• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surry County Prohibition on Loaded firearms

AbNo

The Surrey House is about a block from the courthouse (GD).
They are following this thread also as are many folks in the county.

I strongly suspect the Sheriff's Department, VDOT and Securiguard are also.:uhoh:

You know, if someone down there had been reading this board BEFORE that sec-guard decided to get fresh with Skidsy, they'd have realized how bad of an idea it might be to mess with us, as we don't suffer fools lightly on this sort of thing.

I mean really, did they not think there was going to be court-room-hell to pay?

Hindsight, 20/20, etc.... :uhoh:

Last edited:

All American Nightmare

You know, if someone down there had been reading this board BEFORE that sec-guard decided to get fresh with Skidsy, they'd have realized how bad of an idea it might be to mess with us, as we don't suffer fools lightly on this sort of thing.

I mean really, did they not think there was going to be court-room-hell to pay?

Hindsight, 20/20, etc.... :uhoh:
Sad to say Abno but the only one paying is Skidmark and it really sucks for him.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sad to say Abno but the only one paying is Skidmark and it really sucks for him.

That is one of the reasons why our support of Skid is so important. We can't take point for him, but we darn sure can protect his flanks and six - good perimeter security.

That and the mezzo-soprano of Surry hasn't sung yet nor has the silver-tongued orator spoken for the record. :cool:

TFred

I just sent the following to the Surry County Administrators:

Greetings Surry County Administrators,

[...]

We'll see what they do.
Refreshed by a reference in another current thread... I'm assuming that since you have not posted an update, you heard crickets from this?

The ordinance is still in the Municode site for Surry County.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Refreshed by a reference in another current thread... I'm assuming that since you have not posted an update, you heard crickets from this?

TFred

Apparently they are at least aware it's unenforceable TFred.

After the first hearing, Poindexter walked into the Surry House full of armed people and took pictures with his cell phone over his shoulder.

This last date, A Deputy was forced to apologize to Grapeshot for saying he couldn't wear a gun in the building.

Poindexter complained to the Judge that "There are Armed Men outside". I wasn't in the courtroom then but from what I gather, the Judge wasn't very interested.

TFred

Apparently they are at least aware it's unenforceable TFred.

After the first hearing, Poindexter walked into the Surry House full of armed people and took pictures with his cell phone over his shoulder.

This last date, A Deputy was forced to apologize to Grapeshot for saying he couldn't wear a gun in the building.

Poindexter complained to the Judge that "There are Armed Men outside". I wasn't in the courtroom then but from what I gather, the Judge wasn't very interested.
You know, I guess we can hope that they realize that it is unenforceable.

I have this image in my mind of these folks jabbering around town all about "them durn redneks with their guns, intimidating the judge into ignoring the law..."

Although I suppose a deputy's apology should pretty firmly indicate that they are aware of it.

You gotta wonder why they just don't fix it... it's kind of a low-hanging fruit for some hotshot lawyer to come along and pluck.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You know, I guess we can hope that they realize that it is unenforceable.

I have this image in my mind of these folks jabbering around town all about "them durn redneks with their guns, intimidating the judge into ignoring the law..."

Although I suppose a deputy's apology should pretty firmly indicate that they are aware of it.

You gotta wonder why they just don't fix it... it's kind of a low-hanging fruit for some hotshot lawyer to come along and pluck.

TFred

I have it in the Doc as part of Boss Poindexters refusal to comply with Virginia Law.
Now that I said that, it may get fixed. We have a pretty good Surry lurker crowd.:uhoh:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member

TFred

That's correct. I've heard nothing from Surry. I think I mentioned the same in the Community Center thread the other day. After hearing of Skidmark's issues I didn't figure I'd hear anything, but if those e-mails are part of public record, then they've been put on notice.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That's correct. I've heard nothing from Surry. I think I mentioned the same in the Community Center thread the other day. After hearing of Skidmark's issues I didn't figure I'd hear anything, but if those e-mails are part of public record, then they've been put on notice.

Reinforced today with my own inquiry to the Board of Supervisors, Surry County
http://www.surrycountyva.gov/departments/contact/board-of-supervisors

It has come to my attention that there is an invalid and unenforceable ordinance on the books for Surry County. Specifically: Sec. 20-66. - Restrictions on loaded weapons.

This ordinance is clearly in violation of the Code of Virginia § 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

Please advise me as to how Surry County will correct this situation.

Your attention to this matter is appreciated and I look forward to your early response.

IMO the present case before the court has no bearing on correcting this. I believe it is a matter of oversight, but one which if neglected could cost the county.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nice job Grape! Good luck getting a response!

I wonder how many municipalities overlook the last line in § 15.2-915

"In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section."

Blk97F150

"In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section."

I don't know.... but you may find out if one county overlooks it!! ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I don't know.... but you may find out if one county overlooks it!! ;)

Hope that isn't necessary - the tax payers bear the brunt of such action and the good people of Surry don't deserve that. Normally such things as this are corrected merely by notifying the local government. Somewhat surprised that hasn't already occurred considering jmelvin's previous correspondence.

Will post any reply received here and follow up as indicated.

riverrat10k

I had lost this thread...

,just a quick thank you again to jmelvin. You, sir, write a very nice, cited, letter. Thanks again for your attention to our rights.

I should be heading to Balcony Falls or the dams below Lynchburg in the next month or two to fish. If I make it, I would like to invite you and mrsjmelvin to dinner if I can get cleaned up enough after the day.

Blk97F150

Hope that isn't necessary - the tax payers bear the brunt of such action and the good people of Surry don't deserve that. Normally such things as this are corrected merely by notifying the local government. Somewhat surprised that hasn't already occurred considering jmelvin's previous correspondence.

Will post any reply received here and follow up as indicated.

I agree, and hope that you are correct. But it seems that some counties aren't as 'responsive' as others.... :uhoh:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
,just a quick thank you again to jmelvin. You, sir, write a very nice, cited, letter. Thanks again for your attention to our rights.

I should be heading to Balcony Falls or the dams below Lynchburg in the next month or two to fish. If I make it, I would like to invite you and mrsjmelvin to dinner if I can get cleaned up enough after the day.

I figure there are many folks who have done the hard work long before I ever arrived and I have a responsibility to honor their work with what little bit I can do. I also would hope that new folks to my home state of Ohio would work to make things better and more free so it's only fair for me to do my part.

We'd be happy to meet for dinner whenever you come down. Just let us know and we'll try to make it happen! :)

FBrinson

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Interesting. I will need to look into this further since I am in Surry several days a week and will be moving there. I haven't had any issues with open carrying there thankfully. I'll be in Surry all week this coming week maybe I can grab the reigns on this.
As best as we can tell, the Surry Sheriff's Dept. has not charged anyone under this ordinance.

Nevertheless, the BoS could save the county a nice chunk of change (civil law suit) if they were to bring the ordinance in compliance with state law. There is no question but that the ordinance is in violation of § 15.2-915
https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915