• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Notify LEO and what he knows..

billv

I will be moving to NC in a year of so, and am a CCW holder in TX where I live now (and will soon be a CCW holder from AZ too).

I've followed some threads on other forums on notifying LEO's that you are a CCW holder and am carrying or not. I know in NC that you have to inform - we also have to in TX too. I don't have a problem with that. I'm not here to start a flame war over should you should you not, so don't bother if you don't agree. I have a practical question....

It was said that the CCW is tied to your DL and also your car registration so if you are pulled over, the LEO knows if you have a CCW or not. Ok, we live in the information age. As far as I know it's not in TX, but I imagine in TX that they can find out the owner of the car from the license plate pull up the owner's DL so in TX they'd likely know if I have CCW or not here too.

So what happens if my wife (who does not have a CCW) is driving my car and is pulled over? Are both or my cars tagged with that fact? I don't see a need to hassle her with CCW issues.

Thanks,

REDFIVE48

Never worried about my wife driving my or her car (its titled in my name also). The officer will know immediately that she is not me and CHP should not come up and never has. Welcome to NC

jerz_subbie

tied to your DL YES..but not your vehicle registration

This is what I've heard, as well as it's not as easy as we think for an LEO to pull up our DL info from just running our plate.

A HS friend's dad(LEO) took his DL away from him until he remembered the number so that if he gets pulled over and didn't have his DL on him for some reason he can still give the officer his DL number and the officer can do his job.

muccione

A HS friend's dad(LEO) took his DL away from him until he remembered the number so that if he gets pulled over and didn't have his DL on him for some reason he can still give the officer his DL number and the officer can do his job.
What a dick!!!! The kid will still get ticket for not having his DL...

sultan62

What a dick!!!! The kid will still get ticket for not having his DL...

From what I understand (read: not personal experience) they typically don't ticket for that offense unless the officer is a dick or is having a bad day, unless it's in addition to other offenses.

elixin77

Keep in mind, that if you do not have a firearm on you if and when you encounter a cop, then you do NOT have to inform him that you have a CHP.

It'd be like telling a cop whether or not you have a cell phone - who cares?

If you are carrying *concealed*, and you do have to talk to a cop, then the first words out of your mouth are "officer, I have a CHP, and I am carrying at [insert where it is here]." If you are OC'ing, then you do NOT have to inform him, as the gun is in the open.

I got pulled over a few days ago because my registration is out of date. I wasn't armed, so I didn't tell the cop that I had a CHP or that I had a gun or anything. He noted the fact that he saw the CHP attached to my license when he pulled me up in the system, but I told him that I didn't inform because I wasn't armed, and there is no legal need to. he said fair enough, gave me my "expired registration" citation, and we went on our merry way

Last edited:

chiefjason

tied to your DL YES..but not your vehicle registration

Not quite. The owners information is tied to the vehicle registration. I wondered the same thing as the OP. I had a family member run the tag on my van. There is a link the LEO can click on to get the owners info. That is where they will see that the owner has a CCP. But my wife does not look a bit like me, so we did not worry much about that. It's good to know though. She has her own CCP now too.

So the answer is that if the vehicle is in your name, and you have a CCP, then that information is accessible to the LEO. But there is no reason for your wife to mention it. The LEO may randomly ask if there are any weapons, drugs, etc. Some will, some will not. If she has no weapons there is no reason to make it an issue, for her or the LEO. My wife was in an accident recently, no issue from it at all.