• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surry County Prohibition on Loaded firearms

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
It will be interesting to see. The correct code reference was moved to Title 15, same sub-sections, etc., and all they have to do to be compliant is remove the three words "or other firearm" from their local code.

TFred

You may be right. I can tell them that if they write or call.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I've learned, over the years, that there are some people who are just not worth trying to be nice to. And the folks in Surry County have pretty much demonstrated to me that they are such people. Also, "to the man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail", and I'm a litigator. I'd have been inclined to just go ahead and file the suit. Actually, what I was thinking of was a petition in the Sup. Ct. for a writ of prohibition(don't try to enforce that statute) and mandamus (do your job, public officials!).

Repeater

Surry County businesses: potential allies?

Is it possible that gun owners and groups like VCDL could reach out to businesses in Surry County to let them know that discrimination against gun owners is bad for business -- and that welcome treatment of gun owners is good for business?

A well-known business in Surry is Edwards, known far and wide for their excellent ham and other pork traditions.

In their catalog, their map showing the location of their stores features the Surry ferry:

MapSm.JPG

Obviously, use of the ferry makes it easier for people to visit their stores, and possibly make purchases too.

Maybe businesses like Edwards do not know how gun owners are being treated in Surry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is it possible that gun owners and groups like VCDL could reach out to businesses in Surry County to let them know that discrimination against gun owners is bad for business -- and that welcome treatment of gun owners is good for business?

Obviously, use of the ferry makes it easier for people to visit their stores, and possibly make purchases too.

Maybe businesses like Edwards do not know how gun owners are being treated in Surry.

Oh they are becoming acutely aware and will be the more so, I GUARANTEE it. :lol:

BTW - The Surrey House Restaurant is a very good friend. They are a well known and rightfully famous landmark dining facility.

wylde007

BTW - The Surrey House Restaurant is a very good friend. They are a well known and rightfully famous landmark dining facility.
10-4 +1 on that!

Like I said when we visited this past summer (seems like ages ago, doesn't it?) I have been visiting Surrey House since I was a lad in the late-'70s/early '80s with my folks when we would go to Chanco.

It used to be here (note proximity to ferry landing): 37.180085,-76.78346
But now it's here (not so proximate): 37.19653,-76.899889

Coming from VB I still have to pass the Surrey House on the way in, though!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
10-4 +1 on that!

Like I said when we visited this past summer (seems like ages ago, doesn't it?) I have been visiting Surrey House since I was a lad in the late-'70s/early '80s with my folks when we would go to Chanco.

It used to be here (note proximity to ferry landing): 37.180085,-76.78346
But now it's here (not so proximate): 37.19653,-76.899889

Coming from VB I still have to pass the Surrey House on the way in, though!

The Surrey House is about a block from the courthouse (GD).
They are following this thread also as are many folks in the county.

I strongly suspect the Sheriff's Department, VDOT and Securiguard are also.:uhoh:

wylde007

Upon my memory (such that it is) one can stand in the parking lot at Surrey House and look right at the Municipal Ctr.
I would expect nothing less.
I strongly suspect the Sheriff's Department, VDOT and Securiguard are also.:uhoh:
Then they should well know that, for the time being, they are the enemy. They have stepped on our liberty and pretended to be protectors when, in fact, they are villains - Villains with extra-constitutional "authority" to which they have laid claim, not which they were granted by the People.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Upon my memory (such that it is) one can stand in the parking lot at Surrey House and look right at the Municipal Ctr.I would expect nothing less.Then they should well know that, for the time being, they are the enemy. They have stepped on our liberty and pretended to be protectors when, in fact, they are villains - Villains with extra-constitutional "authority" to which they have laid claim, not which they were granted by the People.

No offense, but we should be careful to not paint all with too broad a brush.

The good people of the county and especially the owners and staff of Surrey House have expressed no misunderstanding of this situation. The vast majority of the people, I believe, have an open and receptive minds to truth, justice and the American way. We may prove to be the catalyst to cleaning up this "den of inequity" in which they find themselves.

They have awakened a sleeping giant - we just need to be careful of where we trod.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
No offense, but we should be careful to not paint all with too broad a brush.

The good people of the county and especially the owners and staff of Surrey House have expressed no misunderstanding of this situation. The vast majority of the people, I believe, have an open and receptive minds to truth, justice and the American way. We may prove to be the catalyst to cleaning up this "den of inequity" in which they find themselves.

They have awakened a sleeping giant - we just need to be careful of where we trod.

That is particularly why I thought I'd make Surry County aware of the invalid code section within their county code and provide a well mannered notice that they need to change their laws. Court action, if necessary, can be costly to the taxpayers of the county, many of which probably see things from a similar point of view as the rest of us.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That is particularly why I thought I'd make Surry County aware of the invalid code section within their county code and provide a well mannered notice that they need to change their laws. Court action, if necessary, can be costly to the taxpayers of the county, many of which probably see things from a similar point of view as the rest of us.

See User's post (#22) on this thread - no cost to the residents of the county.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

One would think Surry County and many other LEA watch this forum :shocker:.

For heaven's sake, why? This bunch is so law-abiding it's almost boring.

That's true!
I'm on a country builders board that's more subversive than OCDO!:lol:

Some read to gather information to CYA - which says to me that there must be in their minds need to protect their six.

Grandpa used to say, "There is no need to remember the truth as it will always be there when you need to recall it;" and "If you are honest and straight forward, there will be no reason to look over your shoulder." He was a wise man and I miss his council.