• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best .357 Sig pistol

markand

I like the SIG P-229

The P-229 is a great gun. IMHO, not too big, relatively easy to carry, holds 12+1 rounds, comfortable to shoot.

kwikrnu

Banned
I don't the answer to the question, but I have a glock 32 with a 9mm barrel. That may very well be the best .357 sig pistol because converting it to 9mm or .40 s&w only costs $120 or so each (magazine and barrel-threaded is a little more expensive).

threadedglocks.jpg

REALteach4u

The P-229 is a great gun. IMHO, not too big, relatively easy to carry, holds 12+1 rounds, comfortable to shoot.

Beat me to it!

Go all metal with the .357 Sig round. You'll find that the polymer pistols just aren't as nice in the hand with that specific round. The return to target is also increased with the all metal gun.

I've shot that round in the Glock and the Sig. Though I'm a Glock guy, I preferred how the Sig shot that specific round over the Glock. It didn't help that the mag catch lips kept rolling which caused the Glock mags to kick out under recoil. (that's not typical of Glocks either, it was just bad mags)

kwikrnu

Banned
so then if you convert your Glock 32 to 9mm you can use all the 9mm magazines that glock makes?

I don't think the glock 26 mags will work as they are too short to fit into the grip. The mag in the glock 32 in the pic is a glock 19 magazine, but the mag for a glock 17 and the 30+ round mags fit too.

REALteach4u

so then if you convert your Glock 32 to 9mm you can use all the 9mm magazines that glock makes?

Only the mags that fit that specific frame size.

Remember, those conversion kits ARE NOT meant to be used for anything but target practice.

MarlboroLts5150

Beat me to it!

Go all metal with the .357 Sig round. You'll find that the polymer pistols just aren't as nice in the hand with that specific round. The return to target is also increased with the all metal gun.

I've shot that round in the Glock and the Sig. Though I'm a Glock guy, I preferred how the Sig shot that specific round over the Glock. It didn't help that the mag catch lips kept rolling which caused the Glock mags to kick out under recoil. (that's not typical of Glocks either, it was just bad mags)

Own it....love it. If you got the $$$, .... GET IT!!!!

Attachments

• sig229.jpg
    sig229.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 3,967
Last edited:

markand

I got mine used

Own it....love it. If you got the $$$, .... GET IT!!!!

They ain't cheap, that's for sure. I shopped around and found a great deal on a used one about 5 years ago. I got it in .40 S&W, then got a .357 SIG barrel, then Crimson Trace Laser Grips, finally a 9 mm barrel from BarSto. I can shoot any of the 3 calibers with only a barrel change. A well cared for used gun is a great bargain and may allow you to acquire a nicer gun than you might otherwise be able to afford.

MarlboroLts5150

They ain't cheap, that's for sure. I shopped around and found a great deal on a used one about 5 years ago. I got it in .40 S&W, then got a .357 SIG barrel, then Crimson Trace Laser Grips, finally a 9 mm barrel from BarSto. I can shoot any of the 3 calibers with only a barrel change. A well cared for used gun is a great bargain and may allow you to acquire a nicer gun than you might otherwise be able to afford.

True. I decided to go with new, bought enough used. Got the Iridium Night Sites, SRT (short-return trigger) and add the CT laser grips as well. I absolutely love my Sig-Sauer.

When I make my trip to Georgia from California, as soon as I cross the AZ State Line, I'm hitting the nearest dealer for my 12-round mags. "thumbs-up"

Last edited:

palerider116

I love my Glock 33. Like Kwik pointed out about the 32, you can do the same with a 33 and change parts out between it and the 26 and 27.

irish52084

I own a glock 32 and I like it very much. However, I sold my xd to buy it and I now wish I would have bought another xd in 357SIg. I like the feel of the xd's better than the glocks as well as the trigger. that said, I really do like the 32 and doubt I'll sell it anytime soon.

If I have to pick one pistol for the 357Sig I'd pick the 4" xd. I'd say that my top pistols for 357sig would be the sig 229, xd, glock and then everything else.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I have to disagree that the plastic guns aren't easy to handle with the .357sig round. I HAD a Glock 31, but my MOM kidnapped it from me. Been trying to find her a decent carry weapon for years. She won't give it back...

j4l

Agreed. My poly-framed .45 is turning out to be the smoothest,easiest-handling .45 Ive ever fired. And Ive always been a die-hard 1911 guy. I shoot far better with this than I did with any 1911 before.

Marco

Which pistol chambered in .357 sig do you think is the best overall?

You posted the original question over 14months ago and you still haven't made a up your mind????/

STI 5.0/6.0 Edge or G35/G24 w/.357sig barrel.

IMHO, anything less than a 5- 6" barrel and you've got nothing more than a 9mm+P, so why spend the extra money on the ammo.

Last edited:

tomrkba

I really like the SIG P229. It's not the best combination of features: height, width, weight, trigger, and capacity. What it does excel at is managing the recoil of the 357 SIG cartridge. SIG has addressed the trigger issues with their SRT system. It can also be tuned by a gunsmith. They also have the E2 grips which slim the grip a bit.

I think the Glock 32 has too much recoil. It's not pleasant to shoot more than 50 rounds in a session. Training with it would be very difficult; I doubt I could complete two full days of training. The recoil also increases my shot recovery time.

Last edited: