• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shreveport/North Louisiana get-together! 1/12

sraacke

Thanks, Grapshot. Round one sent the letters to all 64 Parish Sheriffs. Round two sent the letters to Shreveport PD and about 40 other municipal Police departments. I'm working on Round three which is a list of about 195 Law Enforcement Agencies (LEAs) from small one officer departments to speciality agencies such as Causeway and Levee Board Police. There are Constables and even City Court Marshals in round three. Round three will be going in the mail in the next month or so.
LOCAL is actively getting the word out.

HeroHog

I carry in Shreveport a fair bit. I have had no issues to date but then again, I don't get out a lot and am usually at the "usual" places, Wal-Mart, Super 1 Foods, Gas station(s), a few alcohol-free restaurants etc.. I have heard of the Shreveport being "less than understanding" on this and that their higher-ups encourage this behavior but have no hard evidence of either so take that for what it is worth... Internet rumor.

bushwacker

thanks for the replies, now i read that ocing is permitted except where opposing laws have been in place before preemption nor is it allowed in commercial buildings, when traveling thru cities and counties the way I do , how are we to know if such pre preempted laws exist and what constitutes commercial buildings ie is eaterys and stores considered commercial buildings?

sraacke

thanks for the replies, now i read that ocing is permitted except where opposing laws have been in place before preemption nor is it allowed in commercial buildings, when traveling thru cities and counties the way I do , how are we to know if such pre preempted laws exist and what constitutes commercial buildings ie is eaterys and stores considered commercial buildings?
There is no ban in commercial buildings. That is incorrect. Stores/eaterys are fine unless the management has a policy against carrying or they serve alcohol to be consumed on site.
Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL) has a forum where you can get answers to questions like that. A good place to start is the FAQ thread at
http://www.laopencarry.org/forum-rules-frequently-asked-questions-f2.html

Now, back on topic-

Just a reminder that the meet & greet is still on for Wednesday, January the 12th at 8:00pm at:

Johnny's Catfish & Seafood
5130 Bert Kouns Industrial LP
Shreveport, LA 71129-4842
(318) 686-3695
Open Mon-Thu 11am-9pm; Fri-Sat 11am-10pm
http://anonym.to?http://www.johnnyscatfish.com/

Last edited:

rugersr9c

answer
Shreveport is open carry friendly. No local laws or ordinances. All in line with state statutes.

Cedric
-----Original Message-----
>
To: Glover, Cedric <Cedric.Glover@shreveportla.gov>

Sent: 7/19/2010 3:23:36 PM
Subject:

Hey cedric how you doing today? I frequent a website called OPEN CARRY the question was brought up..Is Shreveport Open Carry friendly.Are there any laws about open carry in Shreveport other than state laws as in location,alcoholic beverage serving ,etc.Carrying a firearm in open in public?Can you tell me or direct me to a site or person who can advise.

HeroHog

7:45 PM I am there and ready. Rory was very nice and accomidating and I have the meeting room to myself.

8:00 PM Just me. I'm starting to sweat.

8:08 PM Still alone, I order my food. The Cold Slaw and Hush-Puppys are great, the beans are good, just a touch spicy, didn't try the pickled `maters. It is a VERY slow night in the place overall.

8:15 PM Food arrives piping hot fresh out of the grease and Perfectly cooked and seasoned! I'm still alone.

8:30 PM I give up, settle up my bill and arrange to try again on a Saturday Evening. Left a good tip and called it a night.

20110112-01.jpg

20110112-02.jpg

20110112-03.jpg

20110112-04.jpg

20110112-05.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Damn Hero that makes me feel bad all the way up here. :(

Thought that the LOCALs would jump on this. Meet 'n Greets are always a lot of fun.

One thing I'll say for you is that you are a One Man Army - keep the faith, brother. :D

DrakeXD

I'm truly surprised that no one showed up. It seemed like you had a lot of good responses. Don't lose hope and reschedule. The food sure looked good.

(It's a shame I live so far away. It would be nice to meet you in person.)

Double_J

wanted to go but not enough notice

I wanted to go, but did not have enough notice to rearrange my schedule. I work 4 days on and 4 days off so hopefully next time I will be off and be able to go. (That and the 8 hour drive makes it hard to do solo).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think part of the problem is that this thread likely did not get stickied early enough. Always put a date in your thread title so that John can see it or make the specific request for a sticky. A 10 -12 day advance notice is generally good enough.

You might try Evite to keep track of who is coming, although I prefer keeping an on-line list as it generates more enthusiasm and keeps people more publicly up to date.

See post #24:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Richmond-Area-OC-Dinner-Jan-11th-2011-at-7-pm

If you build it, they will come.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think part of the problem is that this thread likely did not get stickied early enough. Always put a date in your thread title so that John can see it or make the specific request for a sticky. A 10 -12 day advance notice is generally good enough.

You might try Evite to keep track of who is coming, although I prefer keeping an on-line list as it generates more enthusiasm and keeps people more publicly up to date.

See post #24:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Richmond-Area-OC-Dinner-Jan-11th-2011-at-7-pm

If you build it, they will come.

sraacke

Damn Hero that makes me feel bad all the way up here. :(

Thought that the LOCALs would jump on this. Meet 'n Greets are always a lot of fun.

One thing I'll say for you is that you are a One Man Army - keep the faith, brother. :D

The thing is, Hero is pretty much the only LOCAL (paid) member in the Shreveport/North La area. He was responding to all of the posts that people keep making about not having meetings in the Northern part of the state. He was trying to organize things, get a few LOCAL members up that way and maybe form a LOCAL Chapter. Even with the short notice SOMBODY should have showed. He posted this on at least 6 different forums plus the LOCAL Facebook page. I know for a fact it was posted at Bayou Shooter, USA Carry, Defensive Carry, LOCAL, here at OCDO, Gun Rights Media, The High Road and one or two others which I don't belong to but was told he posted to. The word was out that there was a meet up being planned and then when the date and time was settled. I know that there would be a few who couldn't make it due to work schedules but, frankly, I'm disappointed in this responce.
It's not like there aren't people who are interested in OC in his area. Want proof? I started a thread about the number of forum members of both LOCAL and OCDO. It's at- http://www.laopencarry.org/north-la-open-carriers-time-to-unite-t652.html
Here's the list of people I found on both fourms.

From LOCAL
Herohog-Shreveport
Oscarr -near Minden
Freecitizen- Leesville
Louisiana Carry - Keithville/Shreveport
Metallic- Shreveport (1 post on jan 18, 2010)
Holster72-Works at Barksdale
Sparky- Benton (1post on April 10, 2010)
Nimrodder-West Monroe
Itsmyright- Ruston
Justindodge1021-south of Monroe (1 post, Aug 5 2010)
Mindenglock-Minden/Bossier area
Appleseeder-Shreveport
Exfelon-Shreveport

From OCDO
55bowtie-Shreveport
One_shot-Texas near Shreveport
Rickmarc-Rayville near Monroe
Dreveil911-Shreveport area
99vengeur- Shreveport area
Syntax Error- West Monroe
Pro OC Cop-Northern Louisiana
Wendell chenault - Monroe
two8ez-Monroe
x-sheeple - West Monroe
GPossenti- Bossier City
None of these people got the message? None of them, not one, could show up on a Wednesday night? All of the others who may have seen the announcement from any of the other forums? That's sad. Truly sad.
Speedy says he may try again for a weekend. I'd say try something alot less formal. Just pick a Saturday and say, I'm going to be a Shoneys for breakfast at 10am on Saturday. Anyone else wanting to meet be there. Then show up. See if that brings anyone. IF not, personally I'd be mad.
We had lots of small 3 or 4 person meetups before we started organizing LOCAL. It takes a while here in Louisiana. Nobody gets in a hurry to get involved in things around here.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Then sometimes the gremlins strike when you least expect it. Had a dinner once with 20+ confirmed and a fair number of possibles, nice weather, but only 4 showed up. The restaurant had held an extra server over and blocked off space for us too.

We have had notable successes though with approx. 200 at one dinner and very large numbers at VCDL picnics.

One day this will take off for you like a brush fire, keep hammering and sawing - you've got a good foundation.

55bowtie

The thing is, Hero is pretty much the only LOCAL (paid) member in the Shreveport/North La area. He was responding to all of the posts that people keep making about not having meetings in the Northern part of the state. He was trying to organize things, get a few LOCAL members up that way and maybe form a LOCAL Chapter. Even with the short notice SOMBODY should have showed. He posted this on at least 6 different forums plus the LOCAL Facebook page. I know for a fact it was posted at Bayou Shooter, USA Carry, Defensive Carry, LOCAL, here at OCDO, Gun Rights Media, The High Road and one or two others which I don't belong to but was told he posted to. The word was out that there was a meet up being planned and then when the date and time was settled. I know that there would be a few who couldn't make it due to work schedules but, frankly, I'm disappointed in this responce.
It's not like there aren't people who are interested in OC in his area. Want proof? I started a thread about the number of forum members of both LOCAL and OCDO. It's at- http://www.laopencarry.org/north-la-open-carriers-time-to-unite-t652.html
Here's the list of people I found on both fourms.

From LOCAL
Herohog-Shreveport
Oscarr -near Minden
Freecitizen- Leesville
Louisiana Carry - Keithville/Shreveport
Metallic- Shreveport (1 post on jan 18, 2010)
Holster72-Works at Barksdale
Sparky- Benton (1post on April 10, 2010)
Nimrodder-West Monroe
Itsmyright- Ruston
Justindodge1021-south of Monroe (1 post, Aug 5 2010)
Mindenglock-Minden/Bossier area
Appleseeder-Shreveport
Exfelon-Shreveport

From OCDO
55bowtie-Shreveport
One_shot-Texas near Shreveport
Rickmarc-Rayville near Monroe
Dreveil911-Shreveport area
99vengeur- Shreveport area
Syntax Error- West Monroe
Pro OC Cop-Northern Louisiana
Wendell chenault - Monroe
two8ez-Monroe
x-sheeple - West Monroe
GPossenti- Bossier City
None of these people got the message? None of them, not one, could show up on a Wednesday night? All of the others who may have seen the announcement from any of the other forums? That's sad. Truly sad.
Speedy says he may try again for a weekend. I'd say try something alot less formal. Just pick a Saturday and say, I'm going to be a Shoneys for breakfast at 10am on Saturday. Anyone else wanting to meet be there. Then show up. See if that brings anyone. IF not, personally I'd be mad.
We had lots of small 3 or 4 person meetups before we started organizing LOCAL. It takes a while here in Louisiana. Nobody gets in a hurry to get involved in things around here.

SO WHAT IT THIS ? Harrasement or intimidation or what. Do i need a note from my doctor???Call me out that will make me want to go to a meeting.There is a lot of bs on this forum in the la section, MAYBE THATS IT.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
SO WHAT IT THIS ? Harrasement or intimidation or what. Do i need a note from my doctor???Call me out that will make me want to go to a meeting.There is a lot of bs on this forum in the la section, MAYBE THATS IT.

It is neither harassment, intimidation nor calling anyone out. It most assuredly is not BS of any kind. There are growing numbers of OCers in the area and posting anonymous screen names with no negative reference can hardly warrant such a reaction.

Many do after all use the site user information to facilitate initial contact for meet-ups and the like. Are you saying that inviting you to participate by post or PM and making any reference to you in any context is a violation of some trust? The people here offer their hands in friendship, nothing more.

55bowtie

It is neither harassment, intimidation nor calling anyone out. It most assuredly is not BS of any kind. There are growing numbers of OCers in the area and posting anonymous screen names with no negative reference can hardly warrant such a reaction.

Many do after all use the site user information to facilitate initial contact for meet-ups and the like. Are you saying that inviting you to participate by post or PM and making any reference to you in any context is a violation of some trust? The people here offer their hands in friendship, nothing more.

So Yale doesn't answer for himself??????

georg jetson

So Yale doesn't answer for himself??????

Yale has already answered for himself... he pointed out that there are a number of people, including yourself, committed to defending OCing in the North La. area. In concert with him, myself and others are encouraging ya'll to get together.

Now quit being so sensative... GET TOGETHER!! We have work to do and nobody else is gonna do it for us.