• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about OC

*1911_man*

Just wondering about the legalities behind my idea of carrying an NAA mini .22 mag revolver, with the belt clip holster thing. I was wondering if it would be legal to carry it in your pocket, like a knife, with the clip on your pocket? About 1-2 inches of the gun/holster show when its in my pocket. My main interest is that it is small, compact, and all i have to do is clip it and go. Im 20 years old, so CC isnt an option for me.

acmariner99

As long as the firearm can be seen then you are fine -- partial OC is considered OC (clarify please). With such a small pistol, it would be hard to keep it from being concealed accidentally though.

azcdlfred

Just wondering about the legalities behind my idea of carrying an NAA mini .22 mag revolver, with the belt clip holster thing. I was wondering if it would be legal to carry it in your pocket, like a knife, with the clip on your pocket? About 1-2 inches of the gun/holster show when its in my pocket. My main interest is that it is small, compact, and all i have to do is clip it and go. Im 20 years old, so CC isnt an option for me.
Since the laws deal with "weapons" I don't know if a pocket .22 revovler is covered. Drum roll and rimshot. I'll be here all week. Try the veal :dude:

Seriously, I advise you read the law that applies to under 21, ARS 13-3102.B.3.

The law refers to a portion of the gun or holster being visible. Bear in mind that the old law referred to "wholly or partially visible" and a 1994 court determined that it really said "visible under oridnary observation." Cops have been conditioned to the "ordinary observation" standard for over a decade and it's unlikely they'll suddenly erase everyting they've learned.

Personally, I think the pocket pistol works against you. If you're going to exercise your right to bear arms, I recommend wearing a gun that reflects a "skill at arms." My opinoin is that if you wore even a compact semi-auto or pistol (.38 cal / 9mm or higher) in a professional way you'll get hassled less than with a .22 mini "hidden" in your pocket.

However, if cost is a factor - any gun is better than no gun.

Flame away :cool:

Fred

Last edited:

mFonz77

A Kel-Tec PF9 costs about the same what an NAA .22 would...at least based on a quick gunbroker search. In Whetstone Dean @ Chosin's has them for $300 out the door.

But for the original question, as long as it's painfully obvious you're carrying a gun I'd say you're good to go.

*1911_man*

Well its not that i don't have a bigger gun, i have several others, including a brand new kimber i just got myself for my birthday :D

But i was thinking like if i go to dinner with my girlfriend and her parents that the gun wouldn't be horribly obvious, but still visible and legal. The .22 magnum packs quite a punch up to about 9 yards, and is surprisingly accurate at those ranges as well. But for occasions where i font think a larger gun would be appropriate. The little naa just has a more discrete and classy look to it.

I could carry it on my belt, but if i were going to do that i might as well carry a larger firearm. I just wanted to know if it was in fact, legal by Arizona standards.

azcdlfred

But i was thinking like if i go to dinner with my girlfriend and her parents that the gun wouldn't be horribly obvious, but still visible and legal.
Tehcnically it's legal, but that tiny with it barely showing, a cop might disagree and you'd be spending a lot of money on court costs and attorney fees to find out for sure.

Also, bear in mind that you can NOT carry into any place that serves alcohol (that isn't "posted") unless you (1) have a CCW permit and are (2) carrying concealed. So that limits where you can dine with your girl firend and her parental units. That pretty much eliminates nice eateries.

Personally, I'd go with that nice 1911 you treated yourself to. Don't forget at least one spare magazine on your support side.

Fred

*1911_man*

I figured as much. No sense in risking going to jail and having my gun taken from me. Ill just carry some 18% pepper spray, a good knife and leave the firearm in the car.