• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proper transport of a gun to the range (no CHP)

O

outd00rs

Being a relatively new owner of a handgun I wanted to ask a couple of questions in hopes of avoiding any issues when traveling to and from the range.

When transporting my handgun to the range what is the proper way to store the gun? I drive a access cab truck and there isn't a place in the vehicle like a trunk that can be used to store the gun.

My main concern is that I put the gun somewhere that could be construed as concealing it. I obviously don't have a CHP.

I also don't want to have the gun sitting on the seat in plain view either. Previously I have put the gun in a gym bag behind the drivers seat unloaded and with a cable lock through the barrel.

Is this sufficient? Are there better ways to go about doing this?

DJEEPER

sounds good to me!

as long as the ammo and weapon are in 2 separate places. I would go further and lock up the bag the weapon is in.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
You may lawfully:

A) Openly carry the gun, like laying it in plain view on the seat next to you

B) You may conceal the handgun if you are a regularly enrolled member of a target shooting organization who is at, or going to or from, an established shooting range, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

C) You may carry a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel by placing the handgun in a secured container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.

user

Accomplished Advocate
The essence of "carrying a concealed handgun without a permit" is that you have the gun on or about your body, or so close that you could pick it up and "exercise dominion over it". I.e., if it's within your immediate control, it's in your possession, even if you don't have it "on you". So the easiest thing to do is to make it so that, regardless of how close to you it may be, no one could "exercise dominion" - e.g., slide a long-staple padlock through the cylinder of a revolver, put a cable lock through the unloaded and open semiauto, or put the gun in a box, bag, or case with a lock on it. It really doesn't matter if you have the key handy, the point is that you could not suddenly pick it up and shoot someone.

wylde007

C) You may carry a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel by placing the handgun in a secured container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel - without a permit
Emphasis mine, as the rule was changed this past legislative session.

It is important to note that, while perfectly legal, it is not suggested to stow/store your sidearm by laying it on the seat or dashboard. The reason for this is the same as for any other bulky or weighty item: in a crash it becomes a projectile and, depending on the manner of safety, could also result in an AD.

The likelihood of that occurring with a modern firearm is VERY SLIM, but the potential is there, nonetheless.

You could install something like this:

http://www.fobusholster.com/products/UNIVERSAL_HOME_VEHICLE_MOUNT-2641-61.html

or this:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/gear-talk/84901-holster-mount-car-2.html#post2501549

Which would still qualify as "open" carry but also have the added benefit of SECURING your weapon, too.

ocholsteroc

Emphasis mine, as the rule was changed this past legislative session.

It is important to note that, while perfectly legal, it is not suggested to stow/store your sidearm by laying it on the seat or dashboard. The reason for this is the same as for any other bulky or weighty item: in a crash it becomes a projectile and, depending on the manner of safety, could also result in an AD.

The likelihood of that occurring with a modern firearm is VERY SLIM, but the potential is there, nonetheless.

You could install something like this:

http://www.fobusholster.com/products/UNIVERSAL_HOME_VEHICLE_MOUNT-2641-61.html

or this:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/gear-talk/84901-holster-mount-car-2.html#post2501549

Which would still qualify as "open" carry but also have the added benefit of SECURING your weapon, too.

I really do not know about under the stearing wheel guns, it makes you look like a gangsta, if a cop pulled you over and saw you had a gun stored like this, he might think you are a gangsta. I rather have it installed next to my driving gears. It looks more professional. :cool:

What ever you do, NEVER NEVER EVER EVER place the gun under the seat thats illgeal. Glove box is ok if it shuts. Law was passed in July 1 2010 ( I am not a lawyer look this up for yourself)

Edited due to spelling error :eek:

Last edited:

wylde007

ocholsteroc, please stop providing "advice" that is not substantiated by a cite to law. Yours is an opinion. The act is perfectly legal, regardless of the safety/security of the weapon in such an act.

And neither of my posts suggests an under-the-steering-wheel configuration. You came to that conclusion on your own. It could be very easily argued that under-the-steering-wheel would NOT be reasonably of common observation, whereas the console-mounted holsters would be.

Please refrain from inferring irrelevant and unintended references to the content of others' posts.

ocholsteroc

Not sure about that advice, could we get a cite please? Laying in the passenger seat is certainly open to common observation so it isn't concealed. On what grounds do you see this as illegal?

oppps! I ment UNDER not 'in' the seat, spelling error sorry. Yeah, never place a gun under the seat thats illgeal.

And to 007, I was just saying my opinion on the under the stearing wheel kinda looks dangerous 'bad idea'.
Sorry for the spelling error.

It could be very easily argued that under-the-steering-wheel would NOT be reasonably of common observation, whereas the console-mounted holsters would be.

1+

Last edited:

2a4all

You may lawfully:

A) Openly carry the gun, like laying it in plain view on the seat next to you

B) You may conceal the handgun if you are a regularly enrolled member of a target shooting organization who is at, or going to or from, an established shooting range, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

C) You may carry a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel by placing the handgun in a secured container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.
Option C above may be your best bet. You'll also have to transport your gun between your vehicle and the firing line when you get to the range, and many ranges require that weapons be "cased" when not actually in use on the line. The case your gun came in will work well. I have an inexpensive, generic plastic carrying case that I use, which is large enough to hold a handgun, an extra mag, a loader and a box of ammo. Makes a very convenient package.

TFred

oppps! I ment UNDER not 'in' the seat, spelling error sorry. Yeah, never place a gun under the seat thats illgeal.
Where in the world did you get this idea? Concealed (other than secured, according to the new law) without a permit is illegal, but there is nothing in the code that speaks to "under the seat".

TFred

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

Where in the world did you get this idea? Concealed (other than secured, according to the new law) without a permit is illegal, but there is nothing in the code that speaks to "under the seat".

TFred

I am confused now... Placing a gun UNDER YOUR SEAT is illgeal isnt it??(thats what I was stating, never place a gun there, Becuase it is concealed & not in a secured container)

In the glove box/secured container is legal as of July 1st 2010 ( not a lawyer)

Last edited:

TFred

I am confused now... Placing a gun UNDER YOUR SEAT is illgeal isnt it??(thats what I was stating, never place a gun there)

In the glove box/secured container is legal as of July 1st 2010
A) You DO HAVE a CHP.
You may place a gun anywhere in your car that you want to, concealed or unconcealed, loaded or unloaded, holstered or unholstered, of course keeping in mind that you don't want to scare people.

B) You do NOT have a CHP.
You may place a loaded gun in a "secured container". If the secured container is a portable container, you may place that container anywhere in the car, within or without of your immediate reach.
You may place a gun that is NOT in a secured container anywhere in your car that is "commonly visible", within or without of your immediate reach.

The only condition under which it would be illegal to place a gun under your seat would be if you do NOT have a CHP and the gun under the seat is NOT inside a secured container.

IANAL, this is my understanding of the current state of the law.

TFred

ocholsteroc

I'll be here all week. :lol:

But seriously... that is why we are here. Do you recall where you got that idea from? I don't recall any recent discussion of "under the seat" specifically. Maybe another state?

TFred

I think the idea was from watching cops all the time, finding 'guns under the seat you go to jail' yeah those are other states, we are a different state.