Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie here

Cool newbie here

I just wanted to say hey to everyone I am glad I joined this forum I hope in the future I can get advice and listen to yalls past experience to help me educate people about OCing I am and will always carry legally in the open untill it is illegal and or I am unable please post your coments thanks again.

Oh yeah and I am thinking about buying a S&W M&P 9mm just want know what people think of the gun and if its a good and reliable OC gun let me know.

Cool

Welcome. I'm very new here too. I've found lots of info, and it's all very informative.

Welcome!

Sorry, no experience with the M&P.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

The S&W M&P has a very good reputation. They are carried as issued firearms by Maryland Park Service officers.

Although last sumer when I was at the Annapolis Blues Fest, 4 of the 5 MPS officers I asked couldn't name the make OR model of the gun they were carrying. Although I think the gun is a good firearm, the lack of familiarity among MPS officers did not inspire confidence in THEIR ablities...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Yeah that doesn't sound very convicing about their abilties when then don't even know what they are carrying pretty irresponsable to me but thanks on the info any other models of OC guns I should look into?

Quote Originally Posted by hydroxside View Post
    Yeah that doesn't sound very convicing about their abilties when then don't even know what they are carrying pretty irresponsable to me but thanks on the info any other models of OC guns I should look into?
    There are so many circumstances to determine a good model for OC. I hear alot about the 1911, XD's & XDm's and several others. Best to find what is comfortable and accurate with you behind the trigger.
    "God, Guns, & Guts Made America, Lets Use All 3!!!"

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many to list. The great thing about OC is you aren't limited by size, so you can pretty much carry what you want.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Yeah I'm only trying to spend about 500 bucks come tax time I've held thhe M&P I like the way it feels and the trigger pull the xd is ok handle wise I've. Havnt found a 1911 that has good sights and made good for around that price.

Welcome! I just purchased an m&p .45 full-size for oc, and live it! Fits my hand like a glove, better then the xd did. That said get what fits you best and you can shoot well. Where in NC are ya? Personal defense and handgun in Raleigh has an indoor range with rentals. They have both the m&p full-size and compact 9 to rent as well as some others.

Also if your interested in a 1911 option in that price range check para ordnance.
    Last edited by Maverick9110e; 12-08-2010 at 08:41 AM.

I live in thomasville thanks for the info on the m&p I would to get a 1911 but I don't know what kinda of para should I get?

I live in thomasville thanks for the info on the m&p I would to get a 1911 but I don't know what kinda of para should I get?

I was in the same boat, lol. I was going for the GI expert esp. I wound up going with the m&p mostly because I was not 100% comfortable with my field stripping abilities of a 1911, so I'm waiting to brush up on that. Plus it will give me time to save up for a 1911 that will cost a little more. Paras are good but they're on the low end of the $$ side.

Also if your looking at the M&P I spent a lot of time over at mp-pistol.com

High Point, North Carolina, United States
    The M&P is really wide in the grip and its hard to hold. But i'd ditch the 9mm and get a 40 or a 45...but that is MY personal preference...and that is why buying a gun comes down to. If a keltec fits your hand and you shoot it well, that is what you need to buy.

Para Expert 1911, you are looking at less then 550. my buddy bought one we went to the rang and put 590 rounds down it in 2 hours not one jam or hickup, its very accurate.

Where fould I get one at I know a gun storebut which one

Not sure about local shops by you but here is a good online source: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...hp/cPath/21_53

checkout archdale ammo and arms on 311 in archdale right by the pioneer restaurant they have a good selection on 1911s and pretty fair prices

the army navy surplus store on main street in high point. The Guys name is jack, good man and great prices. Its right before the intersection of Main and Ward street

I ve been to both those stores I bought my ruger at archdale they don't keep lots of paras there one of the guys that works there says he doesn't like them so he doesn't stock them. Jack had one para GI expert there I looked at it liked it but hasn't had any more come in inna while. I was thinking of getting that M&P from archdale for about 509 so I think that's what I'm gonna get but don't know if I want a 9mm or 40 cal so...........

I ve been to both those stores I bought my ruger at archdale they don't keep lots of paras there one of the guys that works there says he doesn't like them so he doesn't stock them. Jack had one para GI expert there I looked at it liked it but hasn't had any more come in inna while. I was thinking of getting that M&P from archdale for about 509 so I think that's what I'm gonna get but don't know if I want a 9mm or 40 cal so...........
    IMO the .40 always over the 9mm. Alot of people are shot with the 9mm and not really affected by it. Not so much with the .40.
    "God, Guns, & Guts Made America, Lets Use All 3!!!"

I've owned 3 1911's, all purchased from Jack. Best price on them I've been able to find.

Because its at my house. lol

Well folks the met at stameys went good I'm. Off to go shopping at friendly center we shall see how OCing goes with the prudes in g boro I will let y'all. Know later

Welcome hydroxside

It was good to meet you and the rest of the gang at Stameys today.

I can tell you that my best pal is a PO in Greensboro and his Dept began issueing the M&P two years ago and he loves it. The only draw back is you do need a speical tool to take it down. Other than that its just fine.

I will state tho he CCWs a Glock 23 just like I do. What can I say, hes a smart guy

Yeah I think the take down tool is what holds the back strap in so........ it was great meeting u aswell who is ur friend I might know him send me a pm or email me with it my email is hydroxside@gmail.com you where the one with the xd right oh and maybe we all can meeet uup in t ville next time for lunch or maybe high point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast