Thread: Portland City Council Meeting 06DEC2010

Portland City Council Meeting 06DEC2010

I went to the Portland City Council meeting tonight to talk about their ordinances banning carrying at night, registering sales of handguns, and registration requirements for gun dealers. These ordinances are in violation of State Preemption.

I spoke during the Public Comment Session. I didn't want it to be on the agenda because honestly I didn't want to make this a big issue considering the ordinances are unenforceable anyway and so far have not been enforced. It is a simple matter of repealing those ordinances. The mayor thanked me for bringing the matter to their attention and the Corporation Council (City Attorney) took copies of the ordinances that are in violation. I imagine a repeal of these ordinances to be on an upcoming agenda so that the city can get into compliance with State Law.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    I went to the Portland City Council meeting tonight to talk about their ordinances banning carrying at night, registering sales of handguns, and registration requirements for gun dealers. These ordinances are in violation of State Preemption.

I spoke during the Public Comment Session. I didn't want it to be on the agenda because honestly I didn't want to make this a big issue considering the ordinances are unenforceable anyway and so far have not been enforced. It is a simple matter of repealing those ordinances. The mayor thanked me for bringing the matter to their attention and the Corporation Council (City Attorney) took copies of the ordinances that are in violation. I imagine a repeal of these ordinances to be on an upcoming agenda so that the city can get into compliance with State Law.
    How did things go with the representative you were planning to meet, or has that not happened yet?
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by ep0k View Post
    How did things go with the representative you were planning to meet, or has that not happened yet?
    Got an email from his office yesterday actually. Still trying to schedule a meeting, but he's been very busy.