• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you guys make settlements work so well?

Duracell

I'm interested in pursuing my legal options as extensively as possible if I ever am subjected to a wrongful arrest or detention by LE. Here in TN, we don't have a history of successful settlements for OCers.

I'm aware that the legal climate in VA is slightly different- you don't need a permit to OC, if I remember correctly, and this may trip many officers up.

If I end up in a situation like that, and you had better believe that I will not seek one out as I know that initially it will cost me frustration, time, and money, what is the best course to follow? I am of the opinion that governments only learn when they have to pay out a hefty price, so I would obviously be pursuing that goal if I have cause for a settlement.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Best advice I can give you is to avoid legal problems.

If you yourself embroiled in such difficulty, seek competent, professional council - call an attorney, sooner rather than later. Make sure that you follow his instructions as you will be paying for that advice, in advance in many cases.

Insofar as getting such advice here on OCDO, please note the disclaimer:

The law is always in a state of flux and even lawyers and judges get it wrong from time to time. All advice posted on this forum should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an attorney, law enforcement official or expert in a given field, there is no way to verify that fact or that they are correct. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified! NOTHING CONTAINED HEREIN SHOULD BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE!

While you are here please read all of the rules.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

One more thought to share, remember that in every case there are two attorneys; the winning side and the losing side. Select the right side - there is no "do over."

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

I heard this saying somewhere, (good guy saying this, GUY 1) But I am not looking for any trouble (guy 2 the bad guy) You make not be looking for trouble, but trouble may be looking for you.

Now to my point, use good judgement if you are in a self defence situation.

Be polite to police men if you are asked about your weapon, etc...

use logic.

I do not know how things work in TN.

I do not give legal advice.

Last edited:

All American Nightmare

I'm interested in pursuing my legal options as extensively as possible if I ever am subjected to a wrongful arrest or detention by LE. Here in TN, we don't have a history of successful settlements for OCers.

I'm aware that the legal climate in VA is slightly different- you don't need a permit to OC, if I remember correctly, and this may trip many officers up.

If I end up in a situation like that, and you had better believe that I will not seek one out as I know that initially it will cost me frustration, time, and money, what is the best course to follow? I am of the opinion that governments only learn when they have to pay out a hefty price, so I would obviously be pursuing that goal if I have cause for a settlement.
Tell us a little about yourself. Kinda seems like your fishing? However here are some links for va laws http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf http://vaguninfo.com/ http://vagunforum.net/virginia-laws/code-virginia-firearms-laws-t2.html

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
1 - Be absolutely, 100%, indisputably, unquestionably right.

2 - Don't go looking for it.