• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 17 Open Carry Holster Recommendations

rienoelle

My hubby would like an open carry holster for his Glock 17 for Christmas and I'm hoping to get some recommendations. He would like it to be comfortable and reliable to draw from.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Jonton

Everyone has their preferences for different reason. Some prefer snug leather that's tight enough to provide level 2 retention, some prefer a looser leather with a thumbreak. Some prefer a well-fitting kydex holster using friction as retention, and some prefer loosely molded kydex with some sort of button release (like the blackhawk serpa holster)

find out what style appeals to him, either functionally or aesthetically. personally, I LOVE the look of a classic leather holster, but I'm better trained in using a Blackhawk Serpa Holster, and I think a lot of folks here will agree with me when I say that it's a VERY popular and secure OC holster.

just my 2 cents...
~Jonathan

rienoelle

Everyone has their preferences for different reason. Some prefer snug leather that's tight enough to provide level 2 retention, some prefer a looser leather with a thumbreak. Some prefer a well-fitting kydex holster using friction as retention, and some prefer loosely molded kydex with some sort of button release (like the blackhawk serpa holster)

find out what style appeals to him, either functionally or aesthetically. personally, I LOVE the look of a classic leather holster, but I'm better trained in using a Blackhawk Serpa Holster, and I think a lot of folks here will agree with me when I say that it's a VERY popular and secure OC holster.

just my 2 cents...
~Jonathan

Thanks for your imput!

MKEgal

The 2 that I use are a Fobus GL2 (kydex; paddle) and a Bagmaster (nylon; on-belt).

The Fobus has (for lack of a better term) friction retention. Have to yank it sharply to get the holster to let go. A couple times in a class it didn't let go, just pulled the whole thing off my belt & I pulled it off w/ my other hand. Wouldn't want to do that in Real Life. OTOH, the paddle is comfortable for me, & goes on & off my pants easily. I leave the gun holstered & remove the holster when I get undressed, put it all on my nightstand. This is a one-sided item - can't switch carry sides - and it's specific to the gun.

The Bagmaster has a strap w/ a thumb break, which is adjustable via velcro. It's not as tight as the kydex. This is more versatile if your husband has similarly sized guns he might want to use the same holster for. It goes on the belt, so is harder to remove but can be switched to the other side, or the back, if you want. It rides a bit lower than the Fobus, hanging from the belt instead of riding on top of it. The model I bought has a magazine pouch on the front, with a velcro strap to retain it.

Last edited:

robdoar

I carry mine in a Serpa.... Excellent retention, doesn't hinder the draw at all.
Serpa+Glock+17.jpg

Comes with a paddle and belt attachment.

Plus you can use it with a 19, 17L or 34, without a problem.

waapl01

Hubbys holster

just my 2 cents...
~Jonathan
I really like the blackhawk serpa holsters. Leather ones are also very nice, usually a tighter fit to the body. Just ask him what he wants/likes.

Super Trucker

Many training centers will not allow the Serpa holster to be used in their class, so keep that in mind when searching. There have been cases of the serpa not releasing the gun and cases of people having a ND while drawing using that holster during stressful situations (traning sessions).

Safariland makes a few kydex holsters, the 6377 in in the same price range as the Serpa and in my opinion more reliable.
I prefer a leather holster with a strap when OCing like the Galco Fletch, but own and use a few Safariland holsters as well.
I still have a couple Serpas but no longer use them.

40s-and-wfan

I carried a Serpa for a while and have nothing bad to say about it. It does take some practice in order to draw from it rapidly, but it can be done. I carry my Glock in a Don Hume leather holster and absolutely love it. It is tight enough to provide excellent retention and still gives me the ability to rapidly draw my handgun should the need arise. I prefer no thumb-snap but that's just me. Check out www.usgalco.com and see what's on there. They make great products but are pretty spendy. Find one that you think he'll like and then look for it on ebay. You shouldn't have much difficulty finding one on there. Or go to ebay and type in Glock 17 and see what pops up. Again, you shouldn't have any problem finding a good holster for a decent price!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Safariland 6377 Utilizes what Safariland calls the ALS (automatic locking system) which is disengaged by the thumb during the draw stroke. A very fast yet snatch resistant/secure holster

6377.jpg

I have one of these in the smooth surface model. The retention release thumb-=operated lever is more intuitive than is the finger-operated lever on the Serpa... and probably a safer design as well. The only down side is the side of the holster. For strict open carry and no hangups with entry and egress from your vehicle, this is a very good holster to use. I still tend to favor my Fobus Evolution belt holster for my Glock 23, however. But the Safariland 6377 series is a decent and viable choice.

NRAMARINE

I have one of these in the smooth surface model. The retention release thumb-=operated lever is more intuitive than is the finger-operated lever on the Serpa... and probably a safer design as well. The only down side is the side of the holster. For strict open carry and no hangups with entry and egress from your vehicle, this is a very good holster to use. I still tend to favor my Fobus Evolution belt holster for my Glock 23, however. But the Safariland 6377 series is a decent and viable choice.

So the thumb release is on the belt side of the holster near the opening?

SGB

This is a pretty decent video review showing how the ALS works.

[video=youtube;_CoNAwTqOLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CoNAwTqOLc&feature=fvst[/video]