Thread: Best .357 Sig pistol

Question Best .357 Sig pistol

Which pistol chambered in .357 sig do you think is the best overall?

I like the SIG P-229

The P-229 is a great gun. IMHO, not too big, relatively easy to carry, holds 12+1 rounds, comfortable to shoot.

Banned
    I don't the answer to the question, but I have a glock 32 with a 9mm barrel. That may very well be the best .357 sig pistol because converting it to 9mm or .40 s&w only costs $120 or so each (magazine and barrel-threaded is a little more expensive).

so then if you convert your Glock 32 to 9mm you can use all the 9mm magazines that glock makes?

Quote Originally Posted by markand View Post
    The P-229 is a great gun. IMHO, not too big, relatively easy to carry, holds 12+1 rounds, comfortable to shoot.
    Beat me to it!

Go all metal with the .357 Sig round. You'll find that the polymer pistols just aren't as nice in the hand with that specific round. The return to target is also increased with the all metal gun.

I've shot that round in the Glock and the Sig. Though I'm a Glock guy, I preferred how the Sig shot that specific round over the Glock. It didn't help that the mag catch lips kept rolling which caused the Glock mags to kick out under recoil. (that's not typical of Glocks either, it was just bad mags)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeV View Post
    so then if you convert your Glock 32 to 9mm you can use all the 9mm magazines that glock makes?
    I don't think the glock 26 mags will work as they are too short to fit into the grip. The mag in the glock 32 in the pic is a glock 19 magazine, but the mag for a glock 17 and the 30+ round mags fit too.

Only the mags that fit that specific frame size.

Remember, those conversion kits ARE NOT meant to be used for anything but target practice.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by REALteach4u View Post
    Beat me to it!

Go all metal with the .357 Sig round. You'll find that the polymer pistols just aren't as nice in the hand with that specific round. The return to target is also increased with the all metal gun.

I've shot that round in the Glock and the Sig. Though I'm a Glock guy, I preferred how the Sig shot that specific round over the Glock. It didn't help that the mag catch lips kept rolling which caused the Glock mags to kick out under recoil. (that's not typical of Glocks either, it was just bad mags)
    Own it....love it. If you got the $$$, .... GET IT!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sig229.jpg 
Views:	2179 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	4721  
    Last edited by MarlboroLts5150; 12-06-2010 at 08:13 PM.
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

-Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

I got mine used

Quote Originally Posted by MarlboroLts5150 View Post
    Own it....love it. If you got the $$$, .... GET IT!!!!
    They ain't cheap, that's for sure. I shopped around and found a great deal on a used one about 5 years ago. I got it in .40 S&W, then got a .357 SIG barrel, then Crimson Trace Laser Grips, finally a 9 mm barrel from BarSto. I can shoot any of the 3 calibers with only a barrel change. A well cared for used gun is a great bargain and may allow you to acquire a nicer gun than you might otherwise be able to afford.

They ain't cheap, that's for sure. I shopped around and found a great deal on a used one about 5 years ago. I got it in .40 S&W, then got a .357 SIG barrel, then Crimson Trace Laser Grips, finally a 9 mm barrel from BarSto. I can shoot any of the 3 calibers with only a barrel change. A well cared for used gun is a great bargain and may allow you to acquire a nicer gun than you might otherwise be able to afford.
    True. I decided to go with new, bought enough used. Got the Iridium Night Sites, SRT (short-return trigger) and add the CT laser grips as well. I absolutely love my Sig-Sauer.

When I make my trip to Georgia from California, as soon as I cross the AZ State Line, I'm hitting the nearest dealer for my 12-round mags. "thumbs-up"
    Last edited by MarlboroLts5150; 12-07-2010 at 01:40 AM. Reason: forgot to add how much I love my Sig-Sauer.
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

-Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

I love my Glock 33. Like Kwik pointed out about the 32, you can do the same with a 33 and change parts out between it and the 26 and 27.
    A member of the Virginia Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare.

"Nothing like a good piece of hickory." - Preacher

I own a glock 32 and I like it very much. However, I sold my xd to buy it and I now wish I would have bought another xd in 357SIg. I like the feel of the xd's better than the glocks as well as the trigger. that said, I really do like the 32 and doubt I'll sell it anytime soon.

If I have to pick one pistol for the 357Sig I'd pick the 4" xd. I'd say that my top pistols for 357sig would be the sig 229, xd, glock and then everything else.

Another vote for the P229. I've always wanted a P229 SAS in .357 to carry!

I have to disagree that the plastic guns aren't easy to handle with the .357sig round. I HAD a Glock 31, but my MOM kidnapped it from me. Been trying to find her a decent carry weapon for years. She won't give it back...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..." ...and he decided to GTFO of the failed nation before the cowards let The Hangman have him! Excuses for inaction are no badge of honor.

The Forest is dead because the Trees are Dead.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

gunthreadadapters.com

Agreed. My poly-framed .45 is turning out to be the smoothest,easiest-handling .45 Ive ever fired. And Ive always been a die-hard 1911 guy. I shoot far better with this than I did with any 1911 before.

xd tactical

I was at the store the other day. I felt the grip of an FNX in my hand for the first time and I was extremely impressed. I don't believe they come in .357 though :-(

Which pistol chambered in .357 sig do you think is the best overall?

You posted the original question over 14months ago and you still haven't made a up your mind????/

STI 5.0/6.0 Edge or G35/G24 w/.357sig barrel.

IMHO, anything less than a 5- 6" barrel and you've got nothing more than a 9mm+P, so why spend the extra money on the ammo.
    Last edited by Marco; 02-29-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    "The Second Amendment similarly appears to contain an express limitation on the government's authority. If the Second Amendment is read to confer a personal right to 'keep and bear arms,' a colorable argument exists that the Federal Government's regulatory scheme, at least as it pertains to possession of firearms, runs afoul of that amendment's protections" (U.S. v. Printz, 1997) ~Clarence Thomas (SPJ)

I really like the SIG P229. It's not the best combination of features: height, width, weight, trigger, and capacity. What it does excel at is managing the recoil of the 357 SIG cartridge. SIG has addressed the trigger issues with their SRT system. It can also be tuned by a gunsmith. They also have the E2 grips which slim the grip a bit.

I think the Glock 32 has too much recoil. It's not pleasant to shoot more than 50 rounds in a session. Training with it would be very difficult; I doubt I could complete two full days of training. The recoil also increases my shot recovery time.
    Last edited by tomrkba; 04-12-2012 at 05:12 PM.