• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is your opinion of the Ruger P95?

CenTex

As an owner, what is your opinion of the Ruger P95?

I am looking to buy my first semi-automatic and I want to keep it well below $500. I am interested in hearing what you people say that now own the Ruger P95, or you have owned it in the past. If you have never owned one and/or never used it, please do not respond. This includes those who have owned one but never used it. I am looking to hear from those who know this gun well.

I have seen it listed at $393 on the Internet for the blued one. I actually prefer the blued one over the stainless one. Is there a quality difference between them? The stainless was listed for $424 on the same Internet site.

Do you know where I can get it cheaper?

Is this firearm easy to CC?

Permit me to thank you in advance for your comments.

Last edited:

ZackL

I agree that it should be moved... However, I didn't open this thread to tell you that.

I have owned and carried a p95 for about a year now and have put roughly 1750 rounds through it. In that time I have come to love nearly everything about it. It's a great full sized firearm that is reasonably priced. If you look on Gunbroker you can probably pick a blued version up for somewhere around $300 and I know Gallery has them for right around that range at most dealers.

The reason I bought it is that I am, shall we say, less than well-off. But I wanted to be able to protect myself and my family and also join the open carry crowd. I chose the stainless model and paid $380 locally, at a slightly overpriced gun shop. When I was deciding the available rounds per magazine and the solid reputation of Ruger are what set my mind on it, while there are other options in this price range, I wanted to know that I had the backing of a quality company.

Now, out of the 1750 rounds that have been through the gun, there have only been four jams and none of them were when I was shooting it. My cousin (4'11 female) had a few issues with it after it sat, unused, in my holster for about two months and started to dry out a bit. She was limp wristing because I had no issues with it, but it wasn't lubed up quite as well as it could have been. Other than that, there hasn't been a single issue.

One of two things I don't like about the P95 is that the grip is a little bigger than I would like it to be, which, when combined with the all polymer frame (i.e. relatively slick) can make shooting difficult for some. I have average sized hands and don't really have a problem with it, but I can see where it would be an issue for someone who is slightly smaller and/or in the rain or snow. The other aspect of the gun that I don't like is the safety. I think that if you're going to have a safety it should be on the frame, not the slide.

All that being said, would I buy another? Absolutely! It has been a great gun and I am actually planning on getting a blued version in the near future as well as a P345. Ruger has earned another customer for life with me.

Also, as for concealment, it would depend on the holster you get, but in general, it's not too easy. You would likely print when CCing and the sights would probably snag on your clothing. I have only ever open carried the gun, but when my shirt has fallen over it (around the house) it isn't the easiest to get to and it's very easy to see that it's there.

oak1971

I had a P90, not the most accurate, but it would be decent from a concealment standpoint. The 95 is of similar dimensions.

Last edited:

619P95

<-----See my Screen Name

The Ruger P95 was my First semi auto pistol, bought it at a gun show for like $285 a few years ago. It has over 3k rounds through it and I have yet to have a jam or fail to eject with it(shooting just about anything I was able to get my hands on from old police issue lead target reloads, FMJ, HPs, it will eat anything). It shoots well, i can shoot a full mag through a 50cent piece at about 20 yds with it. It is my nightstand gun. The grip is a bit on the larger side but as I have big hands that is one of the things that pulled me to it. My Fiance who has small hands has no problem shooting it, she just had trouble racking the slide, but i told her if she is going to shoot it she would have to be able to operate it with out help.

CenTex

It's a tank: both rugged, and big/heavy. There is a limited selection of holsters, but the gun itself is a good one.

From what you said here, I take it that it would not make a pracitcal conceal carry. Is that right? I am looking for a semi-automatic that I can open carry and conceal carry.

I am also looking at possibly finding a Makarov 9mm.

Last edited:

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Having shot the P95 alongside the FNH FN-9

I am looking to buy my first semi-automatic and I want to keep it well below $500. I am interested in hearing what you people say that now own the Ruger P95, or you have owned it in the past. If you have never owned one and/or never used it, please do not respond. This includes those who have owned one but never used it. I am looking to hear from those who know this gun well.

I have seen it listed at $393 on the Internet for the blued one. I actually prefer the blued one over the stainless one. Is there a quality difference between them? The stainless was listed for $424 on the same Internet site.

I have shot both the Ruger and the FNH and decided on purchasing the FN-9 seems to handle better more accurate and lighter . Ruger have a great warranty as does FNH so go hold them both and see which you prefer the FN is superior in my opinion.

CenTex

I have shot both the Ruger and the FNH and decided on purchasing the FN-9 seems to handle better more accurate and lighter . Ruger have a great warranty as does FNH so go hold them both and see which you prefer the FN is superior in my opinion.

Thanks, I will take a look at both the FNH and the FN-9. I've been looking at the Rugers.

Last edited:

Iopencarry

I have and open carry daily the P-91 .40 cal

I feel it is great. I can hold a 4" group at 25 yrds.

fits my large hands, and my wifes small hands can control it just fine. She enjoys shooting it more then my SP 101 in .357

I have also concealed when and where legal, and it is a large gun. But doable for my over 6 foot frame. I would recommend a behind the back or shoulder rig. I feel it most likely profile inside the belt on your side. As I feel it does on me, but no one has ever said anything.

Dale
CCOC

camsoup

Ive got a P95 and love it..... Im in a hurry, will post more later

Feel free to PM, I'm local and was planning on being at Iron Mt. Saturday if the weather holds. You can check out my Ruger in person if you want.