Nor Cal, Contra Costa, Stockton open carry groups. I am also part of RCC board. I have been scheduling right now until legislative session starts, if I have time and as I have time I will continue to schedule. There are also regular meets that happen in a bunch of areas.

Responsible Citizens of CA
http://www.responsiblecitizensofcalifornia.org/
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=128039667210283
Nor Cal Open Carry
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nor-Cal-Open-Carry/370861594139
http://www.norcaloc.com/
Bay Area Open Carry has started a new group
http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Open-Carry-Movement/153770917992416

There are numerous other open carry groups and sub-groups around. Open Carry is not a small group it is large which is the primary reason for the division. The smaller groups are started by people who want to schedule for specific areas. Some of the larger groups start to develop too many people at events. Sometimes 30 plus people show up which can be overwhelming. When the media gets it like this past event at Nations more than 50 people come. Nations attracted 75 people and 12 protesters to my disappointment, on the flip side Nations supported open carry and there was a very successful blood drive and toy drive that was great benefit to the community. The same day Bay Area OC has a clean up effort in SF which also went very well.

Regular meets are known and word of mouth mostly. Feel free to contact me with any questions about RCC, Nor Cal, Sacramento, Stockton or Contra Costa open carry groups. For So Cal the best contact is Sam Wolanyk and Harley Green.

UR115

I did develop a calender of open carry events that both Northern CA and some of So Cal uses http://30boxes.com/widget/8212405/RCCMembers/7f95273d29c1b6ee7853c50160f4dd9d/0/

There are about 15 people who have access to add events. Since I schedule most events and all of them that are RCC I needed some way for me to keep track of events. If it becomes an issue I will shut it down but so far it has been a good thing.

This Saturday we are meeting in Sacramento at Extreme Pizza 12-2. I will schedule San Ramon for Jan 8th. Anybody can schedule events, I give access to anybody who schedules. I try to also keep track of other gun related events such as meetings.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=176199545724748

I could explain the division but it would fill the entire page and probably clog the site. I am admin to several of the groups including Sacramento, Nor Cal, Contra Costa, Stockton open carry groups. I am also part of RCC board. I have been scheduling right now until legislative session starts, if I have time and as I have time I will continue to schedule. There are also regular meets that happen in a bunch of areas.

Responsible Citizens of CA
http://www.responsiblecitizensofcalifornia.org/
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=128039667210283
Nor Cal Open Carry
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nor-Cal-Open-Carry/370861594139
http://www.norcaloc.com/
Bay Area Open Carry has started a new group
http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Open-Carry-Movement/153770917992416

There are numerous other open carry groups and sub-groups around. Open Carry is not a small group it is large which is the primary reason for the division. The smaller groups are started by people who want to schedule for specific areas. Some of the larger groups start to develop too many people at events. Sometimes 30 plus people show up which can be overwhelming. When the media gets it like this past event at Nations more than 50 people come. Nations attracted 75 people and 12 protesters to my disappointment, on the flip side Nations supported open carry and there was a very successful blood drive and toy drive that was great benefit to the community. The same day Bay Area OC has a clean up effort in SF which also went very well.

Regular meets are known and word of mouth mostly. Feel free to contact me with any questions about RCC, Nor Cal, Sacramento, Stockton or Contra Costa open carry groups. For So Cal the best contact is Sam Wolanyk and Harley Green.

Thanks for all that info. I watched that video a few days ago. Good one but long. It makes sense now why you shouldnt carry I.D. Unfortunately i live in a small town with under 60 LEO including both P.D. and S.O and i know most of them. I was talking to an off duty deputy of mine which is a good friend and he was telling me why UOC is a bad idea and at the end he said plus cops hate it. I said well people hate when cops give them tickets but that doesn't stop them and he had nothing to say lol I just thought that was funny