• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AZ Resident to OC?

billv

A TX Concealed Handgun instructor here in TX told me that to OC in AZ that you have to be an AZ resident? I can't find anything to that effect in the AZ laws.

So what's answer? If you do, please cite statute as I want fact, not opinion.

My sister lives in Tuscon and when I visit I'd like to OC since TX is kind of backwards in that regard.

I am, however, applying for a AZ CCW license to supplement my TX one.

Thanks

rickc1962

I have a CDL from Wy. yes I have lived here of and on for 10 years, but have never changed my place of residence to Az. I have been asked for ID a few times, (becouse of open carry), and have complied, I was always treated with respect, given back my ID and told to have a nice day, so come and enjoy Az., the rest of us do.

Sonora Rebel

No. Anybody 18 or over can OC in AZ. (Not otherwise prohibited.... former felons 'n stuff...) There's no permits or any of that nonsense. AZ issues a CWP... but that's not required anymore either within the state.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
No. Anybody 18 or over can OC in AZ. (Not otherwise prohibited.... former felons 'n stuff...) There's no permits or any of that nonsense. AZ issues a CWP... but that's not required anymore either within the state.

'cept if you're concealing in a place that serves alcohol.

Explain how that makes sense, please.

Sonora Rebel

'cept if you're concealing in a place that serves alcohol.

Explain how that makes sense, please.

I dunno... ask the legislature. 'Gotta have a permit to conceal in a place that serves alcohol, but you can't drink. We all know how that goes... (legally). Reality is often something else. Just sayin'...

acmariner99

Open carry is allowed for anyone over 18 and carrying within the borders of Arizona. Anyone over 21 can carry concealed. It doesn't matter where you are from. If you are of age and in AZ, carry away.

azcdlfred

'cept if you're concealing in a place that serves alcohol. Explain how that makes sense, please.
It's not meant to make sense. That's how laws are made and it's nothing like that fiction they fed you in Civics class.

What happened in Arizona's case was that one particular legislator had been trying for 10 years to get Restaurant Carry in Arizona. In 2009, the NRA "helped" him with the lanugage that eventually became the law we have now. It was crafted to remove opposition from the powerful liquor and restaurant (among others) lobbies.

Another oddity in the bill. For years there had been an attempt to base Restaurant Carry on whether food was served, based on the type of liquor license the establishement had. However in Arizona, most two-bit sandwhich places that served beer also had full blown liquor licenses the same as bars had. So, all that was thrown out the window. As a result, a person with a CCW permit can walk into a full-fledged bar (that isn't "posted"), where the only food is the stale peanuts on the bar and the pickled eggs in the jars behind the bar, discreetly carrying a firearm.

AzCDL didn't create FrankenRestaurant Carry but it's in our sights for improvements. Unfortunately it's a deep hole to dig out of and it will take a number sessions to nudge it in the direction we want to go.

Fred

Last edited:

mFonz77

It's not meant to make sense. That's how laws are made and it's nothing like that fiction they fed you in Civics class.

What happened in Arizona's case was that one particular legislator had been trying for 10 years to get Restaurant Carry in Arizona. In 2009, the NRA "helped" him with the lanugage that eventually became the law we have now. It was crafted to remove opposition from the powerful liquor and restaurant (among others) lobbies.

Another oddity in the bill. For years there had been an attempt to base Restaurant Carry on whether food was served, based on the type of liquor license the establishement had. However in Arizona, most two-bit sandwhich places that served beer also had full blown liquor licenses the same as bars had. So, all that was thrown out the window. As a result, a person with a CCW permit can walk into a full-fledged bar (that isn't "posted"), where the only food is the stale peanuts on the bar and the pickled eggs in the jars behind the bar, discreetly carrying a firearm.

AzCDL didn't create FrankenRestaurant Carry but it's in our sights for improvements. Unfortunately it's a deep hole to dig out of and it will take a number sessions to nudge it in the direction we want to go.

Fred

And I am SO glad we have AZCDL out there working the phones and sending the alerts and generally getting stuff done :)

My biggest peeve are the chains that post in the first place rather than the crazy laws.

MR Redenck

A TX Concealed Handgun instructor here in TX told me that to OC in AZ that you have to be an AZ resident? I can't find anything to that effect in the AZ laws.

So what's answer? If you do, please cite statute as I want fact, not opinion.

My sister lives in Tuscon and when I visit I'd like to OC since TX is kind of backwards in that regard.

I am, however, applying for a AZ CCW license to supplement my TX one.

Thanks

Man you dont have to have a AzCCW if your a Texan!
All you got to do is leave Texas and you become a free man by simply showing up in Arizona!
Thats what my experiance tought me. Arizona has Constitutional Carry! Something Texas Law Makers dont understand!\
Your handgun instructor is an idiot, tell em I said so....

Last edited:

billv

Man you dont have to have a AzCCW if your a Texan!
All you got to do is leave Texas and you become a free man by simply showing up in Arizona!
Thats what my experiance tought me. Arizona has Constitutional Carry! Something Texas Law Makers dont understand!\
Your handgun instructor is an idiot, tell em I said so....

No, he'd no idiot. Him being 20 years Army Spec Ops, Sniper, LEO, trainer in almost all self defense, etc, and seeing how rather large he is, I would not want to get on his bad side. Idiot no, misinformed yes.

I am moving, not west but east to NC. While NC accepts both TX and AZ CCW licenses, there is a period my TX license won't be valid while I change it from resident to non-resident. The AZ license will be valid during the whole move and until I can get my NC CCW which can take up to 120 days. And in NC if push comes to shove, NC is an open carry state too, just not constitutional, yet.

And for the record, I do find it ironic that TX of all states does not allow open carry. I'm moving to get away from the heat here (which AZ has too) and to get four real seasons rather than the two I get here (hot and warm).

ccwinstructor

Centurion
You have a Texas CCW, you can simply apply for an AZ CCW.

I am sure that you realize that to obtain the AZ CCW, you only need to send a copy of your Texas permit along with a filled out application, $60 in money order or cashiers check, and a fingerprint card.

I believe that we at AZCDL will be working to remove the requirement for fingerprints. There is no evidence that it is needed or helpful, and about 1/3 of the cost of the permit is for processing fingerprints.

azcdlfred

I am sure that you realize that to obtain the AZ CCW, you only need to send a copy of your Texas permit along with a filled out application, $60 in money order or cashiers check, and a fingerprint card.
Thanks for bringing that up! I forgot some of the goodies we slipped in that bill.

Also, anyone who is in the military or has been discharged honorably, or "general" under honorable conditions can also get an AZ CCW permit.

These "unadvertised specials" are well hidden at the DPS website.

Fred

billv

I believe that we at AZCDL will be working to remove the requirement for fingerprints. There is no evidence that it is needed or helpful, and about 1/3 of the cost of the permit is for processing fingerprints.

Yes. The envelope is ready to go, copy of TX CHL, fingerprint cards, $60 money order and application. Just need to get right postage on it and sent out tomorrow.

The application doesn't spell out exactly that to do in this case, I just put AZ 13-3112 N.7 in the section for the qualification and included a color copy of my TX CHL, front and back, and where I took the course in Texas in case they want to call them. The CHL should be enough.