• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gregoire's special session may signal upcoming challenges

amlevin

Increased taxes may be difficult with the passage of Initiative 1053. No more "Emergencies" declared by the old 50% +1 vote. Now takes 2/3 of both house and senate to raise taxes AND any fees that they might look to to balance the budget. If the Republicans stick together this would make increases impossible in either taxes or fees. THAT would force them to CUT THE WASTE.

No pay raises, less staff, less "managers", etc. No more cars just because your a "Department Head", etc.

Just a hint for those that want to "go after gun owners", they spend money on those things. That means taxes paid at every level. The Dealer, the Purchaser, the guy that sells the ammo, the ranges where they shoot Every $1,000 of gun purchase brings in at least $100 in taxes, not counting the "fees" paid by the Dealer to have a license, the B&O tax he pays, the payroll taxes on his employees, and all this doesn't take into consideration the jobs that are created by the "industry". We have several Manufacturers in this State that make and sell those "Evil Black Rifles and their Parts". Kiss off the money they send in to the State Treasury every month.

Another area for Legislators to consider cuts is their own staff. Why can't they do their own reading and research for a change. Might understand the issues better if they did, rather than getting it "regurgitated" by a "staffer" (that we didn't elect to represent us).

kenshin

Increased taxes may be difficult with the passage of Initiative 1053. No more "Emergencies" declared by the old 50% +1 vote. Now takes 2/3 of both house and senate to raise taxes AND any fees that they might look to to balance the budget. If the Republicans stick together this would make increases impossible in either taxes or fees. THAT would force them to CUT THE WASTE.

No pay raises, less staff, less "managers", etc. No more cars just because your a "Department Head", etc.

+1 It will be interesting to see what they end up cutting to meet the budget gap.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
I think the answer is to put them on defense instead of offense by proposing a few bills of our own.

1. Put teeth into pre-emption with penalties to local jurisdictions AND politicions that violate it.

2. Wider reciprocacy ... perhaps recognizing the CPL's from ALL states.

3. 18 year old carry

4. Legalize NFA items

shad0wfax

I think the answer is to put them on defense instead of offense by proposing a few bills of our own.

1. Put teeth into pre-emption with penalties to local jurisdictions AND politicions that violate it.

3. 18 year old carry

4. Legalize NFA items

5. Washington state firearms sovereignty bill telling the BATFE to "See Amendment X" if they have any questions.

amlevin

3. 18 year old carry

4. Legalize NFA items

The only way this will happen is someone has pictures of key State Legislative Committee members in compromising positions with Farm Animals.
Most bills that are introduced don't even make it out of Committee unless there is some real influential support. Then they need to get the necessary votes on the floor.

There is, of course, the Initiative process. No reason why Washington Gun Law can't be modified or enhanced using this process.

BTW, what would "Universal Reciprocity" do for us. Merely recognizing THEIR permits doesn't mean that OUR permit will be recognized there. Call me selfish if you will but it's not as big a concern to me if someone from California can carry here under their permit. MY interest is whether I can carry in California (and other states).

The main issue for Washington's lack of recognition in many other states is the lack of a training requirement for a CPL. The big "universal permit states" like Utah and Florida both have a training requirement. If Washington was to adopt a training prerequisite, even as simple as Maryland's, we might see lots more States added to where WE can carry.

That's just my 25 Centavos worth (current value $0.02)

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

The main issue for Washington's lack of recognition in many other states is the lack of a training requirement for a CPL. The big "universal permit states" like Utah and Florida both have a training requirement. If Washington was to adopt a training prerequisite, even as simple as Maryland's, we might see lots more States added to where WE can carry.

Sounds like a very bad idea. We don't need more 'prerequisites' in order to exercise our rights.

Since I spend most of my time in WA, I'd rather not foul up our CCW laws so some people can enjoy time in Maryland every 5th summer.