Thread: Concealed Carry on Campus

Concealed Carry on Campus

Last edited by TheQ; 12-06-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Man I wish, but this is a pipe dream. This is the Golden Calf of concealed carry regulations because the opposition is so entrenched, emotional, and wide-spread. It would not just be the normal gun-control advocates but also the media (because it makes headlines due to the emotion of the topic) and parents who normally don't get involved would become so. The arguments against campus carry are extremely irrational but extremely effective when it comes to the general populace. Not that the general populace is irrational, they are merely only exposed to headlines and fire-breathing pundits because those fit the 30-second time slot on the local news much better than the complete and thorough argument that goes into campus carry. If the general population took the time to look at both sides of the argument instead of resorting to the easy stereotypes and one-line slogans we would see an interesting shift.

Anyways, the point is that if this ever passed we would know that we have finally tipped the public opinion in our favor in a huge way because it means that the biggest arguments against people carrying guns have been defeated in the eyes of the general public.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sefner View Post
    Man I wish, but this is a pipe dream. This is the Golden Calf of concealed carry regulations because the opposition is so entrenched, emotional, and wide-spread. It would not just be the normal gun-control advocates but also the media (because it makes headlines due to the emotion of the topic) and parents who normally don't get involved would become so. The arguments against campus carry are extremely irrational but extremely effective when it comes to the general populace. Not that the general populace is irrational, they are merely only exposed to headlines and fire-breathing pundits because those fit the 30-second time slot on the local news much better than the complete and thorough argument that goes into campus carry. If the general population took the time to look at both sides of the argument instead of resorting to the easy stereotypes and one-line slogans we would see an interesting shift.

Anyways, the point is that if this ever passed we would know that we have finally tipped the public opinion in our favor in a huge way because it means that the biggest arguments against people carrying guns have been defeated in the eyes of the general public.
    You realize there are 71 campuses in the U.S. that allow cc on their campus. 38 of them started that this semester. Utah's law doesn't allow for colleges to ban it. It's not a pipe dream, it is just the very beginning of a process that has started. Just as we are seeing progress in the RKBA being restored we are seeing progress in regaining campus carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sefner View Post

randy richardville of monroe attempted to do this last year, now he is the head of the state senate, we may have a chance to get something like this done, but i have no idea if snyder would sign it.

Western Michigan about 45 minutes south just recently had 2 students robbed at gun point. I talked to a friend who is a student there and the schools solution was to give the students rape whistles. If rape whistles work so well against bad guys with guns who come our police don't carry whistles instead of their side arms.